Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:18:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOverrated games
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 39550 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »

saints row 3 might be overrated. i haven't played it, so i have no idea. but the fourth one is fantastic

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2015, 11:44:36 PM »

saints row 3 might be overrated.
3 certainly disappointed me after 2. I could hardly play slutty-dress-up at all.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Dreii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2015, 04:05:36 AM »

here's one I think people can get on board with:

saints row the third

Yeah  my friends really got into that one and just like borderlands I had this feeling of "yeah ok cool this is a game..." I'm curious why though. These games obviously have some good qualities, my friends aren't stupid they don't get super excited about nothing. Maybe spmething about the game loop was just solved for me too early, I dunno.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2015, 05:08:48 AM »

Saints Row III is okay. Saints Row IV is a lot better, though. (I haven't played enough of Saints Row II to compare)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2015, 05:34:26 AM »

sr4 is best
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2015, 05:47:13 AM »

sr4 manages to laugh at aaa games in a fun way while also being one of the best examples of why they can be fun at the same time. it's having cake and eating it too every damn moment and pulling it off with flying colors
and flying

also i don't usually feel impressed or wowed at that kind of thing but the streets of rage chapter made my jaw drop in terms of how unexpected/effective it was

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2015, 11:17:15 AM »

ok guys, i think ill give sr3 another shot lol

i just remember that intro level really rubbing me the wrong way
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2015, 10:56:41 PM »

Its probably just me but I feel like while the borderlands series is alright, Everyone LOVES it.

ahhh yes that was another series that was a big disappointment for me. all my friends were obsessed, but when 1 was out my PC had crap graphics hardware so it was unplayable. when i FINALLY got a new one, literally the first thing I did was play through borderlands all stoked to finally try it and... it was just a half-baked morrowind with GUNZ. enemy AI was pretty terrible, and thoroughly bland. every single fight was just "find the AI detection border and cheese". maybe thats why they call it borderlands, idk.

Dreii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2015, 01:01:49 AM »

sr4 manages to laugh at aaa games in a fun way while also being one of the best examples of why they can be fun at the same time. it's having cake and eating it too every damn moment and pulling it off with flying colors
and flying

also i don't usually feel impressed or wowed at that kind of thing but the streets of rage chapter made my jaw drop in terms of how unexpected/effective it was

You've convinced me to give it another chance. I'll be honest I diddnt let the humor get a fair shake.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »

The TRON levels in SR3 are infinitely better than they were in SR4. The simulated rubberbanding is too fucking good.

Dreii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2015, 03:20:11 AM »

Its probably just me but I feel like while the borderlands series is alright, Everyone LOVES it.

ahhh yes that was another series that was a big disappointment for me. all my friends were obsessed, but when 1 was out my PC had crap graphics hardware so it was unplayable. when i FINALLY got a new one, literally the first thing I did was play through borderlands all stoked to finally try it and... it was just a half-baked morrowind with GUNZ. enemy AI was pretty terrible, and thoroughly bland. every single fight was just "find the AI detection border and cheese". maybe thats why they call it borderlands, idk.

You hit my problems with it right on the head. Its a shame too because I really dug the art style and characters had potential.
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »

My picks in recent memory go to Naughty Dogs repertoire of titles..Uncharted and the Last of Us. I'm not sold by the idea of a cinematic experience trumping gameplay innovation, which both titles had none to offer (Last of Us promised innovation but didn't deliver). Case in point:

Regardless, showers of GOTY despite the stale run and gun gameplay exhibited by each.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2015, 01:42:08 AM »

Run and gun gameplay? Did you even play The Last of Us?
I wasn't even that big a fan of TLoU but I think the majority of it's positive reception was well earned.

Naughty Dog achieved what they set out to do, write a story with interesting characters (even tho zombie stuff is pretty uninteresting these days).
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2015, 01:47:14 AM »

Naughty Dog achieved what they set out to do, write a story with interesting characters but for some reason it was in a videogame
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2015, 04:53:41 AM »

TLOU is overrated as hell. I agree completely.

It is, without a doubt, one of the most overrated and over hyped games I have ever experienced. Except maybe LTTP.

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2015, 05:12:08 AM »

saints row 3 might be overrated

To me it was a downgrade from SR2. It did have a more polished engine, and the gameplay was very fun, but it felt rushed out (spoiler: it was) and somehow smaller in scope than its predecessor, despite all the bombastic set pieces.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »

naughty dogs are clever, they don't innovate at all, they pick a working formula, polish it to hell because they have nothing to create, done! It's a sequel without original

Unchartred >> tomb raider with GOW (which was already resident evil 4 with machismo) cover and COD corridor
last of us >> unchartred + zombie

Of course they will make something god, they take no real risks

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »

Naughty Dog achieved what they set out to do, write a story with interesting characters but for some reason it was in a videogame

yeah das tru
brwarner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »

I think it can be easy to make the claim that a seemingly "dumb" or "derivative" game is overrated simply because a lot of people play it and like it (common example: CoD). Because if something seems dumb and a lot of people play it, and you don't, it makes it easy to just say they are dumb/uncritical/uneducated and walk away feeling like you are none of those things simply because you don't like a certain game. This ignores the fact, though, that people play games because they like them. If something brings you joy or happiness it doesn't make sense to label doing it as dumb, as what other option is there but to try to seek out what you like? It'd certainly be silly to only do things you hate.

Derivative things tend to be popular because they're familiar and safe, but just novel enough to have people enjoy them again. The novelty might not be enough for everyone, but it works for a lot. It's not like the people playing are ignorant of this fact. The people I know who buy the new EA Sports games every year realize the changes are minimal, but they still legitimately enjoy the experience, just like I enjoy Insurgency even though I can see the problematic trends of having all our shooters be about Americans fighting middle eastern terrorists.

Therefore I really think there's only two valid ways to define overrated

1) Reviewers are rating a game very highly because of other forces (from really explicit ones like literally being paid to rate something highly, or more subtle ones like having a relationship with the company and thus subconsciously feeling more lenient to them). Thus the game is literally overrated.

2) If people are making objectively incorrect claims about the game. These aren't claims like they like it or had fun, but things like saying something is "innovative" when it's very obviously not, or claiming a story has deep characters when they're cardboard cutouts of TV tropes pages painted in really pretty colors.

I guess in summary you can't really argue about how someone feels about a game, only the details as to why.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »

I found titans quest overrated, it feels sooooooo dull. I couldnt find anything special on the metro 2033/lastlight games. also as a fighting game fan i find street fight 4 overrated, while capcom vs snk 2 doesnt get enouff praise.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic