Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:16:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeAll about the fonts
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: All about the fonts  (Read 2201 times)
Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »

Hey guys. Me and my dudes are working on an adventure game called Gibbous. Anyway, it's sort of a tribute to classic Lucas Arts adventure games, and I'd like to use a font that's similar to those they did. Found this font called the Secret Font Of Monkey Island, but some people have been telling me it might be problematic - I've since shot an e-mail to the guy who made it and waiting for him to answer.

I've been pointed to sites like fontsquirrel but their pixelated fonts are lacking in the numbers department. Any good commercial-free font sources out there I should be looking into? Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tl;dr: Looking for commercial free Lucas Arts adventure-like fonts

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:01:26 AM »

Hmmm I think font squirrel is the best one I've found, which I guess isn't much help..

Although have you considered making your own font since your looking for a fairly specific thing and a custom solution might be your best bet to get exactly what you want?

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
vobster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »

have you looked around on opengameart.org? there's a surprising amount of pretty good quality fonts floating around on there.

deviantART (busy w/ school, semi-hiatus)
MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:12:19 AM »

yeah, if you really want something similar to that font and can't find it anywhere you could try making it yourself. Since it's a small size pixel font I think http://fontstruct.com/ could handle it.

grayger
Level 0

I am a Game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 07:37:14 AM »

Did you check out http://www.dafont.com

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »

yeah, if you really want something similar to that font and can't find it anywhere you could try making it yourself. Since it's a small size pixel font I think http://fontstruct.com/ could handle it.

This sounds around the same lines as what I was going to suggest. Creating your own font allows you to mimic the font you're looking for, saves you money too (if you end up having to buy the font, happens sometimes), and you avoid any legal flack that you would get for using a font made by someone else.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
M-Tee
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 04:34:54 AM »

Bitmap (pixel) fonts and typefaces are not protected under copyright.
stason.org/TULARC/business/copyright/3-9-Are-fonts-copyrighted.html
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »

That's only for the US, and there are other things that can still cover the font. Really better to not use a font unless you got permission for that (either explicitly or through its license), just to be safe. At least if you're making a commercial game.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »

Surely it would be best to just make a custom one? Heck, I have this one image just laying around, the stuff on the right made in just 15 minutes:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic