Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:24:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Is OS X Yosemite as awful as they say?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Is OS X Yosemite as awful as they say?  (Read 3054 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2015, 05:37:04 AM »

So for various reasons (some actually seemingly really nice new features), I'm considering upgrading my 2011 ~ 2012 MacBook Pro from Mavericks to Yosemite.

However, the overwhelming amount of reviewers on the App Store have rated it one star, and the average is 2,5 out of 5. Every comment on the first page is really negative.

Does anyone here have any experience working with the latest OS X for their gamedev? Is it really that bad? Or do you like it? I can revert if I do upgrade and hate it, right? I think I did that once by putting my original Snow Leopard CD into the computer after a failed upgrade to Mountain Lion (failed as in the computer didn't actually work, tho, not as in I didn't like the system – tried the install again and it worked fine after that). So I think that's possible, right?

But yeah.

HELP ME.

They say it's slow. Wi-Fi is slow. Stuff is slow and blegh and ugh. Is it?

plump
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:16:02 AM »

its cool and everything
~cool kid
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »

Hi,

Yosemite being my first mac experience, I can't compare to any previous version.
Anyway, I'm very happy with it. It's really reactive.
Even with the 4G version, it runs smooth.

When playing Heroes of the Storm while surfing on a second monitor, it leaves me 16 Mb(worst case) of available RAM and everything work still fine.

It sometimes lag for an unknown reason. Probably the 5400 RPM HD but in any case it's much faster than the Windows 7 I'm using at work with a faster CPU and more RAM.

I like the google integrations since I'm more Android than iPhone.

I have some wifi slow down but I had them with my windows box so it's probably not linked to Yosemite.

Safari is amazing. I was used to Chrome but now I mostly use Safari for which I love the trackpad gestures.
Anyway for some rare website, mostly using streaming, Chrome is faster.

Note: I'm using a 2014 Mac mini; I don't know if the bad comments are only  on earlier Macs or on both old and new.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »

I'm using it on my MacBook Pro as of a few nights ago.

Haven't had any problems with it. Using it as a development environment, primarily with Unity. Haven't been doing anything really intense with it (my game has very low graphics/mem requirements), and I haven't been gaming on it or anything, but so far it's running smoothly.

I did have an issue with Gimp where I had to upgrade to 2.8.14 (from 2.Cool or it would crash every time. So that's perhaps not a great sign.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:02:23 AM »

Everyone seems positive here. Got a positive reply about it on Twitter too. Pretty sure at least one of my colleagues at my last employment was happily using it (texted him and asked but no reply yet). Hm.

Here's a screenshot of the top comments and ratings for Yosemite on the App Store:

EDIT:
He replied now. Positively. Perhaps I dare do it after all…
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:32:26 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »

I upgraded my mid-2012 MacBook Pro in the midst of debugging some bizarre OpenGL performance issues. The upgrade fixed the problem I was having, and didn't introduce too much more pain into my life overall. Some things are better, some things are worse; not enough things are worse for me to recommend staying on Mavericks. Presumably, the app store reviews are low because the people who are most motivated to leave them are the people who have had negative experiences.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »

Yeah, I suppose. I'll upgrade now and report back to y'all! Thanks to everyone for your input.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

So I started the upgrade right after I wrote that message, and it's done now. Took quite a while. It was stuck on "22 minutes left" with the progress bar not moving a pixel for like 10 minutes in the beginning, until it changed to "45" minutes and started moving at a reasonable pace. It was then stuck on "about a minute left" for at least half an hour, and googling it, I found it was a common issue and that one could bring up a log using cmd+L to see what's actually going on. Took several minutes of rainbow wheel before that log appeared, but it was moving, and it did work out.

Don't know if it's slow yet. Internet seems to be slow, but it seemed to be before today too, so I hope it has nothing to do with it. Girlfriend's playing online game tho, so that's probably it. And the computer was always a bit slow right after startup, probably loading background stuff.

Downloading the Xcode update, so we'll have to see what happens. But I've survived this far and my files are intact!

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:49:10 AM »

And the computer was always a bit slow right after startup, probably loading background stuff.

The first boots were also very slow for me but now it much faster.
The same is also true the apps I use the most.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 02:25:27 AM »

Yeah. I probably got a bit ashamed from having a MacBook Air from work for almost a year with flash drives, booting in seconds. Just old-fashioned hard drives in my own Mac.

Anyway, Yosemite seemed to be working fine yesterday, but I never got too far. Only messed with Xcode, so I haven't tried everything out yet, like Steam games or After Effects.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:42 AM »

One gripe I have: "Open With" seems to be working much slower. It looks like it's constantly fetching an app list dynamically and taking its sweet time.

It also looks like it reset my opening defaults. So Powerpoint slides constantly want to open in Preview even though that's dumb.

Minor gripes I guess, but still obnoxious.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 07:16:01 AM »

Was kinda slow sometimes before for me anyways, and randomly wouldn't show up at all, so that I'd have to right-click again.

Did some 1920x1080 animation in After Effects yesterday anyway, and it was pretty smooth! So I don't feel like anything's different from before, really. So thanks again for everyone's input.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 02:23:43 AM »

Welp, I've tried to "open with" a few times now, and you're right. It hasn't even loaded for me yet before I've lost the patience and just started the program manually with Spotlight instead and then dragged and dropped the file in. Blegh.

EDIT:
And just because I said that, now the list loaded in no time. Woop.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »

Spotlight has been kind of clunky for me since the upgrade, and the 'all my files' screen that initially loads in Finder no longer posts my most recent docs, wav files, etc.  Apparently there's an update available; Will it help...  Shrug

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 03:51:41 AM »

Yeah, I can open applications with Spotlight but opening text files and stuff with it now is hopeless. I type the exact name of the file and nothing happens until I give up and just open it manually from the corresponding application.

Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 02:05:30 AM »

Problem with App Store ratings is that people either rate five stars or one. There is generally no in-between. I would not be surprised if a lot of those one-star ratings were from people who didn't like the new flat design.

ESWAT
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 07:50:29 AM »

I’ve only been a Mac user for the past five years, and my use of it has become more complex as time as has grown. But I’ve been the least satisfied with Yosemite than with any other update to OS X and it’s due to the stability and WiFi problems. While they seem to be fixing these with updates there are still a few blockers that drive me crazy when they do happen that aren’t resolved yet.

My theory is that they just can’t keep up with introducing new features and improving performance in an annual release cycle anymore. I wish they went back to the Leopard/Snow Leopard release cycle where they added fancy features one year then refined those the next year.

Most of my toolchain is Unix-based so I could go to Linux if I really wanted to. But I’d at least need a Windows or OS X VM to run Ableton, Adobe CS, etc., and I don’t like the idea of having two development environments…
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »

I agree that OSX releases seem to be less stable nowadays, unfortunately. While Yosemite is prettier (hell yeah, dark mode), I have WiFi problems time to time that make me restart my machine. I don't know if I would choose not to update if I knew these problems, since I like being updated due to application support and security fixes, but it is annoying.

This post sums part of what I think about OSX releases right now: http://www.marco.org/2015/01/04/apple-lost-functional-high-ground
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:34:42 PM by Manuel Magalhães » Logged

WafflePilot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »

I've had some issues with it but, but nothing that's driven me mad yet other then the maximize button being replaced with the expand to full screen thing otherwise graphically/theme wise I love it

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »

nothing that's driven me mad yet other then the maximize button being replaced with the expand to full screen thing

Hold option to get maximize back. I always forget and end up in full screen when I don't want to be, which is pretty annoying, but at least the old behavior is still available. Just have to retrain fingers.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic