Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:36:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativewhat are some good audio books that would help me with game dev?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: what are some good audio books that would help me with game dev?  (Read 5618 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:13:12 PM »

Just looking for suggestions of books to listen to while I work outside/work out; stuff like story theory, maybe math, idk, just feeling a burning desire to learn.

SpeakUpGames
Level 0

whimsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:04:08 AM »

I doubt you're going to find a lot of audiobooks on game design. Usually more narrative style books have audio versions, since design books are often used as reference and don't need a straight readthrough.
In any case, I highly recommend The Art of Game Design by Jesse Schell. He talks a lot about his personal experience developing ToonTown Online and some other games for Disney, along with general purpose principles and theory.

citizen5
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »

It's not specifically for video games, but for general fiction writing tips I would highly recommend http://www.writingexcuses.com/ - the podcasts are hosted by Brandon Sanderson who is very successful at fantasy writing.

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »

Thanks for the responses!
I have Art of Game Design, it's a good book.

@citizen5
thanks for the tip, I'll check it out; I'm a fan of Brandon Sanderson

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »

Audiobooks... not much. For podcasts, check out http://thegamedesignroundtable.com/. Fairly wide topic coverage, and a lot of content available after over 100 episodes. A recent episode (110) about the science of fun was particularly fascinating to me, and helped me get through a power outage.

A lot of design talks from gdc or dice or the new york game center don't really need the visuals, so playing the audio for those is another good option. I love the post mortems from gdc.

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:55:55 AM »

Audiobooks... not much. For podcasts, check out http://thegamedesignroundtable.com/. Fairly wide topic coverage, and a lot of content available after over 100 episodes. A recent episode (110) about the science of fun was particularly fascinating to me, and helped me get through a power outage.

A lot of design talks from gdc or dice or the new york game center don't really need the visuals, so playing the audio for those is another good option. I love the post mortems from gdc.

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for

PapaCheech
Level 0

a canadian game developer.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:50:54 PM »

Jonathan Blow has some amazing talks on game design. I downloaded all of them and listen to them on my iPod as if they are audiobooks, as the video is usually unneccesary. His ideas have helped me learn alot about the way games are made and how we can improve the way we design and make them.

Here is one about the creative process and surviving the dev cycle:

Here is another great one about games and their relation to humanity. Very inspiring.

Truth in game design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwhEl6mGgLg

Advice on programming indie games (if you're a programmer, super useful tips here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDsP5n2kSM

a canadian game developer.<br /><br />twitter: @papacheech
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:04:27 AM »

+1 on listening to talks/presentations without necessarily watching the video. If there's enough room on my screen I do prefer to put a small video window next to my code or w/e while listening and occasionally watching, tho.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »

lots of stuff is related to game design but is not quite game design, like anything can be related because anything can go in a game.

so um. i recommend anything about world history, psych, comedy, etc...

um you dont have to take my word for it, there are lots of kooks who will tell you this. the hard part is finding game audiobooks, but there are lots of game podcasts, but not many ar theory, most are 'what have we been playing this week' and industry news...

http://www.raphkoster.com/category/reading/ <<kosters reading list
http://www.costik.com/weblog/ << costiks old blog before playthisthing, lots of good recs there. hard to find audio though.
http://auntiepixelante.com/ << the third best games history kook is anna, but she doesnt maintain a bibliography i dont think. annarchive, but its games not books. maybe youll find one (a bibliography) in one of her books.
http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/index.html << chris crawford, king of kooks. his bibliography.

WORLD HISTORY
like the best intro book on how world history unfolds is probably 'guns germs and steel' by jared diamond. i think diamond is less-true the further he gets from his own expertise, which is sociology if i recall correctly but still-true-enough. diamond has written other books since this. a lot of this academic stuff is gonna be heavy.

anything by stephen pinker.

I like dan carlin's 'hardcore history' podcast - even just the first episode on steppe people. nobody talks about the steppes. but from the steppes we get the scythians, the mongols, the turks and the huns. these guys affected history just by being terrifying, but they have their own cultures and their descendants have writing. the chinese and the romans wrote about how scary they were. hes a politics weirdo and he also does a indie politics podcast but its not required reading.

another thing here is anything on philosophy... any philosophy. eastern, western, presocratic, socratic, stoic, enlightenment. trust me: psychology is philosophy is games. same field.

bertrand russel can do you a rundown of all philosophers and whether they were right or wrong. you ucan trust bertrand russel a fair bit. like at least hes read all these dudes and has an opinion.

PSYCHOLOGY
npr does a good popular psych podcast or they used to.... radiolab. anything about tech and science that touches on the impact of these technologies moving forward. hmmm... any science fiction and fantasy novels tbh. a song of ice and fire if you havent read it or watched the tv show. even if you have watched it, the books are better, i dont have to prove this.

religion is also psychology. so like, theology, any religion. doesnt have to be your parents' religion.

the 'mental illness happiness hour' podcast will help you understand psych and understand the player. and why the do all the weird shit players do.

COMEDY
you can just listen to live acts, whoever you like. but all radio is comedy at some point, some more than others.

<< 'talking funny' these guys are at the top of their game. 150 years of expertise distilled into an hour.

um... what else is the same field as games. learning and teaching? tutorials. how to write a tutorial. this means all academics are game designers (many of them are bad at it. the market weeds out the worst stuff. you can choose your own popes.)

LANGUAGE
we all live in the shadow of chomsky so we should know chomsky. the criticism with chomski is he doesnt care much about the native people whose languages he describes.
stephen pinker. pinker writes about everythng but hes a linguist.
'the secret life of pronouns'. pennebaker. good probability analysis. if im talking it matters if i talk about myself 'i, me' or all of us (we, us). it affects people whether you talk to them or to yourself.

how to concatenate and recombine strings to make new strings that are still readable, that's computational linguistics.

SOCIOLOGY
i never did a sociology degree, its the nearest field to games i barely know anything about. sociology these days is sjw, so you'll have to listen to sjws.

so like: anything on being trans. anything on being queer. anything on being black, or just not white. anything on being a woman. anything on being a man, but more than this: poor. crazy. in prison. in work. danerous, dull and dirty work. in the military. in religion. in the family. we hide this shit but its still important.

anyway, we could get stuck talking about mens rights and feminism. just listen to people who are different from you. if you dont have black perspectives listen to some trade podcast about some black culture - like hip hop. this will give you guys that came up outside the academia, so newer and less well represented perspecties tha dont have to pass through the university system.

MILITARY
game theory, definitely game theory. people will tell you this isnt related to games but they're wrong. the developer is required to live in an iterated prisoners dilemma with the player.

what else is military? soldiers diaries, strategy and tactics: so sun tsu. um i dont know what else. blind spot for me. ask a military. but yeah: anything about guns and missiles and how best to use them i guess. guns are games too. economics. where does all the military money go.

which leads us back to politics... politics is games too.

COMICS
scott maccloud.

you can just read comics but they never have audio books really? i think. but the webcomics money models are the same as ours.

dont watch indie game the movie if you can avoid it. too close to home. how the sausage is made.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:09:16 PM by tok » Logged
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »

thanks for all the info guys!
and I can't believe I forgot podcasts were a thing

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »

i cant believe i forgot THE JEFF AND CASEY SHOW. listen to that obviously, if not everything else. casey's making handmade hero, about which - have you guys heard of tigsource? theres a post up on tigsource about it. everyone here reads tigsource, i hope.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »

There's this list put together by somebody on these boards. I forgot where the thread is, but the list is here:

https://github.com/hzoo/awesome-gametalks

Lots of links to videos.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic