Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:52:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow long should be a Roguelite play through?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How long should be a Roguelite play through?  (Read 865 times)
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2014, 06:55:39 AM »

I'm quite new to Roguelites and didn't finish one just yet.

With the Dungeon of the Endless, I've got now 7 hours but only manged to get up to floor 6.

Uykered
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »

What does roguelite mean to you? Each game design will have a sweet spot you have to figure out yourself as you test it.

If the software is game-like then usually 10-40 minute sessions are good, if it's toy-like then it won't have a length at all, if it's story driven then make it as long as the story needs to be. It may also be useful to take into account the amount of waiting the player has to do alongside the actual game, with Dota 2 the session often lasts for an hour due to the loading and matchmaking times even if the game itself only lasts 35 minutes.
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »

I solved the problem. I just use progression and content as orientation to determine how many levels I need.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:52:27 PM »

It really depends on what the game is; no two roguelites are going to have the exact same pacing. A successful run in The Binding of Isaac, for instance, would be finished in around half an hour, and the same would go for Spelunky. When you incorporate turn-based aspects, no matter what they may be, things start getting longer paced. (Except maybe for Crypt of the Necrodancer, which has more specific time limits for each playthrough.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic