Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:32:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNew(ish) indies to play on a SNES usb pad?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New(ish) indies to play on a SNES usb pad?  (Read 1501 times)
existancedecay
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

So I grabbed a couple of japanese knock-off SNES usb pads and I am in love with them. I specifically bought them to play Spelunky, TBOIR and Lisa. I am looking for suggestions for other new(ish?) indies that can be played with a d-pad and no more than 8 buttons! So far with this setup, I am playing...
Guacamelee
Shovel Knight
Risk Of Rain (with joy2key!)
Valdis Story
Volgarr The Viking
La Mulana
Super Crate Box
Nidhogg
I am open to suggestions in any genres, but infuriatingly difficult platformers and old-skool rpgs are my favorites. Thoughts?
existancedecay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »

I should mention that I already have cave story+ and kero blaster before someone else obviously suggests them
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:33:37 PM »

As far as sidescrollers go..

Rogue Legacy
Dust: an elysian tail (warning, SUPER easy game, so if you're looking for a challenge this isnt it)

others i can think of that work well on a d-pad (even though i use a dualshock 3 i prefer using d-pad when possible on games, just feels more accurate)

binding of isaac
crypt of the necrodancer

-Fuzzy Spider
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:54:15 PM »

1001 Spikes
Hammerwatch
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »

BROFORCE! *screeeech*

Broforce rules, if you aren't up to your elbows in it already you'd better get your gloves on now.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 03:09:44 AM »

It's old, but don't forget Super Meat Boy.

olücæbelel
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »

It's old, but don't forget Super Meat Boy.

I'm not certain that Super Meat Boy would be a good idea to play with a SNES USB pad. It's a game that's designed from the ground up with analog control in mind. While it's theoretically possible to play it with a keyboard, I wouldn't want to. The SNES D-pad just isn't going to be as tightly responsive as a full analog-stick layout.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »

i A+'d every single level light and dark world in smb with the d-pad on my dualshock 3, i found it considerably easier than trying to play it with the analog stick, so it works just fine.

-Fuzzy Spider
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »

i A+'d every single level light and dark world in smb with the d-pad on my dualshock 3, i found it considerably easier than trying to play it with the analog stick, so it works just fine.

Not the same thing. The buttons on the Dual-Shock line of controllers have been analog since the Dual-Shock 2, not digital. So they respond to differing levels of pressure. You would likely get finer control off of a Dual-Shock 3's D-Pad than you would off of a SNES D-Pad. (which was digital)

Try playing Super Meat Boy with a Keyboard, and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's possible, but it's not optimal.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »

super meat boy doesnt support dualshock (at least didnt, not sure if it does now, used to just have hardcoded xbox controls + keyboard), you have to map the buttons to the keyboard buttons so it's pure digital

-Fuzzy Spider
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »

Additionally, DualShock drivers (all the ones I've worked with, at least) don't report the d-pad as an analog stick. It's treated as digital input with additional axes for pressure sensitivity. Games would need special case code for the controller to get analog movement with its d-pad.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 05:27:37 AM »

Keyboard precision relies on its key travel, so certain keyboards might be even more precise than your so called analogs buttons, which usually relie on a calobrated pressure to avoid being oversensitive

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »

I actually find keyboards to be even faster than D-pads for the reason that I have three fingers on the directional keys instead of a single thumb over all of them.
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:07:59 PM »

Towerfall
Limbo? I think that only uses like 2 buttons and a dpad, I would imagine it working.
Samurai Gunn
Towerfall
Divekick (literally only uses two buttons)
Anything from the Genesis collection, I highly recommend Gunstar Heroes
VVVVVV
Thomas was Alone? I think that would work.
Towerfall
Mercenary Kings...might work. I think it would.
Wizorb as well I think.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Did you get Towerfall yet!?

That's what I can think of.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic