Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:14:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChickenSword
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: ChickenSword  (Read 40237 times)
AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »

I'm still waiting for bespoken electric seaweed! Any chance of getting that in-game soon?

Axez, Grant Ed.
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2015, 12:03:23 AM »

I'm still waiting for bespoken electric seaweed! Any chance of getting that in-game soon?

I haven't even started putting together an actual water-zone yet. Trying to get all the stuff I'm going to use a ton in place before I tinker with the little stuff. Electric seaweed is the shit though.

AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2015, 12:30:25 AM »

That's bad news!! Shocked (Well, mostly good news, since the game's gonna get done sooner)

Guess I have to pop in that cartridge from back in the days and try not to get electrocuted while saving that damned dam!

Axez, Grant Ed.
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »

That's bad news!! Shocked (Well, mostly good news, since the game's gonna get done sooner)

Guess I have to pop in that cartridge from back in the days and try not to get electrocuted while saving that damned dam!

I hate that damned dam

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2015, 04:08:38 AM »

This might seem like a BS update on the surface, and it kind of is, but it has questions attached. Should plants yield hearts (corn) or something when you swat them, or does that tend to lead to cheesy gameplay? Corn makes a good health potion because it's probably pretty rare in the post-apocalyptic wastelands....

I like the idea of getting away from lots of plants that rarely and randomly drop heart refills. Something where you can recognize certain plants always give health would be better. Maybe ruins tend to have little corners where a cornstalk is growing through a crack in the ground, offering a single-use health refill.

It's annoying when you get to a point where you start chopping bushes randomly waiting to get a couple of health refills so you can continue. Plus, it makes the challenge uneven if sometimes you just get lucky and collect a few health-ups.

How do you feel the challenge in the game is going to be structured? Do you expect the levels to be challenging enough that a reasonably skilled player will die once or a few times between checkpoints?
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2015, 02:28:46 PM »

This might seem like a BS update on the surface, and it kind of is, but it has questions attached. Should plants yield hearts (corn) or something when you swat them, or does that tend to lead to cheesy gameplay? Corn makes a good health potion because it's probably pretty rare in the post-apocalyptic wastelands....

I like the idea of getting away from lots of plants that rarely and randomly drop heart refills. Something where you can recognize certain plants always give health would be better. Maybe ruins tend to have little corners where a cornstalk is growing through a crack in the ground, offering a single-use health refill.

It's annoying when you get to a point where you start chopping bushes randomly waiting to get a couple of health refills so you can continue. Plus, it makes the challenge uneven if sometimes you just get lucky and collect a few health-ups.

How do you feel the challenge in the game is going to be structured? Do you expect the levels to be challenging enough that a reasonably skilled player will die once or a few times between checkpoints?

I am thinking that the penalty for death will be the loss of currency which can be used to purchase upgrades and powers. I'm also thinking that there will be a lot of instances where you WILL die unless you know what to expect from trial and error, but it's not my intention to make the game a pain in the ass like many platformers. I'm more focused on telling a weird story full of humor and betrayal.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2015, 01:59:58 AM »

MAJOR(minor) UPDATE!

SPACECOP GOT A NEW BASSIST

This was basically the result of me working on a small side-project to test features out. I really hate writing a bunch of garbage code I won't use, so I've decided (maybe?) to make a SMALL procedural roguelike called, 'Redgun'.

This shouldn't slow the progress on ChickenSword because the features and physics I'm working on will be directly ported both directions. Having a pure violence-machine of a game will help me refine the gameplay of ChickenSword, so I don't have to fall back on whether or not people appreciate my sense of humor.

This likely won't be the last character spun off into his/her own game as I test larger features in compartmentalized environments (possible dialog-tree-based games in the future).

ISN'T HIS HAIR COOL!?

Anyhow. I built in a bunch of stuff into ChickenSword tonight that deals with catching things that shouldn't happen and killing the character if they do (instead of just letting you be stuck). This isn't really important... but it is... so important.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »

Wow Space Cop sells out... just... wow.

Robo bassist had a huge impact on my bass career and I for one am looking forward to his solo album

Caravan: devlog | website
jay43k
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »

Whatcha like doing more, pixeling or coding?

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »

That's an extremely difficult question to answer. What I really like is being in complete creative control. I find that when I work with other programmers, they tend to think they're perfect gods. While I don't really enjoy coding *THAT* much, I enjoy being able to have ideas and implement them without people second guessing me for days.

I do like my pixels tho...

Hope that helps.

jay43k
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »

That's an extremely difficult question to answer. What I really like is being in complete creative control. I find that when I work with other programmers, they tend to think they're perfect gods. While I don't really enjoy coding *THAT* much, I enjoy being able to have ideas and implement them without people second guessing me for days.

I do like my pixels tho...

Hope that helps.

It does! Although helping would really be letting me lock ya in a tower and make an endless supply of those awesome assets haha.

I feel the same way except I'm probably more tilted on the coding side.  It's fun to make a pixel piece that I'm happy with and go straight from creation to implementation, but I often feel anxious and wanting to get back to code related stuff for the game.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »

How do you feel about your chicken character being featured in another dev's game?
*Gives microphone*
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

How do you feel about your chicken character being featured in another dev's game?
*Gives microphone*

I made the Kerfuffle dudes....

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »

It does! Although helping would really be letting me lock ya in a tower and make an endless supply of those awesome assets haha.

I feel the same way except I'm probably more tilted on the coding side.  It's fun to make a pixel piece that I'm happy with and go straight from creation to implementation, but I often feel anxious and wanting to get back to code related stuff for the game.

My actual job makes me extremely expensive to lock in a tower :D

Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »

I don't like the idea of penalising players with a fee for dying, especially if certain parts are trial and error. It all depends what you want death to represent in ChickenSword. For most games death is just a device used to tell the player that they've been unsuccessful. It rarely has any significance. But as I said, it all depends what death means in your game. Perhaps it adds huge stakes to it.
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »

I don't like the idea of penalising players with a fee for dying, especially if certain parts are trial and error. It all depends what you want death to represent in ChickenSword. For most games death is just a device used to tell the player that they've been unsuccessful. It rarely has any significance. But as I said, it all depends what death means in your game. Perhaps it adds huge stakes to it.

Money is going to have a pretty low limit, like Zelda rupees. Ideally they'd spend everything before being in danger and only come out ahead by the end.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »

*Gives microphone*

I made the Kerfuffle dudes....
Oh cool. Didn't know that, sorry.

Money is going to have a pretty low limit, like Zelda rupees. Ideally they'd spend everything before being in danger and only come out ahead by the end.
Maybe you could pay to revive, but if you hit zero money, you game over? Kinda like the way n64 smash bros did restarts in singleplayer mode.
bitslap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »

I love you for making this  Tears of Joy
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2015, 12:10:40 AM »

I love you for making this  Tears of Joy

I just love me in general

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2015, 06:28:27 AM »

Cute concept, I like the switch to playing the chicken. Can you kill everyone who makes a bad pun?

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic