Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:18:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[DEADBOLT] - 2D action/shooter
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [DEADBOLT] - 2D action/shooter  (Read 27696 times)
hopoo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2015, 07:22:06 PM »

GAMEPLAY

DEADBOLT is a side-view action shooter made by the same developers of Risk of Rain. The best comparison that I have heard is a mix between Hotline Miami's twitch shooting and over-the-top gore along with Gunpoint's tactical traversing. you just run around and shoot things

The plan is that the more you play, the better arsenal of weapons you have. While you start with a fully loaded gun, the bullets are never enough to clear the whole building; therefore, you have to scavenge the weapons of other enemies, resulting in an almost puzzle-like gameplay of bouncing between different enemies to get ammo to kill the next.

SETTING
Grim reapers are commonly displayed as a hooded figure in a scythe, sending people to the afterlife. This was good back in the old days, but today, with the invention of doors with locks and guns, the grim reaper is having a hard time reaping lives. That is where you come in, as the modern day grim reaper, with modern day equipment, ready to kill modern day undead.

Enemies will be grouped into different mob factions, depending on the type of undead. Zombies will be gangbangers, vampires will be night-club owners, etc etc. Each faction will present certain unique challengers; some zombies can live without heads, vampires can only be killed by melee weapons, and more.

Early enemy concepts

TEAM
Same as Risk of Rain, I'll be doing the coding and programming. So far the game has been in development for ~ a month total, but on and off over time because of school. This quarter is a lot easier, so I'm hoping to get a lot more done. I also never did a real devlog for Risk of Rain, and a lot of people were interested in the process, so I'll be brain dumping here periodically

Right now, I only post updates to my blog, hopooo.tumblr.com , but I'll change this once we get more stuff rolling. Any and all feedback is appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:23:22 PM by hopoo » Logged

riskofraingame.com
hopoogames.com/
diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »

although I liked "The Commission" more, i'm liking the deadbolt logo  Gomez

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »

the fridge shield impressed me, i like this. a lot.
skarik
Level 0

i eat kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »

I chuckled at the setting, but those gifs got a good laugh out of me. This is awesome.

http://epichousestudios.com/ aka panty thief inc
MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »

A nice looking game, can't wait to see more game play development!

although I liked "The Commission" more, i'm liking the deadbolt logo  Gomez

I did too, but most people resonate with Deadbolt considering the way it is enunciated punctuates the air much like the way the player character announces their entrance by kicking down doors in the game gifs.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:32:27 AM »

Think I preferred the logo I saw that didn't include the apartment button & top/bottom slots. They just don't add a whole lot. (Probably saw it on Twitter or Tumblr, not sure which).

Anyway, this is looking really good. I love your animations and the little flares you add, like the particles flying everywhere. Maybe add some bullet casings popping out.

Guv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »

Was interested by the gifs alone, saw you're also the Risk of Rain developer. That makes me double excited.
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »

Already have been following this epic project a while on your tumblr. so glad when the updates started again a few days/week ago :D

Btw, now that it is called deadbolt, you better add some kind of badass crossbow thingy c:

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
hopoo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »

Think I preferred the logo I saw that didn't include the apartment button & top/bottom slots. They just don't add a whole lot. (Probably saw it on Twitter or Tumblr, not sure which).

Anyway, this is looking really good. I love your animations and the little flares you add, like the particles flying everywhere. Maybe add some bullet casings popping out.
Yep, I just mocked up a bunch of different logos because I was sure some would fit in specific contexts. Sadly, I think the lone one was a bit hard to tell as an apartment buzzer (although I think they all are...?)

riskofraingame.com
hopoogames.com/
hopoo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:51:17 PM »

Did more work on the level editor. The plan is that with the release of the game, I would release the level editor at the same time, allowing users to upload on Steamworks or whatever they want for custom maps. It'll be very powerful, since its the same one I'm using to make the game

The level editor works by exporting as a text file. The first 4 lines indicate room settings:
Room Width
Room Height

Objective Type (0 = kill all enemies, 1 = crack the safe, etc)
Mission Name (which shows up on game start)

Afterwards, object data is saved in sets of 5, in the order of
Object Name
X
Y
Image xscale
Image yscale
var1
var2

Var1 and var2 are left intentionally vague so I can manipulate it whenever I need a variable to be... variable, in an object (different states for enemies, different number of bullets in a gun, different directions for stairs, etc)

An example textfile would be:

Clean House
oZomb1
oZomb1

and so and and so forth

riskofraingame.com
hopoogames.com/
hopoo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 01:32:13 AM »

Started mission select. In here, you can choose which stages to start from. Its not quite seen here, but you have to work through each 'tier' of missions to get to the next; that is, you have to clear the bottom 4, then the bottom 3, then 2, then one.

The very top of the pyramid is the gang leader, with the two below being lieutenants. You can only kill one of the lieutenants; choosing which one determines the kind of backup the gang leader has

riskofraingame.com
hopoogames.com/
Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 02:20:13 AM »

inspired by nemesis system?

i love what you have so far, the coolest parts are the small things, like opening the fridge door to use as cover, or the guy pawing around his pocket to get bullets

i hope that you add more interesting environment interaction (even if its just shooting out lights or shooting down chandelier)
Kiririn51
Level 0

I do pretty drawings

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »

The Commission was better tho

my devlog here is ded but my tumblr is not: blog.waifubartending.com
hopoo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »

inspired by nemesis system?

i love what you have so far, the coolest parts are the small things, like opening the fridge door to use as cover, or the guy pawing around his pocket to get bullets

i hope that you add more interesting environment interaction (even if its just shooting out lights or shooting down chandelier)
Yep, environment interactions will be big. No chandeliers in these buildings, but in fancier levels perhaps. You can shoot out lights to reduce enemy vision range, and you can pull knives out of knife blocks in the kitchen

The Commission was better tho
;~; I had to choose one, and Deadbolt was better for people who weren't familiar with mafia terms

riskofraingame.com
hopoogames.com/
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »

I'm definitely a fan of the additional shotgun blast to enemies on the ground in order to spray their blood everywhere.

Linio
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »

Hello.

Why would you want to work on another game when the first game you put out there is still in an unstable state since the last change you made to it, with a community screaming for some changes and some answers from you?

Do you think that a gamedev should just work on a game and totally abandon it for another?

From the look of it, Risk of Rain looks waaay better than this project (and i'm not even trying to troll here), so ... why?
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »

Oh wow, just saw this on NeoGAF. This looks so cool

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 09:46:44 AM »

Loving Grims character design, super cool idea using a weapon other than a scythe!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »

Deadbolt is going conveys the tone you're going for way better than 'The Commission'

In one of the OP gifs you get killed by an off-screen enemy. Have you thought about how you're going to prevent that from becoming a source of frustration?

Unbroken: A Souls-inspired mobile hack n' slash
Devlog
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »

What other enemy factions are you thinking of? We got zombies and vampires so far, what about werewolves, demons, cultists, etc.?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic