Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:53:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRe: Tower57 - Dieselpunk Pixel-Shooter (dinosaurs included)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Author Topic: Re: Tower57 - Dieselpunk Pixel-Shooter (dinosaurs included)  (Read 65711 times)
MrHelmut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2015, 11:34:44 PM »

Thank you guys for all those insights!

From my point of view of external observer, you really are managing your campaign well. You are very realistic and pragmatic, keep it that way and I hope it'll pay off. Beer!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »

Thanks a lot guys, for someone currently preparing a campaign it's really useful! Smiley
And good luck for the finish line, I'm sure you'll make it!

flashysquirrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2015, 12:47:33 AM »

really good work, the art are very well polished, i love the multi-step destruction of items (one gif reminded me the bonus stage of street fighter 2 when you must destroy a car)

Update 3 : Paper-dolling

- chopping limbs off : since every character is already essentially just body parts held together by magic (and code), it becomes very easy to chop off these body parts without having to redraw and animate every character for every possible combination of lost limbs.

About this guy beeing chopped off, i'm not sure wether it's just a development test, but the limbs being chopped off look very stiff, i think some rotation could be nice too !

Anyway, awsome work !

yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »

Congrats on getting kickstarted!   Hand Thumbs Up Left Well, hello there!Hand Thumbs Up Right
Looking forward to playing the game and chopping limbs off!

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2015, 02:04:02 AM »

Congratulations!

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2015, 02:35:42 AM »

Congrats! Looking forward to this as well!

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Kapten Kurre
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2015, 04:02:53 AM »

Hand Money Left Durr...? Hand Money Right Congratulations! Any recent updates?

Let's kick shell!
yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »

Hand Money Left Durr...? Hand Money Right Congratulations! Any recent updates?
I saw Cyangmou doing some more tiles on his stream the other day. I also saw on his twitter he was doing avatar stuff for the backers and tons of paperwork for the game Tongue

CyangmouArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »

First of all there is a detailled Kickstarter Post Mortem we wrote regarding our Kickstarter experience:
http://pixwerk.net/home/news/9-kickstarter-campaign-post-mortem

Well the most recent updates look like this:

-Benito currently does a lot of the administrative tasks.
He built together a really rough website with our own forum (which works)- but as far as i know currently no-one who isn't a kickstarter backer can sign up there.
anyways:
http://pixwerk.net/home/boards

Next to that he also does a lot of work on our mapping editor, which will be needed that we effectively can build all the maps needed for the game.
More info on that work on the game can be found here:
http://pixwerk.net/home/boards/dev-log/13-code-dev-log

And as far as my tasks go:
I had kind of a social-media oversaturation right after ks, because sending out more stuff in a single month that I did like the whole year before definitely affected me - I am getting slowly ove rit though

-Wrapped up some Kickstarter related stuff.
-did a whole bunch of level and game design ideasheets, including tons of ideas we had in all different videos, enhancing our own lists and putting in new stuff which should be possible to get coded
-Did all avatars for all backers who already said what they wanted.
-I finished the first version of the sewer background tileset, which includes now ~2200 tiles (I overworked some of the ks stuff we showed, finished half-finished textures, and it most likels will need some more work, because it's mapping wise untested, but aside from that pretty much done)
-I moved on to getting all "missing" tiles for Amor's Den and I will enhance it with a few new structures as well.

Since it's more or less all "groundwork", there isn't a lot to show right now. Nonetheless we are moving on constantly.
The big image heavy updates will happen monthly from now on, though we will drop a line on twitter, in our forums or whereever people are writing - if we stumble over it =)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:38:44 PM by CyangmouArt » Logged

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »

Games like this make me restore faith in humanity. It somehow takes me back to my arcade childhood, instant classic!

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2015, 12:30:07 AM »

Wow thanks a lot for the KS post-mortem, it's very useful! We're quite in the same situation (2 men team asking for a "realistic" amount), and it's really encouraging that you succeeded, the "hard work" part shows us the path to follow! Smiley If you don't mind I'll probably come back to you when our campaign will start (sometime next week).

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2015, 05:21:49 AM »

Hey Thomas (Cyangmou) glad to see you found time to fill in your own project and getting it funded!
The project looks amazing! Congratulations!
MrHelmut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2015, 05:40:29 AM »

Excellent KS article! Thank you for sharing.

Good luck to you guys, it looks like you have entered cruise mode!

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »

Progress Update

Welcome back!

I’ve been rather quiet this past couple of weeks, as I was busy fulfilling my obligations towards my (now ex) employer and helping my team ship the game we had been working on for the past year, and every free second of my time after that went into Tower 57 development.

As of today however I am officially unemployed (yikes!) which means both Cyangmou and myself are now fully dedicated to bringing out Tower 57 by the end of Q1 2016!

This means more regular updates of course, but also this week we will open up our Trello boards to Alpha backers and organize the coding sessions for backers who picked the Coding Guru tier. Furthermore we are refining the requirements for the News Stories and various Design rewards (statues, Easter eggs, etc.) and will progressively contact everyone involved so you can start designing your master piece ^_^

So what have we been up to all this time?

I will let Cyangmou update the art side in a separate post, but on the code front the following tasks / features were implemented (check out the forum thread for the entire log):

Editor

First things first, work has continued steadily on the editor, which has now reached version 1.1. This includes a lot of small fixes and changes to increase productivity, but also some very useful features that were missing such as a proper “fill bucket” :

which also works with auto-tiling :

and seemingly simple things like re-sizing your map :

Controls

Every action can now be re-mapped to a different key / button / thumbstick, including movement and aiming so that left-handed players can play comfortably (and single-handled players can play, albeit a bit less comfortably, by mapping aiming and movement on the same stick)

Content Creation

We want as many things as possible in the game to be mod-able through the editor (after all we did reach the stretch goal ^_^), which means all the little things like particles, footprints, smoke effects, bullets, body parts, etc. which were previously “hardcoded” in the game needed to be re-created in the editor.

In other words we are creating the content for the game using the exact same tools and processes modders will have at their disposal : no cheating Smiley Right now all of the aforementioned content has been created, and we are ready to start creating level-specific content (props, enemies, spawners, etc.).

Body parts and weapon upgrades

As outlined during the Kickstarter campaign, both body parts and weapons will be upgradeable: replace your legs for faster movement speed, replace your arms for better aiming, replace your torso for better armor, etc. The same applies to weapons: get a flamethrower with a bigger tank, a shotgun with less recoil and more spread, a tommy gun with a bigger clip size, and so on.

While this had been prototyped in the … well … prototype, the current systems needed some work to make this possible. Custom body parts and weapons can now be created through the editor and placed in the level or added to sales terminals with a few clicks, as well as equipped in-game.

Optimizing assets

Getting slightly technical for this one: textures / sprites in games are generally packed into “atlases”, big textures which contain multiple smaller textures, or various frames from an animation, etc. The reason for doing this is simply because “swapping textures”, i.e. telling your renderer “now stop using this texture for drawing, and instead use that one”, is very expensive in terms of performance. Using a texture atlas minimizes these texture swaps (e.g. instead of going through 4 32x32 textures, pack them into a single 64x64 texture, and access different parts of it to do your drawing).

However in the prototype, the system that builds characters our of body parts lacked support for offsets, meaning every part needed to be the size of the entire character, which resulted in a lot of “empty space” around each body part in the texture, which in turn resulted in a single character requiring 3 or 4 1024x1024 textures to be rendered (hope I didn't send any fellow programmers into shock...)

That is obviously *very bad* ^_^# It didn’t matter for the prototype as we needed to get it up and running quickly, and the performance hit - despite being real - is not noticeable for this particular case, but this was never intended to be the case in the final game obviously.

This is now fixed, and characters only require a single texture for all their body parts.

Terminals

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned somewhere in the campaign (or maybe it was on our indieDB page?) one of my favorite features of Alien Breed were the terminals, so that was definitely something I wanted to have in Tower 57.

Right now the basic menu flow and navigation are done, and the “news” section is functional : news stories can be created and added through the editor to any particular terminal, where they then appear in-game and can be browsed and read by players. This section will also host the news stories created by backers.

Players will also be able to purchase items through terminals, access security features such as disabling turrets and cameras or locking / unlocking doors, and as mentioned in the campaign they will also have a secret “debug mode”, which only the right character / tool can access, that will let you do some more cool stuff.

(yes you can make the text pop all at once by clicking - I know how quickly this can get annoying ^_^)

So that’s where we currently are, where are we headed then?

More regular updates: now that both of us are working full time on Tower 57, progress updates will become more common.

Music and sound effects: Raf has begun laying down the basics for the first in-game track, which will be used for …

The Alpha build: as mentioned during the campaign, Alpha backers will get access to our Alpha build. We are slightly behind schedule on the Alpha due to the editor work that was required by the stretch goal, but our goal is still to release it this month - we are just shifting from early December to late December ^_^#

The build will contain a test level, several weapons, enemies, collectibles, terminals, and some other “work in progress” features that will benefit from a larger testing pool. It will also contain lots of bugs, unpolished content, potential crashes, and will lack some of the cool features mentioned in the campaign. So … Alpha Smiley

Content creation: with the editor in decent shape and the codebase fairly cleaned up, we are now ready to start producing content, building levels, creating boss encounters, etc. The next big steps in that direction will be : (in no particular order)

- terminals
- enemies
- missing gameplay elements such as moving platforms, teleports, etc.
- mounts
- hacking
- NPCs
- coop mechanics

And of course a lot of level design and testing Smiley

I will post another update on December 15 to let everybody know how the Alpha is going.

Cheers everybody!

Marco / benitosub

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2015, 09:48:41 AM »

Is that a skinhead making an offensive gesture while... touching himself?  Cheesy

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2015, 08:28:37 PM »

I apologize that my ridiculous comment was the only response, now will someone please write something constructive? Roll Eyes

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »

No problem Seiseki

We were hard at work and wrote a few new updates.

the last one in which we talk mainly about progress on enemies and the limb system and posted a bunch of new gifs can be found here:
http://pixwerk.net/home/news/21-progress-update-and-the-beast

one of the gifs

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2016, 04:58:43 AM »

We finished the base of our HUB floor Amor's Den.

This level serves as the heart of the game and will serve some quiet minutes between the more aciton-heavy passages of action. The player is able to decide at his own pace how fast he will progress through the game, or if he will spend his time (and money) in the countless possible activities.
If you are interested in the finer details check out the in-depth news published on our homepage:
http://pixwerk.net/home/news/27-alpha-3-amor-s-den

Highlights of our progress:

-everything regarding NPC's (human enemies, talking, shopping etc.)

-level connections (elevators)

-minigames

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic