Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:27:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat the hell did you do this year? 2014 edition
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What the hell did you do this year? 2014 edition  (Read 3429 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »

Year's almost over.  Post what you did this year, doesn't have to be directly related to game development as long as it's creative in some way.

Me - Pretty lazy this year to be honest.

Made/edited art for new games (most of which I'm now considering not even making, oops).
Released a new game (which was mostly finished already to begin with).
Released some sound effect/sample packs (which were just sitting around my drive for years anyway).
Worked on/finished some game design documents (confirmed for IDEAS GUY).
Updated Liquidpaint, added DOS versions of the Allegro games (wow it's fucking nothing).
Added save game backup/restore tool for the Flash games (nice addition to have, but boring).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:21:44 PM by Udderdude » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »

Spent like 7 months doing some 3-man collab work which turned out to be kind of cancelled, but I've learned a ton of stuff when I was working with a professional, way better at programming (code & project design, networking and optimalization) than me, so that's nice.

Then, for the next ~4 months I was doing a certain app which I've successfuly finished. (Monitoring employees-related-stuff)

Now I've made a website for a friend. (http://www.beautifulfails.com)

Could've been better, but I cannot complain!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »

lots of design doc junk for various projects
worked on my game: including securing a programmer, starting my devlog finally, finishing a lot of the music for it, getting basic animations done, iterating a bit, getting the feel together, etc

did a lot of music work for other games

did all art assets and music and sfx for an iOS game someone else made

completed a 40 minute album (without vocals; still need to record those, but it's otherwise complete) to release in 3 or 4 months; cover art is looking really solid

lots of misc other junk

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »

Probably the most impactful year I've had in my life. It's a business development year for me.

Made a lot of friends.
Found a lot of mentors. I really recommend getting mentors, especially if you go indie, because you don't get to work with smart bosses or coworkers.

Programmed about 6 projects this year. Got paid for maybe 3 projects, because chasing debts is a hell lot more work than coding.
Started doing my own app. Planning to launch within 1-3 months.
Got a bunch of investors interested in it, but basically they're giving me 'it's cool but we're not sure you can do it' answers.

Learned a ton of things, like how to build a multimillion dollar business from scratch. Apparently the higher the business goes, the more they suffer. There's some energy conservation law in place. Like there are guys who work on their dreams for 13 years. They keep failing and on the 14th year they make $100M.

2014 is a year full of fail for me, but I come out of it knowing exactly what to do for the next few years.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

After the Early Access launch of Kingdoms Rise we have just been under intense pressure to finish it and that's all we've been trying to do this year.

I'm bummed that we're not yet finished but I'm glad that we are at least very close. I really thought I would be full-time on a new project by now but instead time feels like it's standing still Sad

I did at least get to launch one side project, a free mobile app called "Last-Hit Simulator" which got a whole lot more downloads than anything else I've put out as a phone game, so there's at least improvement there.

In eagerness to move on from the game that I've now been developing full-time for over 2 years I have started other side projects in the background which I hope to soon become my full-time effort.

Looking forward to next year - full launch of KR and moving on to new things Smiley

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »

Released a platformer and two mini games this year.

Made a ton of prototypes but none became a complete game just cause I kept losing interest in them.

Had a hectic year at work, I am thinking of quitting and work full time on my games.

I hope the next year is a good one Smiley

Pfotegeist
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »

Hopped around.
Learned to draw bunny caricatures.
Started posting on TIGForums.
Played with Synfig, animating somewhat.
Foraged for graphics software solutions.
Went on programming an amalgamated in-house game engine.
Hid under a chair.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »

Finished 10th grade with honors
Registered on tigforums
Started and almost finished a metroidvainia
Started an arena shooter thing
Made a bunch of pixel art stuff
Made a card game
Wrote the first act of a movie script
Went to Louisiana for a week
Re-read Narnia, Sherlock Holmes, and Harry Potter 1-4 (Great books)
Bought and played tons of really cool indie games, a lot made by you guys

I like this, looking back on happy things really helps deal with minor sadness.
I hope 2015 brings more cool stuff, for everyone.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »

Finished my first game.
Messed around and learned Unity pretty well.
Watched a ton of films, tried for two a day.
About to finish a second game before the year is out let's hope! Evil
Wrote a lot of stuff.
Planning stuff with many notebooks filled.

I hope next year is more productive.

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »

Looking back, it was a pretty cool year Smiley

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 04:15:36 AM »

Took a break from uni mid-year because I didn't like my degree. The break was seriously awesome. I haven't had significant time off school since 2010 so it's been good to rejuvenate. During the break I spent time on my art making. I've been focusing on building a body of work so that I can at some point exhibit and start selling my work. I've done some experimenting in new areas and refining my current style, and I'm very excited to see some of current projects finished. I recently started playing the harp again. Stoked to be playing again and hopefully I'll continue to play in the new year, but damn harp lessons/rental is expensive.

I also made a kickin' Don't Starve base earlier this year that got a lot of attention, including free stuff from the devs.

Going back to uni in Feb next year to study something art related. Looking forward to making more art, and possibly picking up game development again if time allows.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »

• Sold our house.
• Traveled across part of the US (I drove).
• Lived in Cali for a couple of months.
• Worked a little on my "first" game, almost close to releasing.
• Went to IndieCade, had fun, met Disasterpeace.
• Drove up to Washington State, met Zack Bell, walked around DigiPen and Seattle, climbed Mt. Rainier.
• Went to San Diego, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

All in all, it was a pretty awesome year.
Didn't exactly do everything that I planned to do, but hey, that's life.

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 02:30:16 PM »

I've finished two games, one of which was my first group project.  

Technically owned a company for four weeks.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »

• Released a family game on Steam this summer
  • Bought a house
  • Family game was a critical and commercial flop
  • Decided I don't care for commercial ideas
  • Not sure if buying a house was a great idea
  • Think I prefer "games as art"
  • Starting over. Setup twitter. Setup TIG. Embracing social indie.
  • Wrapping up new game ideas and concepts
  • Looking forward to 2015 and starting my first devlog...

Uncle Scotty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »

This is a cool thread for understanding the lives of other indie devs! I did a ton of things this year:

-Went on my honeymoon in the Caribbean in January-February after getting married in November 2013
-Did a ton of writing for my day job as a contract writer/editor
-Made a mini-game collection for Android called Anachron's Arcade that is full of rainbows and cute animals
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AnachronicDesigns.AnachronsArcade
-Published several updates to my Free Fireworks Livewallpaper app that unexpectedly snowballed and got a bunch of downloads
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AnachronicDesigns.FireworksLWP
-Competed in the 2014 Indie Game Maker contest run by RPG Maker and Humble Bundle, with the entry: Rogue Story Phase One
http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/457#.U7HfAvldWt8
-Competed in the Indies vs. PewDiePie jam on GameJolt and uploaded my a game to that site for the first time, called Too Many Fans http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/too-many-fans/38644/
-Competed in Ludum Dare #31 with the entry Gifts Galore!, which has now been added to my latest Android game: Uncle Scotty's Arcade At The End Of The Universe (AATEOTU)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AnachronicDesigns.AATEOTU
-Published an early version 0.3 of AATEOTU to Google Play, and went on a zero-budget marketing blitz that has been only moderately successful, but which led me to join these awesome TIGSource forums
-Did a ton of mountain and road biking and joined the Strava social network
-Deactivated my personal Facebook account
-And, saving the best for last, got my wife pregnant and experienced the birth of my first child, a beautiful baby boy this month!!! Smiley

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 08:34:39 AM »

Started the year working at The Creative Assembly unhappy with where my career was progressing (more through ambition than anything else) Took an unpaid sabbatical for 3 months to decide what I wanted to do. Travelled a little, made some art, learnt some new skills.. Basically realised I wasn't happy cause I was a small cog in a massive team. Made the decision to Change that by starting making my own games in my spare time.

In the summer a bit of upheaval happened, my flat mate decided he was moving home, So I decided to move house.. And found a really great flat much cheaper than my old place so I could save more money.

In September Julian My friend and the programmer I'd been working with on side projects decided to quit Creative Assembly and go freelance. We spoke and decided go Indie. And so I handed in my Notice period and on Nov 21st I became Indie.

since then its been awesome, started dating my current gf, got a load of work done, met some awesome new people, and started looking for an office.

Looking forward to what 2015 can bring.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:12:58 AM »

• Released a family game on Steam this summer
  • Bought a house
  • Family game was a critical and commercial flop
  • Decided I don't care for commercial ideas
  • Not sure if buying a house was a great idea
  • Think I prefer "games as art"
  • Starting over. Setup twitter. Setup TIG. Embracing social indie.
  • Wrapping up new game ideas and concepts
  • Looking forward to 2015 and starting my first devlog...
Thats a lot of responsibilities, good luck man.
I can't list all the stuff i did on 2014, that's impossible.
But the major ones would be:
-Programmed, drew and didn't release over 20 flash games
-Started developing So Long Earth
Other than that, just small stuff that would complement these two items.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »

Jack shit.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Zanenga
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »

- Released my second iOS game and ruined it's launch by a stupid mistake
- Started using Unity instead of Cocos2D
- Launched 4 short stories on Wattpad
- Participated on Ludum Dare 29 and 31 (my first two game jams)
- Worked on my largest game project to date for 3 months, then became unsure of what direction to take it
- Lots of new creature types, characters, places and historical moments for my fiction worlds
- Almost finished my first novella... but then decided to change it
- Got a bit more social (started using twitter more, created TIG and IndieDB accounts and went to events)
- Made a resume, business card and portfolio

Pretty awesome year for me. Made zero money, but learned a lot. Looking forward to 2015.

Hey! I'm a game designer/programmer/writer, and I like to make games. Smiley

@LucasZanenga Facebook
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »

• Launched my first commercial AAA video game, with a smooth launch!
  • Create my first Xbox One and PS4 applications (for testing)!
  • Integrated with the Xbox and PS networks for the first time!
  • Integrated xbox network services to a linux deployment, learning cryptography in the mix - this was much harder than it sounds!
  • Quit my job, and started my own company!
  • Got an alpha version of my game on the tablet!
  • Became part of the indie community, including the wonderful tigsource!

Great year indeed... I hope 2015 is as good... I really don't want to go find a "real" job, haha.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic