Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:46:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe War Z guys weren't actually assholes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The War Z guys weren't actually assholes  (Read 1450 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SergeyTitov/20150113/234086/Postmortem_Launching_The_War_Z.php

One of the devs wrote about his game. It actually changes my view of the game hugely. All I had seen of the game was that it was a day z ripoff that was buggy and poorly made to cash in on the success of Day Z. But seeing the problems that the devs had with communication make me feel kinda ashamed that I thought so poorly of them.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:58:13 AM »

Yeah I remember when this hit the fan, and the biggest thing I took away from it was the devs or people in charge of PR at least sounded very arrogant and unprofessional...

I thought the fire-storm was caused by their reactions.. However 2.8m sales? Sort of proves even bad publicity is good publicity.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:22 AM »

Sounds like 'do as I say not as I do'... they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk... good guys in theory, a**holes in practice. Nothing justifies not giving people what you promised when you have a sh*tload of money.

It's because of people like these guys that indies have bad reputation nowadays. Basically indies are the guys who will take all your money and get away without delivering the game properly.

With that amount of money and not being able to deliver a decent game, they could just license the best AAA engine out there, hire some experienced devs, and start it again (reusing everything they can). They would still be extremely rich in the end and won't have such a bad reputation, but once you're rich like that, reputation mean nothing.

Also, blaming the comparison to DayZ is simply ridiculous. Blaming the consumers. Way to go. Very smart move. Blaming the press is also pathetic. If that's everything they have in their defense, then they're 4yo in mental age.

The sole responsible for their bad reputation are themselves. Press and consumers will only leverage your bad reputation.

People should be judged for their acts. If they had good intentions we probably will never know for sure, but considering the facts I'd say there's a higher chance to win the Oregon lotto than that they had good intentions.

LTS: After making sh*tloads of money off a false advertised product, they claimed the customers and the press are the bad guys, and are enjoying sh*tloads of money in some tropical beach.

They are probably just playing the good guys hoping that will reduce their chances of being shot by some enraged customer... it's either that or they're just laughing at our faces.

PS: I didn't buy the game, but as an indie dev, I feel extremely irritated with such level of disrespect to the customers and the press, which are the reason for the success of various honest indie devs, and such amount of hypocrisy.
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:38:59 AM »

I played it for about 6-12 months from when it first launched. I had a lot of good memories on it, and a lot of bad ones. I liked it (and probably would still like it) more than DayZ.

The things they were doing weren't too bad, they just had way too much attention and many big YouTubers (also consequently were huge DayZ fanboys) railed the game for every little mistake they made.

I never really got the impression they were being assholes, they were pretty nice on the forums. But the game was Pay 2 Win for a long while and they didn't listen to criticism, so I stopped playing since then. They never really justified why you could buy ammo for real money, or why (for like 2 days) you had to pay to revive early. They just sort of put 'em in and ignored everyone, which I guess leads to the impression that they're assholes, which I wouldn't entirely disagree with that assumption. Fact is though they were just a bunch of indie devs who were way over their heads.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:47:36 AM »

Also, blaming the comparison to DayZ is simply ridiculous. Blaming the consumers. Way to go. Very smart move. Blaming the press is also pathetic. If that's everything they have in their defense, then they're 4yo in mental age.

Yeah, I didn't get that. Especially since in the fourth paragraph in, the dude says they were out to clone DayZ but make it more accessible for casuals.

I really have some issues wrapping my head around the death respawn thing being an intentional game balance choice. Especially for a game for casuals. That spins my head right 'round. He's either very very stupid or can't even tell the truth in a post-mortem.

This post-mortem actually hasn't changed my opinion of them at all. But then again, I never got up much hate for them in the first place, so...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:34:54 AM »

Basically indies are the guys who will take all your money and get away without delivering the game properly.

It's mostly triple A devs that have that sort of reputation though
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:25:17 AM »

lies, dirty lies.
They twisted all the facts about the game and its removal, including not mentioning "Foundation build" and relation to War Inc.

In short, they hastly remade their war shooter game after Arma 2 blew in charts because of DayZ. Then they tried to deliberately confuse people to think its DayZ standalone. Then they were removed out of steam, because some of advertised features were not in the game or not acurate.
And then there were small stuff like using stolen art on website and creating fake forum accounts.
Mind you, cash shop was working full steam. You could buy and lose stuff in this early beta game.

That man made freaking Big Rigs and he took pride in it, because he made a game for 15000 bucks. This article was probably made to clear his google karma a bit and attract future investor. Helps when you made what is considered worst game in history and that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:28:46 AM »

That man made freaking Big Rigs and he took pride in it, because he made a game for 15000 bucks. This article was probably made to clear his google karma a bit and attract future investor. Helps when you made what is considered worst game in history and that.

hahahaha is that really true?
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:33:22 AM »

He made the engine and licensed it to the devs of Big Rigs, at least that's what I saw in an interview.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:41:54 AM »

This makes a lot of sense.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »

Well, he developed a base engine and gave it to a team in other country in exchange of co-owning said team. Its unclear if they ever met in person or if he was involved in decision-making. Also none of articles specify who got Big Rigs license and did negotiations between US and Ukraine.
Its impossible to know, but his current credit isnt nice.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »

to be honest ive never played the game so was unaware of this whole saga

i did some more research and it seems like some really scummy shit went down and the half apologies in the postmortem don't really shed a better light on the guy or the game.
MrBones
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 02:46:57 PM »

Sounds like 'do as I say not as I do'... they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk... good guys in theory, a**holes in practice. Nothing justifies not giving people what you promised when you have a sh*tload of money.

yeah this is pretty accurate
I bought this game after some of my friends begged me to buy it so we could play togethor

i got a refund within 48 hours, easily one of the worst purchases of my life. I read the article and the guy just sounds like he's making a ton of excuses and blaming others for his mistakes.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »

I dunno I try to hope that people are trying their best (especially when it's for a game that I've never played and have no relation to), so I felt like his article wasn't excuses as much as explanations.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic