Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411620 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 07:07:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBest practices for livestreaming development on twitch?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best practices for livestreaming development on twitch?  (Read 1377 times)
JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »

I've livestreamed development a couple times and would like to do it more, but it felt pretty awkward.  It's weird talking to them through a mic and having them reply with text chat -- I'm sure you get used to it, but I felt like I didn't know what I was doing.  So I'm wondering if you all have any tips on livestreaming game development in general -- maybe we can create a best practices guide.  

Some random thoughts:
  • What kind of tasks are best?  Code?  Art?  Level design?
  • Maybe give them a few options from your todo list and let them pick what you work on?
  • Especially with Twitch's crackdown on copyrighted audio, what do you do about working along to music?  Is there a good resource for pre-approved tracks or something?
  • How long is the ideal stream session?
  • Sometimes the devstreams I've watched are less work and more just showing the game or showing what they've recently done.  Is that better than actually working on the stream?  Maybe do both at different times?
  • What are some other ways to just make the stream more entertaining in general?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:30:14 PM by Justin Pierce » Logged

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »

Hey Justin. I'm gonna run through these with bullet points bc I'm on a phone and am lazy, not bc I'm trying to be terse  Beer!

For reference, both myself (data, gameplay, map building) and my brother the artist stream development of Brigador. I probably average 10-20 concurrent viewers while he's more like 15-25. Anyway, here's my thoughts on all this:

-you get comfortable with spoken responses to text, though we've both done a text only sessions for various reasons (I have roommates, brother has a kid). Doesn't seem to make a big difference so long as you're engaging with and responding to people. Speaking is nice though bc you don't have to stop what you're doing.

-closest I've gotten to doing code on a stream is data integration and management; not as exciting as making art for the game (that tends to be our most popular stream type), but people were still engaged so long as I explained what I was doing/changing as I went along. So long as the game and new changes get shown from time to time we've always been able to maintain at least a small audience. Visually oriented work tends to be the best though, unless you're Casey Muratori working on Handmade Hero. Most important thing just seems to be that you're actually doing something and engaging with people talking in the chat. Sometimes that can turn into big tangents but things like that can help build regular viewers. Whatever you're doing, just be interesting. I realize that's very opaque sounding advice, but for example while my brother was streaming work on a new vehicle for the game there was a discussion on the progression of 1950s firearms and later one about modern trends in the aesthetics of suburbian housing. Stuff that had little to nothing to do with what he was working on or our game, but it was an engaging conversation and people who came in stuck around for it. It's not like you're a talk show host where every beat and conversation point has to be dictated by you; play it fast and loose, say hi to people when they come in (esp regulars), and just shoot the shit while you work on stuff.

-occasionally it can be nice to give people a choice, but bear in mind a lot of people watch twitch streams in the background or while multitasking, so most people don't chime in much or at all.

-this sucks, because good playlists/DJing is honestly one if the main reasons people stick around as long as they do-- we get complimented as often on our music as on the game itself. For now we just use copyrighted stuff at the cost of the recording, but we'll probably end up migrating to hitbox for that very reason.

-for length, 2-4 hours is typical for us. You can do longer as there's people in various timezones who like this stuff, just make sure you re announce it occasionally on your various outlets (twitter etc)

-whenever we get new people in we always take time to introduce and show the game for at least a bit; only takes a few minutes for people to decide if they're interested in your game or not, but it's impossible if you don't show it and people have short attention spans.

-good music is a big one. Also we both get pretty goofy sometimes. Ive found drinking on stream loosens everyone up  Grin  I'd advise against putting on any kind if a persona; people are really curious about making games and game devs, and they're usually appreciative and interested in just having an honest look at what it's like.

Hope that helps. Either my brother or I should be streaming sometime in the next few weeks so feel free to swing by: twitch.tv/stellarjockeys and twitch.tv/gausswerks

The one other thing I would say is make sure you post to as many outlets as you can to announce streaming-- despite posting on steam, twitter, and our forums, we still get people coming in late or after, sad they missed out bc they didn't know a stream was going on or bc they missed the announcement. Streaming on a regular schedule can help that a lot.
Cheers, and best if luck. Post your twitch channel so we can come heckle  Gentleman

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

Cool thread - I'm thinking about investing time into doing something like this in the near future too, so would be interested in how more devs do this.  Coffee

superdupergc
Level 0

hack.shoot.loot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »

Hey, my friends are talking about something I have experience with!

I stream fairly often (at twitch.tv/blackicethegame if you must know) and I agree with most of what Hugh says.

I actually mostly stream code, and I've had a lot of people come in and enjoy that, surprisingly.  I mean, yeah, people seem to like particle effects and gameplay stuff more, but there are still people who like watching debugging and UI work.  Most of the people I have show up are gamedevs themselves, so I often take time to show them how I'm doing some finished part of my code that they ask about - most often level generation.

I always try to stream with a camera and audio, because I feel like that draws people more. It's a lot easier (and faster while you're coding) to speak to people instead of typing.  One thing I find very useful is to keep talking about what I'm doing regardless of whether I think someone is watching, that way if someone comes in to an empty room, there's still something entertaining going on. After a while, you'll get people talking to each other.

For music, I just do Pandora in the background. Twitch only mutes recordings of copyrighted music, so it's fine if you're livestreaming it, as far as I know. Alternately, you could just put on the soundtrack to your game.

I try to stream for at least two hours, but I've gone on longer. Make sure you have plenty of water and don't feel bad if you have to take five for bio.

I know people do enjoy seeing the latest finished stuff I've done, but I think seeing the workflow is also very interesting to some people.  One of the best nights I had was doing an entirely new projectile type (visible in the top right of this gif) from start to finish, just to show them why setting up a modular system is useful.

But yeah, most people watch streams for the interactivity, so try to get conversations started with your viewers. Ask them questions if they're not asking you questions Smiley

Check out Black Ice at superdupergc.com | @BlackIceTheGame
HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »

Also it's pretty handy to embed the chat into the video stream, especially for people who watch the videos after the fact:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/script-twitch-irc-chat-overlay-txt-output-last-fm.2713/

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »

Also it's pretty handy to embed the chat into the video stream, especially for people who watch the videos after the fact:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/script-twitch-irc-chat-overlay-txt-output-last-fm.2713/

Yeah I've been looking at ways to do this, but haven't found one that works for mac (other than simply popping out the regular opaque chat window and having it visible in stream).  Mac OBS doesnt' seem to have all the features of Windows OBS yet. 

superdupergc
Level 0

hack.shoot.loot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:29:31 PM »

Honestly, just dragging that window onto your screen isn't a big deal. I also tend to repeat the questions that people ask me before I answer them, just in case others aren't watching the chat.

Check out Black Ice at superdupergc.com | @BlackIceTheGame
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic