Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:18:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC: So it begins again.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: GDC: So it begins again.  (Read 185362 times)
pl1x
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 31, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »

I've written Maggan Scavio (event director of GDC together with Carless) on Twitter that i'm excited for GDC'14 and IGF and she replied that. ^.^

\"At the end of the day, having a great game. That\'s all that matters!\" - Emil Pagliarulo
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: July 31, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »

cool
I'm relieved she didn't tell you it would be bland and average

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
simoniker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 14, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »

Hey any TIGSource-rs paying attention - we've opened attendance for the 2014 show (March 17th-21st, 2014!)

I just wanted to make SURE you folks were aware that the Indie Games Summit passes are available and going fast (>50% sold already!) So you might want to go and grab one now:

http://www.gdconf.com/attend/passes.html

Obviously if they sell out you can still get in via some different pass types - you can visit IGF with just an Expo Pass, go to IGS with Summits or All-Access, and there's a bunch of cool stuff happening offsite anyhow - but I really want to make sure ACTUAL indies pick up the indie pass (vs. 'people who see it's the cheapest non-expo pass') so please make us proud Smiley
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »

Didn't get an IGS pass in time cause I was slow.
Every year I see people buying spare/cancellation/etc passes from other people though, and I'm wondering where I should be beating the bushes to find one.

Not super sad if I don't find one, it was my fault I didn't get one earlier, but I might as well try

Anyone know/know someone who has done this in the past?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »

I am going to GDC this year

It will be off the hooook or something

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »

Still haven't found a pass.

Trombone noises.

AUST
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2014, 03:54:09 PM »

Still haven't found a pass.

Trombone noises.
People probably still don't know if they have extra passes or not yet.

If you don't have a pass you can still come to lost levels and hang out with indies.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »

Ah, ok.
It's a hell of a long trip for me, so I'm aiming to do all I can, if I end up going.

AUST
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »

I don't think MM and I will be there this year, unfortunately. Gonna meet up somewhere closer to some of the rest of the team instead. Have fun if you attend, will be missing the hostel for sure, great vibe in that place.

ink.inc
« Reply #309 on: January 11, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »

i will be here this year

along with blademasterbobo

!
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:47 PM »

Hey gang, I just found out I can go to GDC time wise but the Indie game summit passes have been sold out. If anyone has access to a spare I would be interested in buying it off them.

I have big indie dreams to fulfill there.

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 14, 2014, 09:20:31 PM »

Me too. I would love to buy an IGS pass. :<

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: January 19, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »

7+ years doing this computers-games nonsense, and I am now registered for my first ever GDC! I am pretty excited.

Does anybody else have any words to say about what it's like to attend locally? I live only about an hour away, so I deeply doubt the gas there and back every day will be more than the cost of lodging. What's parking like, though? etc.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
FGL_Aaron
Level 0

Happy to help!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »

For those still interested in buying an Independent Games Summit pass, I think FGL still has 25 slots open at IndieGiving.com.

Every year they host an event that gathers a bunch of indie game devs together to give a little back by volunteering to do a bit of yard work for a non-profit organization in the area. It generally comes with a meal or two, a few goodies (t-shirts, some shwag, etc), and has covered hotel stays in the past.

I'm not sure exactly what will be included in the package this year, but it is something that the president of FGL is working to make as awesome as possible!

At the very least it gives you the opportunity to hang out with other indie developers for a few hours.

Game Agent/Engineer at FGL.com
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »

7+ years doing this computers-games nonsense, and I am now registered for my first ever GDC! I am pretty excited.

Does anybody else have any words to say about what it's like to attend locally? I live only about an hour away, so I deeply doubt the gas there and back every day will be more than the cost of lodging. What's parking like, though? etc.

Ness,

I live down by Mountain View and have gone 3 times. I've stayed with friends, which kept costs down. Last year I wanted to stay at the indie hostel but didn't get a room in time (oops).

The huge benefit of staying near Moscone is that you can stay out late socializing, then get up early to board games with Ian Schreiber in the morning. I've had friends who attended from the south bay who had to head home early and missed seeing Indie Game: the Movie with a room full of indie game developers.

If you can find a floor to crash on or a cheap hostel bed, do it! At hotel prices I'm not so sure. Depends on your finances. It's a tradeoff between spending money for lodging vs. spending time commuting instead of meeting game makers.

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
FGL_Aaron
Level 0

Happy to help!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »

If you can find a floor to crash on or a cheap hostel bed, do it! At hotel prices I'm not so sure. Depends on your finances. It's a tradeoff between spending money for lodging vs. spending time commuting instead of meeting game makers.

Definitely.

If you attend any of the after parties and are of age (21 in the US), there's gonna be LOTS of drinking and mingling late into the night...

every night...   WTFToast Right Toast Left Shocked

Game Agent/Engineer at FGL.com
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »

Didn't get an IGS pass in time cause I was slow.
Every year I see people buying spare/cancellation/etc passes from other people though, and I'm wondering where I should be beating the bushes to find one.

Not super sad if I don't find one, it was my fault I didn't get one earlier, but I might as well try

Anyone know/know someone who has done this in the past?
Not an IGS pass, but I've got an All-Access pass that I need to unload (super bummed that i have to do this Sad). If you can swing the extra cash, it's really great b/c you get GDC Vault access to most of the sessions afterwards and pretty much just get to wander into every which part of the conference.(which of course includes IGS, but i'd also recommend the game design workshop as well if you're inclined)
PM me ASAP if you're interested. I would be glad to help out a fellow TIG'r.

(Can only hold onto this for a few days tho because if I don't find a buyer I'll just have to straight up cancel it and take the hit from the service fee from getting a refund)

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2014, 07:39:07 PM »

I actually managed to snag an IGS pass, pending confirmation.
And I can't really afford the premium.

Thanks though, and best of luck finding a buyer!

AUST
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »

Tell me more about hostels; I hear people talk about them sometimes.
I'm not really familiar with anything that falls between hotels and under-a-tree-at-the-local-mortuary's-lawn*.

I am excited to hang out with people at parties and the like on the nights, but also, A, I don't want to plan on getting invited to (m)any, and, B, I don't know if I can do that every night.
What y'all are saying makes sense, though, so I'm definitely rethinking my original plan.

*an actual thing I did once. It was pretty nice.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2014, 01:12:04 AM »

The "indie hostel" (SFO Downtown) is generally the place to be if you want a nice community vibe and a fairly comfy lounge to make games in.

Of course, being a hostel there's communal toilets and showers, but they are pretty regularly cleaned and the hot water is usually pretty nice. I've only had one lovecraftian toilet experience in my two week-long visits.

SFO Downtown is about 500x better than the one down the road, and you know what here's a map

The one down the hill sucks about 30 dicks, we went there for a few days in the middle of the week last time and it's got a super dodgy vibe, "nice private showers" that have imaginary water pressure and shit temperature, and significantly more patchy wifi. You've been warned.

The map shows how to get to the mall, where you can get breakfast that isn't just bagels, cream cheese and appls (or at least, the closest place), and the way to moscone west where the talks are mostly held. The line going off into nothing goes to the other bit of moscone, where the expo, gdc play and some other talks are held.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic