Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:24:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Static IP VPN Services recommendations
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Static IP VPN Services recommendations  (Read 1623 times)
Chaoseiro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »

Hello guys,

First, sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, I really don't know if this is a technical or a business question but yes, it is related to game development as this is a requirement (static IP) for some sdk's developer access (playstation's devnet for instance).

So, I'm seeking a Static IP provider with VPN access, since here in my country the ISPs charges really huge amounts of money for this service. I want to know if any of you have recommendations or know companies I should stay away from.

Thanks for your attention!

Making Games Like A Sir!
X-UniTMX, a Tiled TMX Importer for Unity3D
X-UniTMX Forum
nickgravelyn
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »

I was in a similar position recently. Getting a static IP from my ISP required a full business line which was a huge increase. And all VPN services I could find seemed super sketchy (many had no physical address or information, and most are all about hiding from the government or whatever) or super expensive for what we needed.

What I did (and what may or may not work for you) was this:

1. Our company registered for http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/ which gives MS software and services to startups. One part is a $150/mo credit to Azure.
2. We got a reserved (static) IP address from Azure for a virtual machine.
3. We installed Linux and OpenVPN on the machine.

So when we need to get to a resource that requires the static IP (like Sony) we VPN into our server and then are able to have a static IP address.

Again, not sure if this is an option for you but it's working well enough for us and doesn't cost us anything (the $150/mo credit vastly covers both our static websites and the VM). There are a lot of tutorials out there on setting up the reserved IP stuff on Azure (it currently requires some command line tools from MS to setup) and the OpenVPN configuration, so if you decide to try it out, there are resources available.

Good luck!
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:14 AM »

nickgravelyn is probably the best solution because it's cheap.

If you don't get the bizspark, you can probably get a cheap VPS with a static Ip, and doing VPN on it too.

I think Ovh have one for 2euro per month with an IP.
(Our network administrator did get a cheap server in one a my previous job to do VPN, but I didn't do it myself)

Chaoseiro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:24:43 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys!

We decided to go the BizSpark/Azure route, now to learn how to properly set it up Tongue

Making Games Like A Sir!
X-UniTMX, a Tiled TMX Importer for Unity3D
X-UniTMX Forum
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic