Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:20:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDad Beat Dads [Now on Xbox One]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Dad Beat Dads [Now on Xbox One]  (Read 24511 times)
bkw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »

Could you give some insight as to how you achieved the screen warp effect? Do you just have a duplicate of the player there and use some sort of masking?

Hi,

I do some of the coding on DBD.  We more or less duplicate the player, but just the stuff that matters, so the player sprites are duplicated, as well as the hurt boxes.  Other stuff like hit boxes aren't duplicated (or else multiple "hits" could be registered).  It's not actually another "player" that reads inputs and what not, more like a ghost that just looks like the player, and can be punched like the player (and when punched, it's the actual player that will feel it.)

So far we haven't had to do any masking, since we only wrap on the edges of the screen.

Hope that helps!
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »

Hi,

I do some of the coding on DBD.  We more or less duplicate the player, but just the stuff that matters, so the player sprites are duplicated, as well as the hurt boxes.  Other stuff like hit boxes aren't duplicated (or else multiple "hits" could be registered).  It's not actually another "player" that reads inputs and what not, more like a ghost that just looks like the player, and can be punched like the player (and when punched, it's the actual player that will feel it.)

So far we haven't had to do any masking, since we only wrap on the edges of the screen.

Hope that helps!

Hello,

That does help. Just one question regarding it though.

When the player goes through and the ghost is completely shown, do you then move the player to the position of the ghost and turn off the ghost?

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Great job on the coding. Everything looks smooth and from what I've seen, it plays smooth as well. Smiley

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2015, 05:03:29 PM »

Hey, maybe this has been asked already, but what do you draw/animate this in? I'm a fan of the art quality you have going and  interested in doing 2D animation myself for games.

I was thinking photoshop and image ready, but maybe you use something else?
siskavard
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »

Hey, maybe this has been asked already, but what do you draw/animate this in? I'm a fan of the art quality you have going and  interested in doing 2D animation myself for games.

I was thinking photoshop and image ready, but maybe you use something else?

We use Flash to draw & animate everything. Flash is horrible as a drawing tool, but if you know it's limitations, you can design around those, which is what we're doing. It's hard to get really clean thick & thin line art style with Flash's drawing tools, so knowing that we're keeping the line art on the dad animation fairly loose. The stage/Background art is also fairly rough, but overall that's just the sort of style we like & so that's what we went with.

I would not recommend animating anything in Photoshop, anyone that does is insane. Flash's drawing tools suck, but it's perfect for animating
bkw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »

Hello,

That does help. Just one question regarding it though.

When the player goes through and the ghost is completely shown, do you then move the player to the position of the ghost and turn off the ghost?

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Great job on the coding. Everything looks smooth and from what I've seen, it plays smooth as well. Smiley

Yes.  That's pretty much what happens.  When the player walks off the screen, the player "teleports" to the other side.  The ghost is setup so it always appears a screen's width away from the player.  If the player is on the left side of the screen, it'll be a screen width away to the right.  When the player is on the right side, it'll be a screen width to the left.  There's one ghost for the horizontal wrap (screen width away), and one for vertical wrap (screen height away).  There should probably be another one that's both width and height away for the corners, but so far the player can't ever wrap in the corners.  I don't ever bother turning off the ghost though, it'll just be off-screen somewhere when you're not on the screen edge.  You could though. 

Hope this is clear. Not sure if this is the right way to do things, or the best way, but it's working for us so far. =)
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2015, 10:36:50 PM »

Yes.  That's pretty much what happens.  When the player walks off the screen, the player "teleports" to the other side.  The ghost is setup so it always appears a screen's width away from the player.  If the player is on the left side of the screen, it'll be a screen width away to the right.  When the player is on the right side, it'll be a screen width to the left.  There's one ghost for the horizontal wrap (screen width away), and one for vertical wrap (screen height away).  There should probably be another one that's both width and height away for the corners, but so far the player can't ever wrap in the corners.  I don't ever bother turning off the ghost though, it'll just be off-screen somewhere when you're not on the screen edge.  You could though. 

Hope this is clear. Not sure if this is the right way to do things, or the best way, but it's working for us so far. =)

It definitely does. That's how I'd approach it too. It's something I've been contemplating about for putting in my game. You guys do it quite well and it works.

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it. Smiley

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
siskavard
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »

we got in to Gabe's secret society!!!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »

Congrats. That was pretty quick.

...It seems like just 9 days ago I was your first vote.

siskavard
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »

were we ever so young?
siskavard
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »

So, Sam is making such awesome music that we kind of want to show it off a bit. Here's a preview of the track from the Factory theme:

Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »

Congrats! Well deserved.  Beer!

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
siskavard
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »

I'm working on the stage art for our Factory themed Corporate Ladder. This is one section. It forces each player to race up the tunnels to get to the buttons first, which release all the platforms underneath them

siskavard
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2015, 01:21:21 PM »

we're finishing up all the stage art & will start animating 5 new playable dads next week.

We're also getting set up for Steam & Xbox One.

Dads.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »

5 NEW DADS?  Waaagh! YES YES YES YES

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
siskavard
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »

5 NEW DADS?  Waaagh! YES YES YES YES

Yes!

• Shark Dad
  • Construction Dad
  • Combat Dad
  • Fish Dad
  • Space Dad

also

ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2015, 04:06:20 AM »

Finally my shark/dad is getting some long overdue representation in games! He will be thrilled :D

Game is looking ace btw, can't wait to give it a try!

P.

siskavard
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »

^ thanks!

here's a loud vine of Factory themed Corporate Ladder. We just plugged all the artwork in & its super buggy but still awesome

Odorias
Level 0

Heroes Never Lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »

Haha, absolutely love your character designs, keep it up! :D

Game Design @ Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler's Perplexing Ploy.

Please follow our progress!
blog: http://heroesneverlose.com/
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heroesneverlose
twitter: https://twitter.com/heroesneverlose
tumblr: http://heroesneverlose.tumblr.com/
siskavard
« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »

thanks, the designs are mostly @tedwilson79

I'm starting animation on the new dads today, starting with Sam L. Dadson

Odorias
Level 0

Heroes Never Lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2015, 06:50:55 PM »

Sam L Dadson! HILARIOUS! :D I love it, keep it up!

Game Design @ Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler's Perplexing Ploy.

Please follow our progress!
blog: http://heroesneverlose.com/
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heroesneverlose
twitter: https://twitter.com/heroesneverlose
tumblr: http://heroesneverlose.tumblr.com/
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic