Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:58:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTigSource Musical Challenge XXXVII - VOTING!!!
Poll
Question: Who should win this compositional challenge?  (Voting closed: February 01, 2015, 10:00:39 AM)
Qwercus | Sketch: Final Boss - 7 (87.5%)
The Translocator | Clash of Arms - 0 (0%)
Dioltas | Battle of Unknown Origins - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TigSource Musical Challenge XXXVII - VOTING!!!  (Read 1308 times)
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »

Alrighty, poll is made, here is some feedback.  And thanks again everyone for entering; apologies for the hold up.

A review of the rules of the contest

Feedback
This is all just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and at the end of the day, you should trust your own opinion.

The Translocator | Clash of Arms:
Interesting choice using the piano; I don’t normally associate the instrument with battle music, but the arrangement is well done. I’ll be honest, I like the song, but it doesn’t invoke the feeling of physical conflict. There's tension for sure, but it almost feels like a piece written for a montage as opposed to THE battle. Kinda wish the drums would evolve into a different pattern at some point. Sonically, it's very pleasing, good instrumentation and a real solid ending. Excellent work!

SmaugPenDraig | Something Is Coming:
Nice. It’s definitely BIG sounding and there is certainly a sense of physical tension in the air. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, the track should have been written for this contest  (thank you for your honesty) and by default, it is not included in the voting poll. I definitely get a JRPG battle song vibe, which I'm a sucker for.  Grin

Qwercus | Sketch: Final Boss
Excellent arrangement; you fit the different sections of your piece together seamlessly and it’s filled with conflicting tension.  Nice chord progressions and overall, this is a good example of what the challenge was all about. There is most-definitely a battle in the air, and it's monumental.  Only nitpick I have (and it's very minor), I really like the arpeggio organ in the chorus, I just wish it was a tad louder.

Homicide_Monkey | TIGSource Battle Theme
Pulsing synths and drums certainly create a sense of pressure and uncertainty. I wish it was longer, which is why it's not in the voting poll, but you've got a nice seed of an idea here. If you experimented with different time signatures (like 7/4), I think it would add a more uneasy edge to what you have. 

Dioltas | Battle of Unknown Origins
Several layers here. Love the intro and the instrument choices (part of your choir melody slightly reminds me of

) melody. Few nitpicks: there’s a part near 1:56 where the violin sort of just cuts out and is very distracting as it snaps the listener immediately out of the flow of the song. There are several moments where the drums are a bit too far out of sync with the rest of the instruments (1:13 and 1:32ish). Good vision though; your ideas are very-much in line with the contest and there's a lot of potential with this piece; well done!

Best of luck everyone, happy voting!!!

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »

Hey. Congratulations to the winner!

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »

Awesome, congrats qwercus! Thanks again everyone for participating.

qwercus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »

Thanks guys!  Grin

And again, thank you Kyle for organizing this and providing feedback. It was a lot of fun, and I look forward to the next one!

I make ♫♪
soundcloud | twitter
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »

Of course, glad you enjoyed it.

With so many new people submitting music, I should have pointed out how this works. The winner actually hosts the next challenge, so if you want to browse through the old contests to get some ideas, that'd probably be helpful to you. You can make the topic whatever you choose and the typical length of the challenge lasts between 3-4 weeks.

Best of luck sir  Gentleman

qwercus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »

Oh, I see!  I'll gladly take the baton.  Smiley

I make ♫♪
soundcloud | twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic