Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:25:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF 2015 - The finalists are announced...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: IGF 2015 - The finalists are announced...  (Read 2321 times)
Danny Hayes
Level 1

An Indie developer, co-Creator of PONCHO!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »

Thoughts?

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »

To be honest, I slowly grow tired of the yearly IGF discussions/rants as well as the thing itself.  Shrug

Otherwise looks like a pretty solid lineup, the few mandatory questionable choices (else Heart.Break() for visual excellence?) notwithstanding. Weird to see This War of Mine there, though. It's a great game, but hardly indie by any definition I can think of.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:57:48 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

everything is indie nowadays

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »

To be honest, I slowly grow tired of the yearly IGF discussions/rants as well as the thing itself.  Shrug

Otherwise looks like a pretty solid lineup, the few mandatory questionable choices (else Heart.Break() for visual excellence?) notwithstanding. Weird to see This War of Mine there, though. It's a great game, but hardly indie by any definition I can think of.

uh, why isn't it? 11bit self-published it, they're far from a AAA studio...?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 06:15:29 PM »

Dunno. Valve and UbiSoft also self-publish their stuff. Pretty much everyone does nowadays thanks to digital distribution, so it's not a meaningful criterium. And while 11Bit may not exactly be AAA-scale, it's still a pretty large company. With stock market presence, shareholders, several levels of management, and all that.

Imagine they win and, instead of actual authors taking the stage to accept the award (the designers of TWoM went indie recently and don't work there anymore), you get a PR department delegation. It just doesn't feel right or in "indie spirit" to me. And then the $30k reward is absolute peanuts to them anyway.

I mean, I know there's technically nothing wrong with their nomination, as everyone's indie these days, but I would say it's... uhh... in poor taste maybe?  Shrug
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:27:19 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »

I really don't get how the vanishing of ethan carter is nominated for audio but not for visuals. It's immensely pretty, but I remember nothing about the audio. Maybe it's subtle audio that influences your mood without you really noticing?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ElVaquero
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »

Anyone know if that's a new build for The Outer Wilds that got nominated? Cause the public one is like 2 years old.

Also I am dying to play a new/final version of TOW
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 01:03:15 AM »

uh, why isn't it? 11bit self-published it, they're far from a AAA studio...?
Half Life 3 indie game of the year 2016

Danny Hayes
Level 1

An Indie developer, co-Creator of PONCHO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:07:51 AM »

I really don't get how the vanishing of ethan carter is nominated for audio but not for visuals. It's immensely pretty, but I remember nothing about the audio. Maybe it's subtle audio that influences your mood without you really noticing?

I felt the same. I also think it's a shame Hyper Light Drifter wasn't nominated, when I submitted PONCHO for the IGF, when they announced the entrants I was like: "Damn. Well their pixel art is so much better. There goes our chance at being nominated".

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:32:35 AM »

Dunno. Valve and UbiSoft also self-publish their stuff. Pretty much everyone does nowadays thanks to digital distribution, so it's not a meaningful criterium. And while 11Bit may not exactly be AAA-scale, it's still a pretty large company. With stock market presence, shareholders, several levels of management, and all that.

:O I didn't realize it was large at all. I mean, you look at their 'about' page and it's four guys on there.
Huh!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 01:38:19 AM »

Yeah, Ethan Carter really deserved that visuals nomination imho. I know realism isn't "in", but they used some interesting photo-scanning techniques and there's actually some nice stylization going on for it. And it's all made by what -- two artists?

As for audio, I dunno. The music is very nice, but I thought the award is for more than "hey, I like this tune".

:O I didn't realize it was large at all. I mean, you look at their 'about' page and it's four guys on there.
Huh!
Those are just the upper management. The entire company is around 50 people or so.

Tom Grochowiak
Uykered
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:09 AM »

http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2015.php?id=7939

Killer Queen looks like the best game by so far.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:01:16 AM by alastair » Logged
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 04:59:31 AM »

That were my first thoughts as well, precisely.

I also remember a time when these kinds of threads would be overflowing faster than a 1l bottle placed under the Niagara Falls. How times have changed!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 06:03:47 AM »

Indie doesn't really mean anything anymore, so it's just another games festival

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 06:17:42 AM »

its also just not that important for exposure anymore now that greenlight and kickstarter exist
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »

did paul eres win yet
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 03:11:32 PM »

is he still alive? has he been subsumed into a nutritious andv alue packed 150kg sack of lentils from amazon.com?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 04:13:26 PM »

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 04:47:09 PM »

the few mandatory questionable choices (else Heart.Break() for visual excellence?)
You really don't like else Heart.Break() looks?  TBH I think it has a gorgeous style.  Definitely belongs in the list of finalists.
PartyPooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 07:52:48 PM »

Killer Queen looks like the best game by so far.
i hope this is figurative speech
cause it looks like someone took a shit in pixel form and programmed it using their elbows
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic