Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:26:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOverrated games
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 39547 times)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2015, 05:17:45 AM »

I on the other hand found it finicky and kind of... un-alive. Just the character creation stuff with choosing your career basically felt like stepping on one of the glowy circles in a warcraft 3 custom map, and I got stuck a lot in the level not knowing where to advance. Should probably give it another shot.

Bioshock I really disliked for having every gun feel and sound like a peashooter. It has great atmosphere and presentation, but it just really blows as a shooter.

Consequently, I like Infinite better than the original Bioshock, it's a way tighter shooter. I really couldn't care less for all that item scavenging.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2015, 05:43:03 AM »

Haha oh that's interesting, but yeah definitely agree SS2 is very atmospheric and stresses me out in a fun sort of way, the rigid combat and movement makes taking calculated approaches to combat more effective which I really love. I get the most enjoyment out of playing OSA characters.

I got stuck a lot in the level not knowing where to advance. Should probably give it another shot.

You really have to make use of your resources/information you are given and logic. It's not really that hard, the most you have to do to remember where to go is look through some log files but it can be confronting if you're used to modern games constantly telling you where you are headed *cough* bioshock infinite *cough*.

whatevs i could splooge about this game forever.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2015, 05:44:17 AM »

Shovel Knight is overrated as hell.

It IS a good game, but it also has a lot of problems and inconsistencies. Anybody that argues this is because its retro, is a moron and should be beaten in the street.

~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2015, 05:45:16 AM »

Dragons in videogames are overrated IMHO. I mean, I'm not against them, and I even like Divinity II, but, other creatures and different kind of dragons / winged creatures exist in western and eastern lore :|

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »

dino, we need more dino, dinotopia

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »

I like dragons, but they're almost always in a villain role when I'm more interested in making friends with them and/or playing as them. Why must they be demonized?

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »

why not? the problem is there aren't enough good dragon boss fights.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:26 AM »

I like dragons, but they're almost always in a villain role when I'm more interested in making friends with them and/or playing as them. Why must they be demonized?
My game has a dragon end boss but there's an alternate ending where you can instead make friends with them, does that count? Wink

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2015, 04:14:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure you generally rather complete quests for and generally chat with Dragons in DnD computer games, partially because dragons are so powerful that they'd wipe the player party if they were hostile.

(I remember stuff like that in NWN, I think? Maybe NWN2?)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2015, 11:53:30 AM »

Baldur's Gate 2. And it was a white dragon - the weakest of chromatic evil dragons too.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »

Probably your mom.

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2015, 05:33:55 PM »

It IS a good game, but it also has a lot of problems and inconsistencies. Anybody that argues this is because its retro, is a moron and should be beaten in the street.

Can you give me some examples?

Overman
Level 0

Kid Genius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »

Agreed. I like how much content it has and how it has a genuine NES style (apart from minor things like relaxing the sprites on screen limit, having some colors the NES didn't support, etc.) Most "retro" indie games are just pixellated because of developer laziness, and neither look good nor even resemble any classic retro games.

However, I didn't like Shovel Knight because it felt really tedious. The gameplay wasn't really that interesting I thought. In a game like Megaman 2 it felt like there was something new on every screen, but SK gets kind of boring. Plus the stages are just so long and they take forever to complete. If the stages were half as long it would have been so much better. Sometimes, making games is like sculpture, and you must remove before you can add. I also hated the way you lost gold upon death, and it would end up floating tantalizingly over a pit or something... just not a fun mechanic.

Overall, good for an indie game, still nothing special or great in the grand scheme of things.

Genius game developer.
Me latest game: Rowan
http://www.overman-gaming.com
@OvermanGaming
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2015, 07:36:27 AM »

Yeah, my biggest issue with Shovel Knight is that some people seem to treat it as more than it actually is. It's just a platformer with some combat. The mechanics aren't necessarily that deep and the game didn't really go to unexplored territory at any point.
I think it's a fun game that's well-made, but yes, it is overrated.
The music and grafx were pretty good though.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »

shovel knight is a cut above pretty much every other recent retro platformer tho
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2015, 08:00:11 AM »

True, but it still is just that. A retro platformer, nothing more.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it just stays pretty safe with everything.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2015, 05:17:29 PM »

Shovel Knight is a success in what it set out to do, and none of the praise is unjust.
I don't see how it is overrated.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »

because people like to whine about pixels making money, is part of my guess

important note: i still haven't played shovel knight, though i've loved what i've seen and the little i've played, and the megaman-meets-ducktales 2 vibe is rad as hell. the art style is very coherent and appealing, even if it's not quite to my taste (i find that true color 8-bit (outside of maybe kirby's adventure and literally only that) tends to be really garish and ugly to my eyes, which is totally a personal beef), etc.

it's got charm coming out of its massive ass

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »

oh also here's another thing: so many retro platformers either play like romhacks or aren't actually very "retro" at all and just use the aesthetics of old games. games like shovel knight that convincingly imitate late 80s/early 90s platformers are actually not that common. so shovel knight fills out its own sub-niche in a way.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic