Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:05:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs#3 - Arcade Maze Driving Game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: #3 - Arcade Maze Driving Game  (Read 18407 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:17:49 AM »

Hey, there.

So I'm a crazy man who's gotten tired of not actually finishing anything and so have decided to try making little, fun-packed games in just a week per game. Each game will retail for a very low price as well (not sure of the specifics yet; might vary per game). I won't necessarily make a new game EVERY week, but that's the goal. This (Shakecan Games) is the label for those games. So you know that if you're getting a ShakeCan Game, it's gonna be simple, quick, and cool. This doesn't mean I'll drop any games in production; either they'll be paused or worked on in tandem with Shakecan Games.

We'll see how things go!

_________

Completed Games:

#1 (1/5/15) - Pockette Rox - Top-down infinite shooter
#2 (2/9/15) - Kyro - Adventures of Lolo-like
_________

Current Project: Airgrift - 2.5D Arcade Survival Game???

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:56:33 PM by SolarLune » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »

Original First Post:

GAME ONE - Pokette Rox

This one's gonna be inspired by Pocky and Rocky for the SNES. There'll be two characters (who might control differently if I have the time to implement it), optional co-op gameplay, and lots of hectic shoot-y goodness. The game already generates a level layout randomly, which saves me time on creating levels. The plan is that when you explore the levels to a certain percentage, it'll choose whatever room you're headed into as the "action room" and spawn a boss in there. You'll explore the level, beat the boss, and then head on to the next zone. Pretty simple overall.

The camera tracks to the middle of two existing players if there are two; otherwise, it'll track to just the one active one. I'm going to add a big invisible wall around them to keep them from walking off away from each other, though I guess view splitting could also work (so that when you get far away enough, it splits into two views for each player). This could open up interesting "separation" game mechanics (where the game separates you until you press a switch or fulfill a condition), though it also would make bosses impossible (unless it warped the absent player to the cell of wherever the boss is). Definitely stuff to think about.

The grass waves in this area.

Anyway, this is basically all I've got for day one so far. Thanks for reading!

______

Welp, I had a ton planned today, but didn't get much done, unfortunately. However, I did manage to add some particle effects and tweak the game to work effectively with two players (now they can't get too far apart, or else they'll stop moving).

Tomorrow'll be enemy time, I think!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:57:45 AM by SolarLune » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:38:02 AM »

I'm still trying to find a good camera setup; can't be too close or it'll be too annoying to have enemies show up off-screen. Can't be too far, or the details can be lost. I'll keep balancing it, I suppose.

The first enemy type and formations, this time. I can create the formations using groups in Blender, and the enemies will spawn in in the same relative positions as where I placed them in Blender. A basic particle system's working, but no explosions or anything "cool" like that yet. The enemy itself is a basic "float forward" kind of enemy; easy to dispose of, but they come in heavy numbers.

oxysoft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:13:28 AM »

This looks really cool, I'm thinking it would be a kind of 3D seiken densetsu-like game. The pictures themselves are very inspiring and now I want to make a game with this kind of camera setup
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:46 AM »

Hey, thanks.

Didn't get much done over the weekend, and didn't get much done today, either. Sad

I did some tweaks and finished another enemy, but I'll have to pick up the pace if I want to finish sometime this week (I technically should be done somewhere between tomorrow and Wednesday, but whatevs).

I made this, though, which sounds pretty awesome, I think.

jiitype
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 04:13:44 AM »

ooh ooh I love 2D objects in 3D space. I've done some prototypes kinda like this and always wondered why there isn't more games with this look.

Good luck Hand Thumbs Up Right
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:40:36 PM »

Thanks!

OK, so I'm almost done with the first game.

I implemented the GUI today, and got a few subsystems working. You can die now, and you can take damage as well. Come to think of it, I probably should have implemented this stuff way earlier, but oh well. I'm already way over-due (it should have been done on Wednesday, and it looks like it'll stretch on into tomorrow (Saturday) at LEAST), but I'm glad it's pretty much done. There's not much to it, but that's kind of to be expected, and I think it's okay that it's light on content.

Like I probably mentioned already, I'm planning to sell these games I make in a short time for a low price (just a couple of bucks, I think) to see if I can make enough to work on them full-time. For a game made in a week and sold for a couple of bucks, it'd only take a couple hundred sales to make it worth it for me to continue working on them. I think this would be preferable to Kickstarting a game idea or something, since the price is way lower and people can see your track record in regards to creating products. If they like an idea, they can wait a couple of days to see it realized, rather than waiting months to see an updated demo of a to-be-released (maybe) product.

It's worth a shot, I think. I'd make a mistake if I didn't try.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:54:05 AM by SolarLune » Logged

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »

I really REALLY like the aesthetics. Makes me want to go at 3D games, always have wanted to try Blender's game engine but kinda gave up after a few tries.

The trees bother me a tad, feel that they could blend a bit more with the rest.

Really interested on games made in short time so I will definitely keep coming back as long as you keep posting!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »

@kraed - Thanks a lot! I'm glad people like the aesthetic. The trees are a bit off, but that's OK. There's some bugs, but that's OK. What's important is that THE GAME IS FINISHED!

HEY

HEY

HEY

VID HE O HUR

GAME'S DONE HERE

LET'S ROCK

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »

Congrats on the release. Any chance of a win32 version for people like me with incredibly old computers?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »

Sure thing! Itch store page updated with another build for Windows 32-bit.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »

ENERGY ENERGY ENERGY  Waaagh!

Yeah, looks kind of frenetic! Looks cool! I will say that based on the video, the audio seems like maybe its a touch grating when you put all that action together (all the sfx and the music combined, basically.) Still, looks like a solid arcade quickie.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »

Sure thing! Itch store page updated with another build for Windows 32-bit.

Thanks! Now I'm having a different problem: on the menu I can go up and down but I can't seem to select either option.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »

^ What key are you using to select the options? Check the readme - the same one for shoot is the one to select an option (it's J or K or something like that).

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »

oh shit how have i not seen this before
solar lune going all out with a new project and it looks amazing so far.
i love the aesthetics, you should keep going with that first game
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:10:37 PM by EddCoast » Logged
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 05:37:54 AM »

well made, congrats on finishing it! Looks super good, really would like to see this game go further (so probably will contribute to the cause Smiley ).

keep going at the short games!

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »

^ What key are you using to select the options? Check the readme - the same one for shoot is the one to select an option (it's J or K or something like that).

Ok, there's part of the issue: the readme wasn't included in the Windows zips. Also in the readme you have the controls for player 1 backwards. Anyway, now that I got it working I'm off to try the game.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 03:35:57 AM »

I waffled throughout the week trying to find a game I could make, and finally decided on this just today or yesterday or something. The next game is going to be a Lode Runner-like called "Lodemen". Side-scrolling, puzzle maze game. You can dig out pieces of the ground next to you. Co-op in Lode Runner games was really fun, since you couldn't run through each other, IIRC, and you could stand on each other, making co-op puzzles different from single-player ones. I'm planning to implement some co-op mechanics and hopefully make it unique through a few other mechanics if I can work them out effectively. I'm using the BDX engine (which is still unfinished and just a pre-alpha) for this. Hope it works out!

jiitype
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 03:53:56 AM »

Aww Pockette Rox doesn't work on my old ass PC :c Congrats on finishing it though! Hopefully my PC will run Lodemen.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 12:46:41 AM »

@ugabuga - That's unfortunate. :< Maybe you're missing the C++ redistributable (for Windows) or something?

Didn't get much done today, either, unfortunately, but I'm pressing on nonetheless. Got ladders working and a basic enemy entity moving towards you. No animations or anything yet, though.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic