Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:38:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOverrated games
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 39588 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:16 AM »

CVS2 has... universal praise... and was/is insanely popular...

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2015, 10:02:39 AM »

i probably mean vampire savior then

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »

also very popular and there was massive hype around the release of a new game not too long ago. basically saying any capcom fighter is underrated is not true.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »

Even Cyberbots and Rival Schools?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »

not really "overrated" i guess, but to me space trading games (i.e. elite and its progeny) are much cooler on paper than they are to actually play. huge exceptions: star control 2 and space rangers.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »

not really "overrated" i guess, but to me space trading games (i.e. elite and its progeny) are much cooler on paper than they are to actually play. huge exceptions: star control 2 and space rangers.

Nice pun!

I like them for their slowness, but what would you improve to make them more fit for your taste? pacing?

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »

Even Cyberbots and Rival Schools?

Or Star Gladiator?

Or Project Justice?

Or Power Stone?

I'd say the first 2 are underrated, but I guess Power Stone probably isn't/wasn't.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »

Power Stone, Rival Schools, Project Justice, all good as hell and have lots of praise.

Star Gladiator was well received if I remember right but Cyberbots is trash.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2015, 09:55:43 AM »

Nice pun!

I like them for their slowness, but what would you improve to make them more fit for your taste? pacing?

i mainly dislike the flight sim aspect i guess. i dont like flight sims because im bad at them and get lost easily (poor spatial awareness or watever its called). also its tedious as shit having to memorize or write down prices, thats where space rangers HD shines. i like a lot of games with elite-like trading and "exploration" mechanics tho, such as sid meiers pirates (one of my all time faves!), euro truck simulator etc.

slowness isnt a problem, my favorite game is dark souls lol.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:01:42 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »

Yeah, I guess they did get a fair amount of critical acclaim and are recognized in the community, just never reached wider adoption.  
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:32 AM »

Yeah, I guess they did get a fair amount of critical acclaim and are recognized in the community, just never reached wider adoption.  

Which I think a lot of people use to classify games/media as "underrated". What does underrated and overrated even mean? Thats the real question here. Is Zelda actually good? Is life really worth living? Was it worth it to cheat on my girlfriend?

These are answers that nobody has.

~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »

Which I think a lot of people use to classify games/media as "underrated". What does underrated and overrated even mean? Thats the real question here. Is Zelda actually good? Is life really worth living? Was it worth it to cheat on my girlfriend?

These are answers that nobody has.
1) I don't know 2) Shinji said yes, but I say no 3) Which cheat did you use?

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:12 PM »

Nice pun!

i mainly dislike the flight sim aspect i guess. i dont like flight sims because im bad at them and get lost easily (poor spatial awareness or watever its called). also its tedious as shit having to memorize or write down prices, thats where space rangers HD shines. i like a lot of games with elite-like trading and "exploration" mechanics tho, such as sid meiers pirates (one of my all time faves!), euro truck simulator etc.

slowness isnt a problem, my favorite game is dark souls lol.

My dev sense are tingling, it's seems like an interface issue, but also a pacing issue. Basically what I get is that there is two cognitively different phases, the trading phase and the flight phase, trading game have generally a continuity of cognition all you do is trading, here switching mode is annoying, you play two game in alternance. Flight phase is unsatisfying because complex shit and also because if force locality in the trading, aka price is only visible after some time of annoying flight with no access to other spot instantly (unlike other purely trading games) to compare price.

When I mean slow, I mean in the time you kill a boss in darksouls (with failure counted in) it's the time of an uneventful flight straight in space were absolutely nothing happen at all. Get hype! station is in 300m straight line! no enemy, no obstacle, no nothing, just wait till you arrive and ask for authorization to land. Once in a while some pirates ... But hey you play paradox game I think it's a better example.

Maybe if we have all range starfox 64 like control and short distance between trade but fill with gameplay elements and an interface which give you access to all visited place price? what Do you think.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2015, 04:18:51 AM »

When I mean slow, I mean in the time you kill a boss in darksouls (with failure counted in) it's the time of an uneventful flight straight in space were absolutely nothing happen at all. Get hype! station is in 300m straight line! no enemy, no obstacle, no nothing, just wait till you arrive and ask for authorization to land. Once in a while some pirates ... But hey you play paradox game I think it's a better example.

i also play euro truck simulator which is even slower and less eventful than elite, but i like that because its meditational. elite is often just confusing & frustrating to me. i guess ETS would be too if i actually used a steering wheel and the realistic control option haha. seriously, ETS is basically elite with a truck. it even has the docking sequences (parking sequences). sometimes i wish elite (and similar games) let me do the same thing ETS does and let me skip those at a loss of cash.

as you probably know i also rly like morrowind which also has a lot of walking between places. the fast travel in the other bethesda games completely ruins the sense of scale you get in morrowind. thats also why dark souls only giving you fast travel halfway through the game was such a good idea: by the the time you get it you've already internalized the scale of the world, so it doesnt fuck up your sense of space the way fast travel in oblivion (and daggerfall and skyrim and dark souls 2 for that matter) does. but i digress.

paradox games are kind of a strange case because theyre so variable (esp my fave crusader kings 2). depending on who you play and what sort of political situation you're in, they can be either very close to idle games or some of the busiest micromanagement ever, and everything in between. that's whats cool about CK2 in general: it uses 1 ruleset (with some modifications for different cultures) to create genuinely divergent experiences. but i digress again haha.

Maybe if we have all range starfox 64 like control and short distance between trade but fill with gameplay elements and an interface which give you access to all visited place price? what Do you think.

welp, space rangers already does the 2nd thing. it has a great system where you can pin any info you get (including market prices for the planet you're visiting) to a bar at the bottom of the screen and look at it anytime. star fox controls would be a nice idea. i played a game called freelancer once which was supposed to be a space sim with "casual" controls, but i dont remember really liking that either. i dont remember why tho, i'd have to replay it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:26:46 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2015, 09:09:01 PM »

playing it recently, majora's mask is definitely overrated

still a very good game, but overrated (OoT is better)

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »

I think what makes Morrowind, Star Control II, etc. different is that those games' worlds have a lot of surprise in them, and you realize that pretty early in the game.  You come to trust that exploring is going to be worth your while. 

I don't so much feel that in Elite-style games; I kinda expect that my next destination will have the basic same stuff as the last one.  (But it might just be Elite-style games where everything is human or there's about one alien species and they're insects or cats or something but really they're just Klingons.)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2015, 12:51:47 AM »

i played a game called freelancer once which was supposed to be a space sim with "casual" controls, but i dont remember really liking that either. i dont remember why tho, i'd have to replay it.
That's probably because you constantly do repetitive missions (aka quests) over and over to earn cash in that game, and they always boil down to "fly in a straight line to target area (waiting), fight some enemies to the death / for an object / on a timer (= FIGHT), then fly back (waiting)". I like the game and genre, but that game seriously lacks variety imo.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 06, 2015, 04:16:41 AM »

well yeah, the original elite is pretty old. i was using it as a stand-in for all elite-likes (X, freespace, starlancer etc). i keep hearing wing commander privateer is good but i've never played it. i have it on GOG tho, so maybe its time to give it a try?
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 06, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »

I loved Privateer when I was a kid.  I'm not sure I could get into it now; I think a lot of the fun was the stories I was telling myself in my imagination, not the things I was doing and seeing in the game.  Not that that's a bad thing; I think older games were often quite good at stirring the imagination using minimal means.  But I couldn't have the same experience now.  Everything's well done, but nowadays it's hard for me to have a novel experience with open-world space games; the universes they conjure are often a bit samey.

My favorite space-trader was Nomad, but it's not the kind where you actually travel in between the star systems.  (The warp drive ends up meaning that the star map is just a fancy menu.)  It's a wonky game and not exactly a classic, but it got right two of the things I want from the genre: interesting SCII-style aliens and a genuinely open world that doesn't enforce a "correct" play style.  (Following the plot is optional, combat is optional, even trading is optional.)
MintBo@rd_9322
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »

I feel the most overrated game till date is Counter Strike!!!! Yes, to some extent, it's good, but after a while I have always just got bored with it! Whereas I think the Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer is much better than CS!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic