Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:37:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesCottage... OF DOOM! [finished]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Cottage... OF DOOM! [finished]  (Read 100180 times)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2007, 12:33:52 AM »

The walls are all entities, and adding them onto another map layer won't do anything for the gameplay.
Hrm? What do you mean?
Things interacted as normal with my new walls.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2007, 01:30:49 AM »

Yeah, I totally misread your notes/post. It's the hang over  Huh?

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2007, 02:41:01 AM »

OK

LINK

This is the same build as before but with the map and animation editors built in. There's a special menu that lets you go to any level you already made. Once you're in the level, you can switch in and out of the level editor by pressing f1/f2. Or you can create a new level from scratch - just load in "gfx.png" as the tile set and start work.

Clicking on the title screen or pressing enter will always start the game with the cut scene, and load the first level in the list.

Animation Editor
The animation editor uses the interface that the old map editor I used to have used. It's horrible and must be destroyed, but it does the job for now. You probably won't need to edit any animations but if you want to have a noodle around or add frames to some of the animations (or fix the zombie animations that I deliberately fucked up), have fun Smiley btw there's no undo / redo in the anim editor.

Map Editor
This uses the new GUI system I recently developed and is much better than it used to be. There are still horrendous UI problems, so here are some tips:
* changing the map size reads input for width and height at the same time so your map will always be square.
* entities are selected by their collision box so if you're editing sprites I suggest resizing the sprite palette so that it runs the length of the bottom of the screen, to put all the entities in a line rather than over the top of each other.
* undo and redo should work fine but do keep saving your work just in case there's a problem with that or anything else Smiley

If you want to add tiles to gfx.png, know this: tiles that are spattered with blood will have their tile index increased by 2 until they reach the right side of the bitmap. My advice would be to add them below the cutscene character art in blocks of 4, like the ones currently in use. Copy them across the rest of the bitmap and bloody them up and you're good to go. Drag a box with the right button to grab tiles off the palette or from the world, and left click to draw with your new brush. X and Y keys will flip the brush; Z will rotate it. More controls are listed in the help box.

Any zombies and other entities (the fog of war is actually an entity, for example) will be ignored when you reload the level - only walls, furniture and the player are created when a level is loaded. Press backspace or delete to remove an entity you have selected; hold down G to lock it to the grid (this is useful for placing walls, and I apologise in advance for the selection/creation being on the same mouse button!).

You won't be able to add any further entity types I'm afraid, as that's pretty much hard-coded right now. You could change the graphics for them I suppose Smiley

I don't recommend making levels that are not 32x32 tiles of 16x16 size, as I think I hard-coded some of the routines to work on a 512x512 world.

Have fun!

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2007, 12:13:27 PM »

haowan, thank you for making this game, it is brilliant, and gets my vote for #1 B-Game!!

cup full of magic charisma
Demean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2007, 03:12:44 PM »

Hmmmm, this is weird. Whenever I try to load up CoD, it says DoomCottage.exe experienced an error, and that it must close. I've deleted and reinstalled it multiple times, and it never works.

I'm saaaaaaaad.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »

Hmmmm, this is weird. Whenever I try to load up CoD, it says DoomCottage.exe experienced an error, and that it must close. I've deleted and reinstalled it multiple times, and it never works.

I'm saaaaaaaad.

OK, this can happen for several reasons but usually it's that the .NET 2.0 framework not installed - this should have happened while installing the game, but in the event that this did not occur, you can download the framework from Microsoft at this URL.

Once you have that installed, try running the game. If it still doesn't work, or if you already know that you have .NET 2.0, then we can look into other problems such as DLL weirdness (I'll be clutching at straws at that point, just to fill you with delicious confidence).

P.S. Welcome to the forum Smiley

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »

OK, see if you can beat 313 million:

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »

Cry
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2007, 07:17:40 PM »

How do you get that much ammo, Haowan?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2007, 01:12:51 AM »

You should get a fair amount just by smashing everything up. But there's a furniture drop every 30 seconds, so the longer you survive, the more ammo you'll have. It's not enough to keep you alive forever, though, and if the drop occurs in a room full of zombies... you'll have to make a dash for it :D

nearly all (i would say 99.9%) of that 313 million is from one single pax bonus Smiley

selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »

omg...
and i was feeling all bad ass about my paltry 1.3mil

oh.. did you happen to notice zombies dying randomly and your score going up when you're just running around? or was that just the wounded ones succumbing to their injuries...?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2007, 08:06:25 PM »

The dying randomly thing is when they get crushed by a new furniture drop.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2007, 12:27:25 PM »

Grin

Just didn't get more cause I had stuff to do.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »

Oh, my!  Shocked

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2007, 03:19:08 PM »

3.2 billion

Then the game crashed. ;3

(that's Brazilian Portuguese for anyone that's curious)

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2007, 03:21:19 PM »

Daaamn, dude!

Hey any idea what made it crash?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:24:00 PM by haowan » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »

Maybe it can't handle so many digits? It crashed right when I clicked to show the highscore table, which it didn't.

Game's fun, nice job. By the way, found a bug. At one point I was holed up in one of the rooms, and a crate dropped right next (touching) to the wall. Then for some reason I started seeing past that crate onto the adjacent room, like there was a window there. When I broke the crate, the 'window' was gone and I couldn't see past the wall anymore.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »

Right, sounds like a bug in the highscore table then Smiley

Interesting bug with the collision... weird. Can't quite imagine what has caused that. It's not the only bug in the game :D

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2007, 04:16:11 PM »

Yeah, another bug I've noticed is that whenever there's a furniture drop and I'm holding something, whatever I'm holding turns into a chair. Not that it makes your game any less awesome, really.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2007, 04:19:54 PM »

The chair... IT'S BEHIND IT ALL! How could we have not seen it?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic