Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:47:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAre any dead genre left to revive?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Are any dead genre left to revive?  (Read 8340 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »

not a "genre" per se but i think tightly structured nonlinear hub levels need to make a comeback. not everything has to be a sprawling open world.

Metroidvania in 3D

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »

ARCADE RACERS.

I disagree with the sentiment that beat 'em ups died - not only does Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers both keep the gusto up, but I think on the whole, it evolved from multiplayer-focused to single-player-focused, and became the DmC/GoW/Bayonetta it is today. They're far more beat'em'up than anything else.

That, and good DDR/GH/RB wannabes need to step it back up.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »

Also, now that licensing has killed it - we need a new Marvel vs. Capcom.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »

that's just two examples. i hardly see any beat em ups beyond those two games.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »

They are indie like croiseleur, it's niche but it is there

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »

Revive != AAA scale

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »

like the ones in mario 64 and crash team racing?

yeah. and deus ex and vampire bloodlines. i guess deus ex human revolution qualifies as a recent game that uses this format?? 1 game does not constitute a comeback tho.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »

I would say this is rationalization, there was good reason as to why previous dead genre where dead, it just happen it wasn't as true as we just stop making them for conjunctural reason. Worse is that many modern genre should not even exist based on rationalization ... the fuck is idle game or dayz or goat simulator, we can rationalize them a posteriori though

In those cases that's the main point of those games though.

With 6DOF it depends. If it's like you just battle other ships or something like that, you absolute position doesn't matter: you can just look at your next target in the radar, turn around until it's centered, then thrust or shoot as needed. But I know of cases where the game tells you to go somewhere and because that location is too far to be seen (either by yourself or by the radar) that tactic doesn't work at all, then you better be able to warp there or otherwise you're likely to get lost. I had this issue with Star Cruiser (which wants you to travel to planets giving only the 3D coordinates) until I noticed it has both autopilot (which you can break out of if the need for battle arises) and warping (which sends you straight to the planet at the expense of a chunk of energy... but not worse than travelling manually).

Maybe 6DOF games just need better navigation systems. I wonder if I should look into this...
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »

I think 6dof game didn't evolve much, there where hybrid between space simulator from elite legacy (either having the full trading gameplay or just dogfighting) and FPS ethos (level based progression with scattered encounter). They weren't a genre into themselves (ie didn't take off) as much as a twist on other genre IMHO (my rationalization). We still refer to descent at best or forsaken at worst and everything else tend to be dogfighting game from aircraft or spacecraft in arena (level design is downplayed).

I think it is a genre that need a revisit and some modernizing.

(maybe taking cues from metroid prime for exploration)

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »

Star Cruiser (the game I mentioned) was a RPG actually, for the record. 6DOF was used when travelling in outer space (e.g. when going to another planet), while FPS perspective when inside a planet or a station. It stayed Japan-only though (the Mega Drive version was about to get localized, but it got utterly destroyed by magazine reviews and so it was cancelled).
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 10:38:38 PM »

Yes, 6DoF metroidvania.  That's what's missing.  Getting to know the layout and conceptual structure of the world through multiple passes, revisiting old areas with new knowledge and abilities, etc. 

Even though getting your head around the levels was a big part of the fun of Descent, there hasn't really been a 6DoF game where the whole point was "Learn this world".  I'd love an exploratory 6DoF Metroid Prime-like game, maybe where you're exploring some giant alien Rama-like artifact in zero gravity.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 10:51:40 PM »

Metroid/Descent crossover? Yes please, that could work so well.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 08:19:11 AM »

"astroid"

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 11:00:42 PM »

GOOD Gauntlet?

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »

Now, 3D platformers are pretty dead.  A Hat in Time is the only notable example I can think of right now.
It looks like there are quite a few indie 3D platformers in development right now, though.  I think Nintendo is one of the few mainstream devs putting out high-caliber titles for the genre, but there are some promising-looking ones in the indie scene, too.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »

yeah. and deus ex and vampire bloodlines. i guess deus ex human revolution qualifies as a recent game that uses this format?? 1 game does not constitute a comeback tho.

don't forget dishonored, mario galaxy, and a dozen other games with "hub worlds." it's not that rare.

I think 6dof game didn't evolve much, there where hybrid between space simulator from elite legacy (either having the full trading gameplay or just dogfighting) and FPS ethos (level based progression with scattered encounter). They weren't a genre into themselves (ie didn't take off) as much as a twist on other genre IMHO (my rationalization). We still refer to descent at best or forsaken at worst and everything else tend to be dogfighting game from aircraft or spacecraft in arena (level design is downplayed).

I think it is a genre that need a revisit and some modernizing.

(maybe taking cues from metroid prime for exploration)

6DOF did modernize, albeit awkwardly. Space Engineers and Miner Wars 2081 are both 6DOF games by the same company.  Shattered Horizon was one of the first DX10 games and was a stellar example of 6DOF multiplayer, although it didn't do so hot bc it was released during Windows Vista and not Windows 7. Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen both utilize 6DOF flight, although Elite does it moreso than StarCit.

I would definitely love to see a Descent-like come out, though, maybe with a hub world and cool lore stuff. I doubt it will, but I would love if it did.

GOOD Gauntlet?

Hammerwatch

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

I'm not sure star citizen is teh lesser 6dof game of the two, in fact I think it totally embrace it as vectoring became a big part of the flight sim they have.

But yeah I use 6dof as a genre to differentiate with game "with" 6dof. And By that I mean descent like level progression and complexity (aka being inside a structure full of obstacle) not empty sky or space with occasional canyon on the floor.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »

don't forget dishonored, mario galaxy, and a dozen other games with "hub worlds." it's not that rare.

the hub in mario galaxy is a joke
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »

Yes, 6DoF metroidvania.  That's what's missing.  Getting to know the layout and conceptual structure of the world through multiple passes, revisiting old areas with new knowledge and abilities, etc. 

Even though getting your head around the levels was a big part of the fun of Descent, there hasn't really been a 6DoF game where the whole point was "Learn this world".  I'd love an exploratory 6DoF Metroid Prime-like game, maybe where you're exploring some giant alien Rama-like artifact in zero gravity.

Oh my god this would be amazing.  I was thinking of a metroidvania game set inside an alien thing like that but never ended up paying it much thought because I couldn't think of any unique mechanics in 2D.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »

If gamers are dead is gamers a genre that needs to be reviven? Is hip hop just a euphemism for a new religion?

I agree though, Outrun-style point-to-point time based arcade racers pretty much do not exist anymore, although to be fair the Outrun games were the only series I remember really getting that /genial/.

I can't think of many rail shooters of late, either. Shmups, sure, but nothing like Panzer Dazzizle.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic