Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:24:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to find out which categories on Steam are popular/unpopular?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to find out which categories on Steam are popular/unpopular?  (Read 1059 times)
BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:24:55 AM »

How can you find out which categories on Steam are popular or unpopular? Is it just a case of going and looking and seeing many games are in category? is it better to make a game in a popular category or perhaps in a less-saturated category?
jiitype
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:58:59 AM »

Make the games you want to make
BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »

That's exactly what I'm going to do Smiley, but I would like to know whether I'm entering into a category which is saturated or popular or unpopular, that might affect how I market the game.
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »

I think this is a massively sensible approach If you want to make a living from Indie games taking it seriously and doing research is key.

I'm not sure how to best find out about "on steam" other than researching yourself. Look for games that might compete with you and check out their concurrent users, do searches for basic key words and see if you'd have any competition for your key words etc. Then maybe look for post mortems of similar games and see the sales figures, forums for these games and see what the communities are like etc.

If your making something unique, this is of course a lot harder to work out what you'll be going up against.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:39:25 AM »

Thanks, yeah I want to make a retro/pixel art shoot-em up with some strategy elements, and it seems there's not that many on Steam like that so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing! Smiley
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »

Make the games you want to make
or let him develop games as he wants to

jiitype
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »

I wasn't trying to stop him, u dum.

Thanks, yeah I want to make a retro/pixel art shoot-em up with some strategy elements, and it seems there's not that many on Steam like that so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing! Smiley

Sure, that sounds interesting. There are tons of games with retro pixel art so it's important to make it look good. How would you mix the strategy elements with a shmup?
BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »

I wasn't trying to stop him, u dum.

Sure, that sounds interesting. There are tons of games with retro pixel art so it's important to make it look good. How would you mix the strategy elements with a shmup?

Early days yet, but I've had this idea for years and I'm only now just getting around to making it reality. I'll be taking an old (very old) shooter and expanding upon it while keeping it's crazy arcade roots. Combined with some interesting ideas for pixel art and particles. I'll start to blog about it when I have some early mockups in about a months time. It will (hopefully) be on Steam.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 10:43:11 PM »

Take top 100 games on steam and separate them by category manually.

From this data you can conclude you should make an viking era open world MOBA with zombies.

You're welcome.

BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 03:33:11 AM »

Take top 100 games on steam and separate them by category manually.

From this data you can conclude you should make an viking era open world MOBA with zombies.

You're welcome.

There's probably 5 of those already in production Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic