Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:50:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativePrices for low-poly 3D models, animated and textured?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Prices for low-poly 3D models, animated and textured?  (Read 4140 times)
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:09:46 AM »

Hello, I was wondering what's the cost of asset development. Especially for the 3D realm. I realize that the prices an artist may charge can differ. But also, how many artist do all things for an object. Like 3D modeling, rigging, animating and texturing? 'Cause, I would prefer one who can do all four things for a character or any other object.

I'm thinking of freelancer work only.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:13:45 AM »

It's super, super varied. There are artists that can do all of those things competently. There are artists that specialize in one of those things. I've worked at companies that had both.

Often the division of labor is just a function of how big a project is - if you're making a huge game, it makes sense for one guy to do the rigging and one to do the modeling and one to do the texturing. Even if all 3 might be good at all of those tasks, you may get a productivity bump by keeping the people focused on one type of job. I've worked in smaller companies where one guy did all of that stuff and did it just fine. So I would venture (I can't back this up with data) that a lot of 3D artists have some talent in all those areas.

As for cost, it's really, really hard to guess. Some artists have fixed fees and some will work around your budget. Artists charge different fees based on experience. Some undervalue themselves wildly. I've worked with people who charge $20/hour and people who charge $60/hour, and of course, their speeds vary considerably so that doesn't necessarily translate to a final cost.

You should plan on spending real money for real 3d assets if you're looking to hire someone. People who do this for a living need to make enough money to, well, do it for a living.

It's possible to find collaborators who will work with you for passion or profit-sharing or what-not. That can be harder, and you have to treat the project differently, but they're out there.

SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »

You should plan on spending real money for real 3d assets if you're looking to hire someone. People who do this for a living need to make enough money to, well, do it for a living.

It's possible to find collaborators who will work with you for passion or profit-sharing or what-not. That can be harder, and you have to treat the project differently, but they're out there.

Yeah I thought so. Money is going to be a bitch. And no I don't have real money. I would need collaborators to make a demo for Kickstarter/Publisher. Good thing though is, that so far important stuff can already be tested with grey-boxing. And I know Blender a bit as well, just to make some placer holders to test technical stuff.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »

Mostly just to add some ballpark #s to bdsowers post:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124981
Quote from: Jon Jones
Low-end overseas art studio: $140 - 180\day ($17.50 - 22.50\hr)
Average overseas art studio: $225\day ($25\hr)
High-end overseas art studio: $300\day ($37.50\hr)

Low-end domestic art studio: $350\day ($43.75\hr)
Average domestic art studio: $500\day ($62.50\hr)
High-end domestic art studio: $800\day ($100\hr. this is rare, usually it's boutique studios)

The range of rates I see for individual contractors are $250 - 375\day overseas, and $275 - 500\day domestic. Sometimes it goes higher, but domestically, contract artists typically charge around $300\day. Bids come from the time estimate multiplied by the day rate, rather than "I'll do it for this flat rate" which could get you into infinite revision trouble.

SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »

Mostly just to add some ballpark #s to bdsowers post:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124981
Quote from: Jon Jones
Low-end overseas art studio: $140 - 180\day ($17.50 - 22.50\hr)
Average overseas art studio: $225\day ($25\hr)
High-end overseas art studio: $300\day ($37.50\hr)

Low-end domestic art studio: $350\day ($43.75\hr)
Average domestic art studio: $500\day ($62.50\hr)
High-end domestic art studio: $800\day ($100\hr. this is rare, usually it's boutique studios)

The range of rates I see for individual contractors are $250 - 375\day overseas, and $275 - 500\day domestic. Sometimes it goes higher, but domestically, contract artists typically charge around $300\day. Bids come from the time estimate multiplied by the day rate, rather than "I'll do it for this flat rate" which could get you into infinite revision trouble.

Thanks, Catguy!

I know the English definition of "domestic" and "overseas". But what does it mean in this context, and why is overseas lower than domestic? It is about taxes?

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:33:14 AM »

Domestic is probably a stand-in for wealthy european/american countries. Taxes are certainly one of the factors that plays into that.

He's in the US (works at Epic right now I think) so he's probably using 'overseas' as a way to refer to countries with a much lower cost of living that still produce excellent art studios, especially china. Their rates are lower because they have less overhead, but also because they can't provide quite as good of service due to time zone/travel (and sometimes language) constraints.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic