Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:26:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIndustry Advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Industry Advice  (Read 827 times)
Kiya.K
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:28:44 AM »

Hi there everyone.
I'm sure you get this kind of post all the time, but I cant help but ask too.
So here's the deal. I'm currently at university studying Computer Science with a Games Engineering masters. The course also has a year in industry too. The university is also one of the best in the UK.
Problem is, I still don't feel like this will be enough to get me into the gaming industry post-uni. I'm working on my own little game now, sure that'll help, but I was wondering what you guys thought. Is there anything else I can and should do?
I'm not looking to be working AAA games, churning out shallow games year in year out. I would rather get my foot in the door for the indie scene, if that makes sense.

Thanks everyone

Kiya
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:35:55 AM »

If you want to make indie games, you can just make indie games. There's nothing stopping you.

Such an education wouldn't be wasted, though. If you decide to skip it, you may find yourself a few years down the line wishing you now had the time to get a proper education. You may not.  Shrug

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:47:03 AM »

There's also a lot of AAA studios that are supposed to be great. I know the league of legends team loves their job. (At Riot Games).

If you want to get into the industry, just make a lot of games. It's supposed to be good to have a degree, unless you have an amazing portfolio. But in any case, you should make a lot of games (well, actually, a few well polished games).

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:13:36 AM »

There's also a lot of AAA studios that are supposed to be great. I know the league of legends team loves their job. (At Riot Games).

If you want to get into the industry, just make a lot of games. It's supposed to be good to have a degree, unless you have an amazing portfolio. But in any case, you should make a lot of games (well, actually, a few well polished games).

I think that depends on who you talk to, Ive met several former Riot guys who haven't been to impressed by them.. Same goes for a lot of big studios, I know people from Blizzard who love/loved working there and same goes for people who found it too corprate etc..

A Job is a Job - If you fit in with the Company Culture, get rewarded fairly for it, Your work is interesting and challenging. Your likely to enjoy it and be positive... If you clash with people and the culture, feel underpaid, and you end up just churning our work, your likely to hate it...

For example I worked at The Creative Assembly for 8 years it was a great Job, awesome team, but by the end I didn't feel challenged or excited, and thus you to go to work feeling "meh", so I decided to change.. I'd still recommend the place to people though... But also I know former people who left who hated working there for various personal reasons.

As for the OP

Want to do Indie? Start doing Indie.. It's that simple. Make a game yourself, find people to collaborate with, make small games first and go from there. At worst you end up with a portfolio piece.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »

If your question is "how can I get more out of my college experience to increase my odds after graduating," here are some ideas:
* Always be working on a project. Always.
* Focus on polished, great looking demo pieces over lots of small, simple games.
* Network. You're in a place with a bunch of like-minded individuals doing the same thing as you. Get to know as many people as possible. There's a good chance these people will be your colleagues for a long time, and it's very beneficial for them to have a positive impression of you.
* Network with professors. A lot of them have industry contacts. They'll get tapped for internships, promising hires, etc, and if they know your name your odds of getting mentioned increase.
* Research outside of class. You get out of college what you put in. A ton of students skate by doing the bare minimum, and they've got a diploma but not much else. Some companies will hire those people. For a game company, though, you probably won't make it past the tech test.

Getting your "foot in the door for the indie scene" can mean a lot of different things. Do you want to start a company? Do you want to join an established company? Do you want to go it alone? The "indie scene" is vast and varied. But as others have echoed, it can't hurt to start making games now. Smiley

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »

be wary of heavy machinery from china
justindies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »

It sounds like your school will give you a lot of programming experience. If you just focus on being a great student you should have no problem getting an entry-level programming job.

But on top of that, you should try to ship a relatively simple game while you still have the safety-net of being a student.

Just don't get stuck in the trap of creating systems instead of games, or else you might find yourself working in AAA.
arrogant.gamer
Level 0

Deep down, you probably agree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 03:13:29 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you: I'm finishing university soon and I want to be able to work right away. I can't tell you how to make this work, but I can certainly tell you what I'm doing!

First, I made a bunch of games. Start small, make something with a tiny scope. Participate in game jams, and try to figure out who's "winning" and why. I was lucky enough to have my first game scored highly in the Ludum Dare and the result was some articles on blogs here and there. It was a tiny interactive fiction! Like I said, start small.

I started blogging and tweeting about other people's games. My feeling was: if I put the effort in now to spread the word about other people and their dreams, then when it is my turn to say "hey everyone go vote for me on steam" or whatever, I won't just sound like some rando. This isn't tricky: get a blog and post a few articles, throw up some links to your work. Get a twitter and don't just use it to say hi to people: post links to games you liked and mention their authors.

Number 1 on my list, though, is to find the local community. The city I live in (Vancouver) turned out to be an amazing place to make friends with other indies. Your city will too, no doubt! Go to networking events, like a local gamedev meetup. It can be really hard to talk to strangers (I certainly find it painful and frustrating) so I get around this by trying to always bring a game I've made to the event. Sit down with your game and your beer and people will come to you! Being at the centre of attention is often a lot easier than trying to navigate its fringes.

Don't stop there! Try to plan your moneys so that you can make it to some big industry events. I'm pretty poor, but I make sure that I can make it to PAX every year. Then I just wander the indie megabooth trying my best to say "hi" to folks. Remember to say "Hi, I'm Bob and I make games too!" rather than just "OMG U R HALF OF VLAMBEER". Folks will remember you if you introduce yourself and maybe ask them a question they were not expecting.

This year I also went to IndieCade and met a ton of awesome people! That was really hard because, unlike my local event where I am showing games, I wasn't showing any games. Because I spent a bunch of money on airfare, I felt a lot of pressure to "network" rather than just hang out, and as a fairly introverted dude that made the event pretty stressful. It can be tough, but it is certainly worth it to get out there and make some friends.

Yup! So, I haven't "made it" yet or even graduated, but I intend to be making games for a long while and this is how I've gone about it trying to make sure it happens.

hmm...

It might also be worthwhile to consider your alternatives: you don't have to work in the games industry to make games. I kind of want paid vacation and a reasonable work-week (like, you know, 40 hours) and I've been told it is tricky to get these things in the games industry. Your degree will make you an asset in most kinds of computer science, and web development is similar enough to gamedev that the work is often rewarding in itself. I've worked as a freelance web-developer throughout my education, and now that my time at school is almost done, I'm seriously considering staying. That way I can keep working on the kinds of games that you might find on SoftChambers, rather than the kinds of games that you might find on Kotaku.

Ahem! Yes! Gamedev!

(also, post regularly on TigSource: this is something I fail at pretty badly)

z.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic