Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:33:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWebsite for a small indie
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Website for a small indie  (Read 1520 times)
Stals
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2015, 05:33:46 AM »

I couldn't find if this question was already asked (probably was).

What i would like is a site with some portfolio for our previous games as well as links to twitter, ect. and some kind of blog to post updates there. But also really easy to maintain/update it for the person that never really touched web stuff but have an option to add things like Vlambeer's presskit() (dopresskit.com) there.

Anyway i'm interested to know what you use to make a website.
Thank you in advance Smiley

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 06:37:25 AM »

I used Muse because I have a full Adobe package... But in all honesty in the future I will use a Wordpress template and just buy a good theme/template I find Smiley

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
BishopGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »

Hi,

As knifeySpoonie mentioned, Wordpress is your friend. Not fairly complicated, and there's alot of tutorials/info online. There's also alot of cheap hosts, for like 10bucks a year or something.

Co-founder at http://bishopgames.com/ and http://lightfallgame.com/
Currently working on our first title called Light Fall
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bishopgamesstudio
and Twitter: https://twitter.com/BishopGamesStd
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »

Wordpress is wonderful. I'd never done anything website-related before the start of last year, but I managed to get a basic blog format site together for Variable State in not much time at all.

Pixel Prospector was my go to resource (plus some web host recommendations from folks on here): http://www.pixelprospector.com/website-blog-creation-domain-hosting-design/

GregBTGS
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:11:34 AM »

I recently set my website up exactly how you stated with bluehost.com. it's quick cheap and easy to set up with wordpress, I found a free template on-line. you don't have to even touch the backend of the website as wordpress.org can be linked with wordpress.com and you can directly view info about your website and post blog updates straight from there onto your website. Making pages and editing themes is nice an easy using the wordpress editor.
Take a look at my website bowtiegamestudios.com if you want an idea of what you can do in a few hours of your time. (minus blogging that takes a while)

Stals
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »

Thank you for the answers, it seams like wordpress it the way to go. I will try making something this week.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:39:16 AM »

I just use Tumblr.

I like WordPress, but I've had issues where my server (DreamHost - highly recommended) would auto-upgrade it and as a result my themes would explode. I had days where PHP errors were very visibly thrown all over the screen. Not sure if this was DreamHost's fault or a WordPress upgrade issue, but it just became too much of a hassle.

Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 06:01:42 AM »

I like WordPress, but I've had issues where my server (DreamHost - highly recommended) would auto-upgrade it and as a result my themes would explode.

Yeah, I get a bit scared about auto-upgrades. I've not had any trouble yet, but every time I see an update has silently occurred without my permission I fear something will have broken.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:20 AM »

The website of my now defunct company was WordPress because it needed blog posts and stuff. Custom theme. Unfortunately I wasn't really knowledgeable about responsiveness at the time.

My current personal portfolio website (see signature) is just a static page, hard-coded from scratch with a little PHP and JavaScript to help out, but no database. Responsive CSS.

BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:39:22 AM »

Definitely wordpress. It's also worth getting a premium theme. As long as you choose a good one it will last you a long time.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 05:43:27 PM »

Personally I use node.js behind a simple nginx front-end. Very nice for creating a super-simple website, and also very scalable. I'm able to stick a route in to my presskit page with an extra line of javascript. There is a plugin for it to support wordpress.

Not the easiest thing in the world to learn, mind you, but probably a bit easier than trying to hack it out with apache/php, IMHO.

If you are already familiar with coding concepts, but notsomuch with web dev (like me), it's pretty easy to pick up and run with. I used nodeschool along with Google/StackOverflow to get what I need.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »

Use Wordpress, you won't need to code anything, and you have a plugin for everything!
Vlambeer presskit, it 10 time harder to use than making a wordpress website. I still use it because it give a standard look that I hope journalist use it.
Wordpress and vlambeer toolkit are compatible (just add presskit in a sub folder of your website, and link your wordpress menu to its web address) if you have any doubt.

citizen5
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 02:24:08 AM »

If your website is relatively simple and you know how to code html/css then I would definitely recommend http://jekyllrb.com/.

It's easy to use and is compatible with github hosting which is a nice bonus.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic