Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:40:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralShould I start losing weight at this point?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Should I start losing weight at this point?  (Read 6701 times)
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2014, 07:22:01 AM »

Hello there.

I'm fat Durr...?. I've been slim in the past though, I've been an overweight child until I was 9, when I stayed at the right weight for more than a year, but then I started to get fat, then when I was 17 I started to get slim again and stayed at the right weight for a year, then I got a bit overweight, then lose some weight again when I was 20 and got some muscles too Cool, at 21 however, I started to get really fat and nowadays (at 25) my BMI is almost 40! (Holy Sh*t!).

I don't really have a problem with food. I like good food (duh!) but I don't feel like eating lots of it, and I don't like candies and sweet stuff in general. The problem I think is that I don't exercise any longer. Also, for some reason I don't really feel like an old fat guy, I still have ninja reflexes (seriously, some days ago I was using my phone then I stepped on a very slippy mud and I slid like 2 meters downhill on a single foot. I was like "I'm THA Ninja" Ninja).

I know the obvious answer is to lose weight no matter what, however, I have few reasons for it:

- I don't have a single 'real-life' friend any longer that is not from my family; all my friends were all jerks and I had enough (so, no one to be ashamed of having a fat friend).
- I'm lazy/don't_want to exercise; I used to enjoy exercising but nowadays I simply don't feel like.
- I couldn't care less about being fat/slim--so far I haven't experienced any negative effect at all, and I don't give a single f**k to what people think about me.
- I don't have a gf any longer--I'd surely like to have a gf but it's not just about simple attraction (I grew up), I'd like someone to spend some quality time with, someone who thinks alike so I can talk and enjoy another actual person, I'm afraid that person doesn't exist though Sad, unless I go gay Beer!. (NOTE: I'm not implying that women are dumber/inferior than men, it's just a fact that in my life I haven't met any woman I could enjoy talking with, it's mostly because of religion though, I respect all religions and my family is heavily christian and personally I do believe Christ was a cool dude Cool and stuff, but I have my own opinion about religion and stuff, and that kinda affect the way I see everything, and I'd like someone who share that view, not simply 'tolerate' it.).

Also, one important factor is that I absolutely don't want those horrible hanging skins on my body, like lots of people have after losing weight. I'd rather be fat. Any ideas if I'll get those?

My plan to lose weight is simple, just cut the soft drinks and exercise when possible. It's a huge effort for such a lazy person though. Tongue

Any input? Thanks in advance.

PS: How do I add a yes/no poll here?
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »

May want to do walks around if going full on exercise is too much yet, at least it would be something. Just remember that you don't have to dash around (that'll just get you tired), just go take a walk around the park or something like that (and again: walk at the usual speed, what matters mostly is that you move).

Ideally maybe it'd be better to talk to a doctor to help arrange a diet and proper exercise in the long term. And don't be ashamed of talking to them, they're already accustomed and understand the problems =P (it's not as easy as people make it out to be, seriously)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »

Just two short remarks.
Being fat negatively affects health in the long term, that alone is a very good incentive to lose weight.
Relationships that aren't about 'simple attraction' need the attraction too, or at least it helps A LOT.

Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

May want to do walks around if going full on exercise is too much yet, at least it would be something. Just remember that you don't have to dash around (that'll just get you tired), just go take a walk around the park or something like that (and again: walk at the usual speed, what matters mostly is that you move).

Ideally maybe it'd be better to talk to a doctor to help arrange a diet and proper exercise in the long term. And don't be ashamed of talking to them, they're already accustomed and understand the problems =P (it's not as easy as people make it out to be, seriously)
Nah, as I said, I didn't feel a lot of difference, except that I can't sprint as much... I'm still much better at most sports than most of the skinny people around Smiley. People say that you lose the physical condition after being inactive for some months, but I'm basically a 'static machine' since I was 21 and this week I've walked like 5km without any issue whatsoever... It just feel like I'm wearing a heavy bomb suit Tongue.
Just two short remarks.
Being fat negatively affects health in the long term, that alone is a very good incentive to lose weight.
Relationships that aren't about 'simple attraction' need the attraction too, or at least it helps A LOT.
Yeah, I know the obesity eventually will affect my health badly, but perhaps when it begin damaging my 'meaty machine' I won't be as lazy to lose weight hehehe Smiley. You know what they say, it's never too late Tongue. Why should I start right now (the laziest phase of my life)?
And yeah, relationships need 'attraction' but that's not everything. Physical attraction is important but nowadays 'psychological attraction/affinity' is more important for me. Of course when I was in my teens everything was about physical attractions but I got over that.

The thing is, I need a real motivation to lose weight, perhaps if I were ashamed of my body I would have one, but that's not the case, or perhaps if I had some health issue that would be a good motivation, but so far the only drawback is more area to wipe Cheesy. I know that possibly the obesity is already affecting my health negatively, and I know it sounds dumb but that's not enough motivation... I've tried to put that into my mind, but if I don't see/feel any actual degradation in my health I don't think I'll have the motivation. My brain is dumb Smiley. I know that when something appears it could be too late, like, you know, diabetes or something, but that's how my brain works, there's no use arguing with it. Tongue.

Again, thank you guys. I know my text is boring.
JWK5
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »

I don't really have a problem with food. I like good food (duh!) but I don't feel like eating lots of it, and I don't like candies and sweet stuff in general.
It is not necessarily how much food you eat so much as what kind of food you're eating. Even if you are not eating a lot of sugar that does not mean the food you are eating isn't full of processing byproducts that contribute to bad health and weight gain. Research the food you eat, you'll be surprised.

- I don't have a single 'real-life' friend any longer that is not from my family; all my friends were all jerks and I had enough (so, no one to be ashamed of having a fat friend).
- I'm lazy/don't_want to exercise; I used to enjoy exercising but nowadays I simply don't feel like.
- I couldn't care less about being fat/slim--so far I haven't experienced any negative effect at all, and I don't give a single f**k to what people think about me.
- I don't have a gf any longer--
Sounds less like laziness and more like depression. Gaining momentum is a battle, especially when it comes to exercise. If you are trying to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you intake, the exact exercises matter less than their overall effectiveness at burning calories. Try something like the 7 minute workout, or some variation of it that works for you (Google it).

Don't exercise "when possible", commit time to it. Even a few minutes a day is better than nothing. Don't get rid of bad habits, replace them with good ones. If you take away soda replace it with something that is healthier that still tastes good. Replacing habits is easier than ending them. Stepping down is easier than cold turkey.
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »

I don't really have a problem with food. I like good food (duh!) but I don't feel like eating lots of it, and I don't like candies and sweet stuff in general.
It is not necessarily how much food you eat so much as what kind of food you're eating. Even if you are not eating a lot of sugar that does not mean the food you are eating isn't full of processing byproducts that contribute to bad health and weight gain. Research the food you eat, you'll be surprised.

- I don't have a gf any longer--
Sounds less like laziness and more like depression. Gaining momentum is a battle, especially when it comes to exercise. If you are trying to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you intake, the exact exercises matter less than their overall effectiveness at burning calories. Try something like the 7 minute workout, or some variation of it that works for you (Google it).

Don't exercise "when possible", commit time to it. Even a few minutes a day is better than nothing. Don't get rid of bad habits, replace them with good ones. If you take away soda replace it with something that is healthier that still tastes good. Replacing habits is easier than ending them. Stepping down is easier than cold turkey.
Thank you for your reply.

Depression? Nah.

That workout routine is really nice. Thanks Hand Thumbs Up Right. I was thinking about some hundreds of pushups and pullups a day but that link has some nice stuff.

Yeah, I'm gonna replace fanta with water... I drink like 2 liters a day and couldn't care less about it... I only really care to drink flavored stuff with meals, and generally I drink some orange/grape/cashew juice (natural).
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »

Wow, there is just so much wrong with this thread. Go see a dietician.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »

2 liters of Fanta a day... Shocked

I feel like even cutting that out alone is going to see some huge improvement.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »

Thanks guys (and merry xmas).

Wow, there is just so much wrong with this thread. Go see a dietician.

That's not the point. 2 liter of fanta have 600 kcal, I'm 100% sure that only cutting that (or replacing w/ water) is enough to lose some weight because I'm not getting much fatter (I'm quite short (5'10), if I were fatter I wouldn't need any equipment whatsoever to play this:

Grin). My meals are okay (afaik they are tailored by a nutritionist, except the diner of course)... I'd say they are super healthy considering how disgusting the veggies are Tongue. The badder the taste, the better for health :D.

2 liters of Fanta a day... Shocked

I feel like even cutting that out alone is going to see some huge improvement.

Yeah, I was typing exactly that when you replied Screamy.
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

It's Christmas! Merry Christmas!

Also, I think I should clarify that I don't think 5'10 is short in general, but for my family it is. Everyone is taller than me except for the women and grandpa, but that's cause grandpa is shrinking Cheesy Wizard. I can't complain though because it could be worse, for instance I could be fat or something... Oh, wait...  Cheesy Facepalm

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »

Merry christmas have a balance diet and aim at 27bmi max (life longer that 22 bmi anyway) if you walk 7mn per day it's fine, weight fat help absorb toxin and damper cortisol, hence why it's a defense mecanism, going slim isn't always a solution.

also if you don't feel like eating friend have been testing soylent whioth great success for a while and it works as a substitute, but eating is a pleasure might not work for you.

JWK5
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »

"BMI: is the body mass index formula flawed?"
Pfotegeist
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »

I felt sluggish till recently, to put it mildly. So I'll share something that changed my life.

Try boiling frozen vegetables in a broth. Also, keep it balanced, no more than half of what you eat should be vegetables. You'll have to go to the toilet frequently until your stomach gets used to all the super nutrients.

It's like, giving all the fad diets in the world the finger.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 10:22:30 PM »

Whoops I meant that elsewhere.

JWK5
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »

Christmas Croc works out.
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »

Thank you guys.

if you walk 7mn per day it's fine
You mean 7 micro nanometers? Yes, I think I walk about that dailydaily Tongue

No dogs allowed in my thread! Cheesy

----

Also, I've decided to lose weight cause I've tried to do some pushups just to test my current "limit", I was thinking about like 100 at once but for my surprise I couldn't perform even 10... I think that you don't feel much difference on the legs because you're always actually exercising them with your own weight, so they kinda naturally adapt to your weight and the "strength /weight" doesn't change much, but in terms of arms, that ratio changes a lot because the arms get weaker...

That means i probably won't be able to jump and grab the skids of an helicopter, while dodging commies bullets zapping over my head and a building explodes behind me, Rambo-style... That's ridiculous, any man should be prepared for that moment.

Now that's a reason to lose weight, and of course there's the fear of diabetes.

I'm gonna update this thread from time to time with the progress and I also hope to get some  support to keep going.

Thank you!
Pfotegeist
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »

Be safe.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »

I'm (too) thin I still fear diabetes not sure if weight is that important against that

Pfotegeist
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »

I'd feel more comfortable just to do the normal approach and encourage immediate weight loss. But I can't.

It's more important to be aware. Commercials want to sell things, that's the first problem. Ads on TV while I was still watching said this "milk can help you lose weight" but it can also make you gain weight. It would be more effective at increasing your weight, because of complete protein.

Not a well known fact is intense weight loss is unhealthy.

A relative of mine lost eyesight recently because of doctor prescribed medication for weight control, some diabetes trouble, and lack of information. Can't ever work at a job reading papers again.

Gall stones can build up, you'd end up in a hospital.

We like hearing we should eat meat and drink sugar, milk product often has sugar added. Be aware of diuretics, like caffeine, which make soda effective at causing you to drink more. There's a claim that new versions of soda has more salt and more caffeine.

Eat vegetables. Those should be green, leafy, and not seed pods (legumes). Other vegetables are less abundant in nature.

I'll quit bugging. But, I like to think I did something good. I'm not selling anything Tongue

edit: Ok I wasn't done. This is more of an opinion. I personally like natural, healthy looking bodies. (I think) your stomach should hang out, just slightly.
When you're finally adjusted to a healthy lifestyle, healthy foods taste better.
Also, if your body is at its nominal weight you'll feel good. really good.
If you starve yourself or eat wrong (another kind of starving), you'll be angry and impulsive.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:54:17 PM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic