Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:03:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC: So it begins again.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: GDC: So it begins again.  (Read 186751 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »

Holy shit. You're young!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »

Last year we had an awesome art jam at the Denny's across the street, I hope there's something like that this year.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »

Last year we had an awesome art jam at the Denny's across the street, I hope there's something like that this year.

Should we organize one? Any night in particular that is usually less busy?

play hydlide 2
Chris Pavia
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »

It can be tough finding a night without a major party going on, but I'd definitely try to avoid the Wild Rumpus and POW (DNA Lounge) parties.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »

It can be tough finding a night without a major party going on, but I'd definitely try to avoid the Wild Rumpus and POW (DNA Lounge) parties.

Are those 21+ ?

play hydlide 2
Chris Pavia
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »

POW is 21+, not sure about Wild Rumpus although tickets for that have been sold out for a while now (more will probably be available as GDC nears).
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 26, 2013, 03:14:40 AM »

What about GDC Europe? Is it too far off to talk about?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:41 AM »

I'll be there exhibiting Dungeon Dashers at GDC Play Kiosk #77 on Tues/Weds/Thurs (and hanging about the rest of the time). Come say hello Smiley

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »

I'll be in San Fransico for two weeks around GDC, so I'm up for meeting up with people and things. Maybe I can make it to the annual Denny's (or wherever) drawing event this time.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »

Woo GDC! I'll be there, and eager to meet more of you and see those I've already met again. Taking a quick glance at the schedule builder, it seems there are actually sessions to go to on days other than Monday and Tuesday for IGS pass holders now. Cool! I've never really gotten to parties/jams/etc. very much in previous years, but I'm going to try a lot harder this time.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »

say hi to me, I will be the baldish, shortish person showing off bad hotel, and just generally wandering around, probably having low blood sugar.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »

Well, maybe I will organize a denny's thing but I don't know too many people. Could be fun, maybe to do it before one of the big parties?

play hydlide 2
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »

The (Denny's) artjam is a regular thing at this point.  Good mojo for sure.

I'm at the HI Downtown Hostel 8 nights (sat - sun).  Expect me to be wearing either a goofy wool fedora or a far goofier plaid cap with indie game buttons all over it.  And a backpack.  And maybe an accordion.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »

I saw a bunch of people apparently looking at some indie gamey stuff in the lobby of the HI last year when I was wandering around on sunday night.

Are random people allowed to just wander into the lobby for something like that?

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Chris Pavia
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »

I think that's the place where all the indies stay for GDC, which is why you'd see something like that there.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

argh. Not this year for me. Next. Best wishes to those going. I'll like design a game in your favor. Shocked .... Not. I'll just cry myself to sleep, then watch IGF vids online.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »

I think that's the place where all the indies stay for GDC, which is why you'd see something like that there.

Well at least I will know all of these things for next year...gotta stay in a hotel sorta far away now.

I don' treally know San Francisco, is that area basically like Chicago's Loop or NYC's downtown Manhattan in terms of crime (as in there is not much)

play hydlide 2
Chris Pavia
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »

SF has a very large homeless population, so you can turn a corner and end up in a shadier part of town pretty easily. Downtown itself isn't too bad apart from panhandlers and the like. I personally haven't yet had a problem yet, but I only visit occasionally (I live abt 30-40 min away). Phubans, Derek, or one of the other guys who live in the city could give you a better idea of which places to avoid.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »

From what I've experienced visiting a few times, the area around the Moscone center is relatively nice. I always make sure to have my guard up against panhandlers and weirdos, but I don't generally feel like I'm in danger in that part of town. The area that does make me uncomfortable is southwest of the conference center. I don't remember the number, but I walked down one street (9th? 10th? Maybe somewhere in that area?) at night, and thought I was about to get mugged at any moment. Everywhere else I've been in the area seemed OK. Savvier people and residents might have a better idea of places to avoid...

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

We'll be in HISF Downtown most nights during the week, feel free to say hi (We'll be the blonde aussie guy and rough polish guy coding in the lounge, and potentially a beardy metalhead californian).

Would love someone to sort out a Denny's art jam because Mr Saltsman isn't at gdc this year afaik. Would love it to happen again though.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic