Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:24:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Which screen-capture software should I be using?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Which screen-capture software should I be using?  (Read 3230 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »

I'm making a showreel to show my animation. I want to include some game footage, but all the screen recording software I've tried really wrecks the framerate.

I've tried CamStudio, HyperCam2 and Adobe Captivate.

Actually, HyperCam2 would probably be allright if I could get it to stop outputting the video at a stupid sped-up framerate Sad
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:03:02 AM by I_smell » Logged
Chman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »

FRAPS, maybe ? Works great, but it's not free.
Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »

I use CamStudio when I need to record windows UI, and Fraps for everything else. The latter costs money, but is good.

Taksi is an open-source alternative to Fraps that may meet your needs; it's not quite as good though.

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »

Camtasia. Only one that works for me.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »

but all the screen recording software I've tried really wrecks the framerate.
You're using a piece of software that copies the screen buffer, frame by frame, on to the hard drive. If your hard drive write speed is slow or processor or memory is not up to snuff there is no software that will fix this problem. The only solution to your problem may be an upgrade. UPGRADE!

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:00:55 AM »

You're using a piece of software that copies the screen buffer, frame by frame, on to the hard drive. If your hard drive write speed is slow or processor or memory is not up to snuff there is no software that will fix this problem. The only solution to your problem may be an upgrade. UPGRADE!
Not strictly true. Recording a DirectDraw/Direct3D based game with an app like Fraps will be significantly more efficient than doing so with an app like Camtasia or CamStudio, because they use fundamentally different recording techniques.

You're still definitely going to be bound by the capabilities of your hardware, though. It may help to use a high-speed lossless codec like the ones provided by Fraps and CamStudio when recording if you're bound by hard disk throughput - most hard disks can't handle saving high-res uncompressed video at high framerates, so a lossless codec can help ease the burden without significantly impacting your recording framerate.

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:08:36 AM »

Another vote for FRAPS here
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:23:08 AM »

I use Fraps as well.  I remember having trouble making it work with an old 2D game that used the Win32 GDI (I think I ended up using HyperCam to capture video of that one), but for everything else, it's been terrific.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:15:07 AM »

I can never get Fraps to work properly unless I'm recording a 3d game.  Camstudio works well enough for me once I figured out how to capture at a decent frame rate.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »

I fixed this problem yesterday by using HyperCam2, but making the actual size of the game window smaller. It fixed the framerate.
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »

I know this is a PC question, but should any Mac user read this, I heard people saying SnapzPro by Ambrosia Software, also Camtasia Studio by TechSmith is out for the Mac now, but I really grew fond of ScreenFlow by Telestream. It's a great software for all the basic editing and recording needs.

Cheers,
Chris

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic