Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:12:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Rose of Clay
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Rose of Clay  (Read 3878 times)
~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:01:33 AM »

So I'm planning this post-apocalyptic magic punk/dog stuff...It's called the rose of clay.
In a world were mankind was erased by some magic stuff, the nature has taken its place. So, basically, every single vertebrate species developed Broca and Wernicke areas, and their frontal lobe grew.
In other words, they gained language, opposable thumb use, and standing. And also the decency to wear clothes.
So...different starting species are planned (Dog, Owl, Rabbit and Whale), and different classes too, but only some of them will be unlocked at first. I was thinking about Dog as starting character, and Fighter and Illusionist as starting classes.
Several features are planned, like, artifacts, level up, spells and shops. And even altars.
Some screencaps:

The hud will be changed eventually. I don't like this plain black, I'll work a bit on it.
Some concept art:

Also, punks. And a lot of ficus trees, and laurel leaves.
At the moment, I'm using .lua, and probably it will be free (I know, it's not "that good" to get paid for).
Basically, Peppa Pig with punks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:22:14 AM by ~Tidal » Logged

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

Working on the starting screen!

Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »

hmmmmmm....I like this. I'm getting a sort of Miyazaki by way of Scott Pilgrim vibe?
I'm interested to see where this goes! Hand Thumbs Up Right

These web letters will take your internet hole to my ear-paintings!! http://www.trevorblackmusic.com/
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:29:16 PM »

Like the art, which it's not a style I typically go for. I would love to see some gifs and or more descriptions of game play.

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 06:01:43 AM »

Well since you're asking ok.
It will be a bullet-hell, zeldesque RPG dungeon crawler.
You can choose your species and class too, at the beginning only rabbit and dog, illusionist and fighter will be unlocked.
Each species has different multipliers on their stats, that are Magic, Attack, HP, MP and Defense. Pretty self explanatory. Each class has different "abilities" - actually, a fighter can casts spells just like an illusionist does, but the latter does it better, for example. Each class has a different bullet kind, and different rate of fire and stuff.
The character, also, can choose to wear different outifits - that change statistics in different ways, and require different amounts of endurance.
There are different spellbooks (example: destruction, spirit) that work in different ways, in one of the screencaps you can see a dog using the Book of Destruction, level 1, against a Tar Wolf.
Also, around the 4 different biomes, you can found 1 artifact (for each): that will passively modify your stats, or grant you different game mechanics and stuff (for example, they can grant you regen, or enemy stun).
Now, as for the plot, every different species (character) has a different reason to find a legendary artifact, the Rose of Clay.
As soon as I finish to code at least multipliers, I'll post some screencaps or gifs.
At the moment, the artifacts, the outfits and better enemies codes are the priorities, and shops code is half baked.

thelastonestanding
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »

This looks pretty interesting, I love the idea. I am definitely waiting for more!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
claybornp
Level 0

claypeterson.co for art things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »

I love the mute pallet used in the concept artwork
Uncle Scotty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »

This looks like a cool game. I actually like the neon-on-black look. That style makes it easy on the eyes when playing in the dark. Good luck on your development. Peace.

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:04 AM »

Shop redesign. This is the food shop, the game will feature 4 different shops (weapons, outfits, food, occultism).
Also, I'll probably redesign the level progression. I think I'll make 3 smaller floors per biome (12 floor + 1 ''ending'' floor). At the end of each biome, the player will find a boss.
Probably, the artifact will be dropped at the end of the boss battle or something.
I was thinking to add a world map, so the player could choose which of the unlocked places visit (after finishing each level), with shops and an artifact tent. But then I scrapped the idea, because each character is determined to go forward and never coming back in their quest.
Also I'll add something better to shop, like a food booth or whatever in the room layout. By now the shops are pretty empty.
And probably NPCs, that don't speak, but just to make the whole place less empty.

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »

I'm working on the AI right now, trying different strategies to make everything at least a bit fluid...and I'm pretty much in need. It's pretty difficult, I have to admit, and I think I have to make everything more simple (i'm trying to make every enemy escape when I shoot and assault the player in the other moments...but it's messy right now). I think I have to play LoZ for Game Boy or ALTTP for a while Smiley.
But, at least, I have something to show:

This will be the world map. If you luckly find the city layout I used to build the map, I think I'll give your first name to an NPC. It's an actual city Wink.

Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »

Syracuse??

These web letters will take your internet hole to my ear-paintings!! http://www.trevorblackmusic.com/
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »

...I think we have a winner here?

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:13:29 AM »

That art style though Dog people have always freaked me out. Mans best friend, but can I trust him? I just don't know! Keep it up man.

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:50 AM »

How the hell did you find out that it was syracuse?
 Shocked
Also, "Scoglio dei Cani" literally means "Dogs' cliff", that's really influent.

Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 05:26:21 AM »

Your location is listed at "Catania," so I just scooted around the east coast of Italy on Google maps until I found something similar to your art.
Is there like a leaky power plain in Syracuse or something?

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 05:51:52 AM »

My god, I hope not. In italy there isn't even a nuclear power plant (but still there are different biogical hazards).
I don't think in THAT place there is such a hazard by the way, it is near the city center and it is considered like an art city or something.
Nice scouting work tho :D , kudos!
Anyway, it won't be setted in syracuse. The place will be the land around the fictional city of Indienapolis (corresponding to the island of Ortygia).
I only thought it was cool to build the layout of a place on the one of a city I like. I thought of Prague or my city, but Prague is only crossed by a river, without too much water, and my own city...I dunno, lol, maybe for a sequel (jk). I wanted a small city with a island, I thought of Manhattan but It was kinda...already used.
Anyway Trevor is a cool name.

Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 06:26:21 AM »

I was just wondering how much of Rose of Clay's map was inspired by the city, 'cause it looks like there might be a pollution issue.
Looking forward to seeing more! I'm loving the color palette!

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »

Well then. A random NPC (probably a trading cards seller or a monk on a mountain) will be named Trevor, if it isn't of any nuisance for you. Also I like the name trevor (also if you like any animal - vertebrate - in particular, let me know, lol).

This is a mockup for any non-dungeon merchant.
This one in particular, will sell poster (single use stuff that, I hope, will morph you into something, or at least boost your stats).
There are several references in this one, most of them are ungraspable for a non-italian person, since this NPC is based on Niccolò Contessa, an indie singer for the project "I cani" (literally: "The Dogs").

Daze Hill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »

Nice Smiley I kind of like the black background + vivid color style,  it tingles my nostalgia senses Wink
Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »

No nuisance - I'm totally excited to have an NPC named Trevor. I'm a fan of the otter. Can he have glasses?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic