Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:35:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel.Tools editor with peer to peer collaboration features + more
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel.Tools editor with peer to peer collaboration features + more  (Read 1519 times)
Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:56:01 PM »

Check it out at http://www.pixel.tools/
Pixel.Tools is also on Github https://github.com/prominentdetail/Pixel.Tools

I developed this pixel-art editor for the pixel community a while back, it's free to use.
It has many features you'd expect from an editor geared towards pixel-art.
The main feature is its ability to allow artists to connect together and work on the same projects, useful for things like gamejams, mentoring, or just having fun collaborating.
  • create animations
  • export/import gifs & spritesheets
  • tile window for previewing tiles
  • layers/frames
  • selection tools, rotating, resizing
  • History
  • shortcut keys similar to photoshop
  • wacom tablet support (firefox only)
  • Your entire process is recorded and you can play it back step by step
  • You can export the entire process to a gif
  • Colordex system
The Colordex system I created when I was inspired by the hd index painting technique. It allows you do draw in the same way that the hd index painting works, but without the hassle of setting it up. Plus it allows you to mix multiple color ramps together!

Here's a gif showing me scribbling with the Colordex system:

Plus there's a lot more you can do..
I used the editor to create all the graphics in my recently released game Quasi
http://prominent.itch.io/quasi
and is a good example of what can be made with Pixel.Tools

Here's an old screenshot of the editor:

Edit: here's a video demonstration of how to use the Colordex system:

Here's a quick run-through of some features:

If you have any question as to how to use it, etc, I'll be happy to help clear anything up.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:56 AM »

Hi Alex,

I feel I have to post an apology on behalf of the TIGSource community for the fact that no one has posted a reply!

I don't know why,  Shrug your program seems very slick and advanced and you must have spent an awful lot of time on it. I'm surprised people haven't commented as it seems very good to me!

I hope you continue to develop this and show us your progress with this program and your resulting art.  Gentleman

Richard
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:11:40 AM »

Wow that's pretty nice for a webtool.
There's a few problems like the brush tool getting really slow at larger resolutions and not creating smooth paths when you move the brush fast.
But this has a bunch of features I wish Aseprite would put in already.

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »

Thanks,
I need to go through and clean up the code in places, but I haven't got around to it yet.

The brush becomes slower at larger sizes because it has to look at each pixel as it draws- necessary for undoing, and peer to peer stuff, and other things such as the colordex.. pixel manipulation is a slow process on the html5 canvas. I don't see it as a big issue though since the editor is intended for the creation of pixel-art which usually is made with small brush sizes.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »

I guess, but if someone wants to lay down large brush strokes to block in the major forms being unable to do that fast would be kind of annoying.

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:55:34 PM »

I don't know of an alternative method to make it faster- but if I come across one, I'll see what I can do to implement it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic