Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 04:04:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAre any dead genre left to revive?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Are any dead genre left to revive?  (Read 8338 times)
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2015, 07:51:52 AM »

I want some single player RTS's I fucking hate MP RTS's to much of a "remember what to click fastest in specific order"

I want a Dune 2 style RTS with a full story for multiple factions in the game., unique units per faction etc.. maybe DLC campaigns or Steam workshop campaign maker so people can make cool things.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »

starfox/panzer dragoon style 3d rail shooters

(yes i know theres a new starfox coming out)
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »

I'd like more RTS games, but relaxing ones with long build times and possibly production chains. Like Settlers or Castle Story. You know, a nice non-f2p game to have some minions working on your second monitor.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »

I miss good rail shooters. house of the dead 2 style being my favorite.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »

"New version of Monopoly" reminds me of Fortune Street, one of the few original ideas in the genre to come out semi-recently. (though I think that series and board/game show type games are more regular in Japan)

Fortune Street has existed since 1991, it was just never brought over until recently.

But now that you mention it, I don't recall many recent board game video game releases (that aren't actual board game adaptations). The only recent new board game I can recall is '100% Orange Juice'. Beyond that, I only know of the old Fortune Street and Mario Party (plus spinoffs like Wii Party and SSB4's Smash Tour) series still going strong.
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »

But now that you mention it, I don't recall many recent board game video game releases (that aren't actual board game adaptations). The only recent new board game I can recall is '100% Orange Juice'. Beyond that, I only know of the old Fortune Street and Mario Party (plus spinoffs like Wii Party and SSB4's Smash Tour) series still going strong.

I was going to say Culdcept and Culdcept Saga, but looking them up that was actually quite a while ago (2006 and 2008).

I don't remember whether Qvadriga was ever an actual board game; I thought it was but I can't seem to find it.  And speaking of ancient stuff, 7 Grand Steps.

Do we count card tableaux as boards?  (While I can maybe see excluding CCGs, I would still say that something like Prismata is as much a boardgame as Dominion is.)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2015, 11:13:59 PM »

I want some single player RTS's I fucking hate MP RTS's to much of a "remember what to click fastest in specific order"
Single player isn't really better though (if the AI can think faster than you then you'll be screwed again).
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2015, 11:16:58 PM »

I was going to say Culdcept and Culdcept Saga, but looking them up that was actually quite a while ago (2006 and 2008).

Culdcept is also an old series (1997) in addition to having no new releases.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2015, 07:32:17 AM »

Single player isn't really better though (if the AI can think faster than you then you'll be screwed again).

The advantage of single player RTS is that you can make the challenge uneven, so the player has advantages the AI does not and visa versa. Like in the final levels of Warcraft II's campaign where you're put up against impossibly powerful enemy fortresses, but because they're only programmed to send out small waves of troops you can fend them off and gradually win. It's still challenging (the enemy has an overwhelming advantage that you have to gradually whittle down) but because the AI is limited in approach, it's possible to win.

Tower Defense games are a good example, where the enemy and the player are playing completely different games.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic