Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:19:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIXEL PRINCESS BLITZ : Roguelike Action RPG
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: PIXEL PRINCESS BLITZ : Roguelike Action RPG  (Read 10879 times)
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 12:26:47 AM »

I really love your style, the artworks and pixel art are gorgeous! Good luck with this project!

Deidril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 01:00:42 AM »

The art is lovely, and the music is no less than heroic ! Kiss
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 02:20:39 AM »

Thank you very much! As you said, it's a bit hard to estimate it for now. But I feel that each session should take between 2~4 hours, depending on whether you engage in those additional story branches or not, and how many dungeon runs and quests you are gonna do during that session.
The 1-hour gameplay of FTL or The Binding of Isaac felt a bit too short for me. What do you think?

Hmmm, I personally really like FTL's and BoL's format because I know I can finish a run in one sitting and there's something reassuring about that. I think FTL's and BoL's success was at least partly due to their short format, particularly because a lot of let's players on Youtube found it perfect for making a bite-sized series out of it (which is great for marketing purposes).

But I think if you actually have a branching story with long-term decisions, romancing options, and multiple endings that aren't just cosmetic, then I think a longer format is better simply because you can't fit all of that in a 30 minutes or 1 hour run without seriously impeding on the actual gameplay. Pacing is important in stories, so if my mental image of this game matches how it's actually going to turn out, then I think a longer format will only benefit it.

Though, you wrote it's going to be a hard game, right? Losing a 30min~1h run halfway through is already bitter, but if you basically lose a 2h~4h run (assuming this game has permadeath(?)) it will sting even harder. That's of course good incentive to do better next time, make smarter decisions etc., but it might alienate some players when they can lose so much time and effort in a single strike. I think FTL and BoL struck the right balance there, but those games didn't put any emphasis on the story whatsoever, so their short-ish format only worked to their advantage.

Haha, sorry for going all analytical on you. Bad habit of mine. Tongue Just go with what you think is best for now! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right You can always get some feedback on the game's length once you have a working prototype running.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 02:15:20 PM »

On one hand, that's a very interesting mechanic that's a nice way to reward players for good play/decisions, and it circumvents the problem of possibly frustrating players when they die after they put a lot of time into one run. I also like the layer of depth it adds to the gameplay.

On the other hand, it might take away from an integral part of rogue-likes: their inherent difficulty.
Many rogue-likes are designed in a way that they're very difficult if not nigh impossible to beat on your first couple of tries, and it's only through repetition that you learn the ins and outs of the game. If the game is too easy to beat, there's little incentive to play it again and again until you eventually make it to the end, after all. At least that's true for games like BoI, FTL, Spelunky, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Nuclear Throne.

(How prevalent the RNG is would be another thing that's probably going to be of importance. In BoI for example, good RNG can basically win the game for you. On the flipside, bad RNG can grind down even the best of players. In comparison, Nuclear Throne has a lot less RNG is much more reliant on skill. I think both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.)

I'm trying to think of rogue-likes that took on a long form-ish approach to the formula, but I can't think of all that many. (I'll exclude Rogue Legacy because I'm not entirely sure it has an actual fail state.)

Darkest Dungeon - The format isn't quite comparable because most of the time you're grinding away on one file and only really restart from the beginning when you realize there's no way you're going to win anymore.
Plus the game is still in Early Access at the time of me writing this so it's difficult to really pin down. In fact the game had an update a couple of months ago that caused a huge backlash. Even before the update, many people said it was too RNG reliant and it only got worse with the update. The game had been very well received before it, though.

Invisible Inc. - I'm a bit uncomfortable mentioning this one because I haven't played it, but I think it might make for good reference. The length of the campaign is somewhat comparable (one reviewer mentioned it took them 5 hours) and the game is critically acclaimed, so a longer format definitely works and can be successful.

The Swindle - Haven't played that one either, but you mentioned a day system and this game has it as well. Most of its negative reviews are due to its clunky controls it seems, so the longer format works well for this game as well.

This War of Mine - Haven't played this one either. Actually, I should probably stop; I'm really bad at this, haha.

I think all of the games I've mentioned above have a very different "feel" to them compared to the rogue-likes with a shorter format. I prefer the latter as I've already mentioned (and demonstrated) because I prefer starting from the very beginning every time and being in constant danger of losing my entire run if I make a big mistake. It seems like all the longer format rogue-likes shy away from this model. Or at least, I don't know of a rogue-like that went that route and did it successfully, either commercially or mechanics-wise.

Bottomline is this: I don't know. Maybe it turns out great, maybe it ends up being too frustrating for most players. Personally I still think it's worth exploring that route. Though, I think the faster you can get feedback from playtesters on this, the better. And maybe some other people can chime in as well because I'm basically just spitballing here.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »

Is paragon/renegade a spectrum (ala mass effect) or are they separate gauge you run extra check for events (ala princes maker)? The latter do amazing thing with its idea

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »

That's great! It add so much more nuances, like characters calling out your righteous character lol as good deed don't erase bad one

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 04:24:32 AM »

I agree with Jimym GIMBERT. That system sounds awesome! Grin
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2015, 12:09:26 AM »

The alignment system sounds interesting, curious to see how it will turn out. Those pixels look amazing too, I dig the art style!  Toast Right

Noyemi K
Level 0

[ * ] - we are all so hapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2015, 12:20:17 AM »

Hey, I saw your facebook posts on this game. Count me as another excited future player!

I'm also happy to hear that the alignment system isn't entirely binary like Mass Effect, etc. (didn't really like it there) but I'm really hoping you don't beat the player over the head with morality though.
Pix n chips
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2015, 07:59:46 AM »

Your game looks gorgeous, I can't wait to see some in game gifs. I'm really looking forward this project. Keep with the good job.

lanzegames
Level 0

We strive for good fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »

Your game looks gorgeous, I can't wait to see some in game gifs. I'm really looking forward this project. Keep with the good job.

Thank you, brunoxzx!  Grin

wonman321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »

Following!
Really like the gameplay and world map UI. Good, simple and easy to use
 Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Monsters X Monsters: Devlog

Twitter | Facebook
lanzegames
Level 0

We strive for good fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2015, 12:37:02 PM »

Following!
Really like the gameplay and world map UI. Good, simple and easy to use
 Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you wonman321, I'm glad you like it :D

brantkings
Level 0

I like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »

I'm following too! Been seeing some pics on twitter and got me hooked right away, great animations.

lanzegames
Level 0

We strive for good fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »

I'm following too! Been seeing some pics on twitter and got me hooked right away, great animations.

Well, thank you too! I'm really glad to see some reaction Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »

Yeah, this looks rather interesting. Posting to follow!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »

is this the cousin of wendigo?

lanzegames
Level 0

We strive for good fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »

is this the cousin of wendigo?

This is the first time I have heard of Wendigo. Sure looks like it, doesn't it?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »

I'm asking for a friend, she is fond of baphomet type lol I hope princess blitz haven't her eyes on him though Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic