Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:20:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDropBoy (0.3)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DropBoy (0.3)  (Read 2527 times)
Hapiel
Level 0

Pixel artist - OPP project

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »

DROPBOY
vertical scrolling arcade game

DOWNLOAD ALPHA V0.3
(win) (updated 20th March 2015)

• Genre: Arcade
  • File Size:  1,98 MB
  • Engine: GameMaker
  • Download Link: HERE (0.3)(Windows)

Game description

Descend, score points. Spikes bring down your health, fall of the screen and you die.

This game was based on NS-Shaft from 1996

Controls
Arrow keys < & >  or A & D to control player.
ctrl key resets room
F1-F6 change resolution
F12 toggle fullscreen
In the menu: 1, 2 or 3 to select level.

Make sure you play level 2, that is the normal mode

Todo:
More block types (currently 9)
Multiple levels / difficulty modes
Multiplayer mode
Menu

Questions from me to you
I am curious to what you scored at the different levels!

Do you have any feature suggestions?

Let me know if there are any bugs or issues
Any other feedback is welcome Smiley
Dropboy is my very first game, so I don't really know what reaction to expect, haha

Oh, and if you happen to be a musician and you would like to create some songs for this freeware game, contact me ^^

UPDATELOG
V 0.3 (20/3/2015)
2 new block types
variable block width
3 levels
4 items
Sound effects
New healthbar
game over screen
Different scoring system

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:43:45 AM by Hapiel » Logged

Check out the Open Pixel Project, public domain quality tiles and sprites collaboration :D

Also, my game: DropBoy
debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »

My first score was 32. But basically because I was curious to see what happens if I felt all the way down, to learn the mechanics.

My high score is 97.

I found the game fun. What I think is kinda strange is that hitting the spikes cause just some damage, that can be regained with stepping on blocks, but all the way dawn was instant game over. I end up trying to use the health advantage instead of a risky jump. But I guess this is the purpose right?

but IMO I would change the gap fall to just some damage instead of instant game over.

all in all, nice game!
Hapiel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »

Thanks for your reply! I am glad you liked the game Smiley

97 max, than you have not even seen half of the block types the game has to offer! I should get an easier mode in soon-ish Wink

About the spikes and health:
I want to encourage people to jump on more blocks. The game gets boring when you are waiting all the time and only dropping last minute. Regenerating health was my initial solution for this, but perhaps I will make the scoring system so that you earn points for each block you touch. Later in the game you will encounter spike blocks, and I want it to be possible to make a tactical choice to jump to one of those, knowing that you can regain the health... That way I hope that you need to think a bit while playing, instead of only blindly dropping yourself to the safe blocks.
I would prefer not to change the gap to damage, rather make the spikes do more damage so you can only get hit once instead of twice in a row Wink

Check out the Open Pixel Project, public domain quality tiles and sprites collaboration :D

Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »

First score 15 Tongue when I realized you can fall too far.
12 on second and
89 on 3rd try

After a few tries I got 175 then I discovered a spike platform.
And after a dozen more tries without beating that I think I'm done for now.

As for suggestions maybe add some collectible to some platforms so that I don't just wait until last moment to pick which platform I want to go for.
Also losing health should have some sound effect also maybe reduce score a little(since health regenerates I could just use the spikes to occasionally force me through the platform, only reason not to being that you might need the health soon).
You could try changing the background or adding some props to it based on which platform type is "main" one or based on how deep you are, if you have the time for it.

If you can't find a musician you could just use some random music generator(ie. WolframTones but there seem to be other options that work).
Hapiel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 06:14:46 AM »

Download v 0.3!
UPDATELOG
V 0.3 (20/3/2015)
2 new block types
variable block width
3 levels
4 items
Sound effects
New healthbar
game over screen
Different scoring system

----

Thanks for the suggestions! I have now added collectibles, as suggested (find them in lvl 2 & 3). Also you now get points by landing on a block, not just by letting time pass, so you are encouraged to move!

I still want to change the background over time so you get a feeling that you are getting deeper, and perhaps also have music that gets more intense over time...

Now there is an easy mode (warm up, press 1), and an experimental mode where I dropped some features that still need some work, and more block types and items will be tested there soon!

Thanks for playing and keep the feedback coming!

Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »

Just noticed that this was updated at some point but the download link is dead. Sad
You Blister My Paint
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »

Yeah download link is dead.

Would like to try it out, looks similar to something I was working on.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic