Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:11:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIs anyone using FastSpring? Quite disappointed at their "hidden" fee.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is anyone using FastSpring? Quite disappointed at their "hidden" fee.  (Read 966 times)
clewcat
Level 0

clewcat on the fly!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »

I started selling my game on FastSpring last year. I chose it because according to their pricing they only charge 8.9% fee for each transaction.

Everything went well until I found the payments they sent me were ~20% less than my gross incomes. Their answer to me is there's a minimum fee of $0.75 when the order is low cost (my game is priced at $5) because of the minimum swipe fees on credit cards. So actually I was charged 15% for each sale, but I didn't know because it's written in the User Agreement (yes another example teaches us YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GO THROUGH EVERY LINE OF THE USER TERMS!)

After I questioned them, they promised to change the minimum fee to $0.60. That price is less unreasonable but I wonder why they set the fee of $0.75 at the first place?

After all, what I want to say is that if you consider sell your game on some e-commerce service rather than the distribution platforms like Steam and App Store, 20% and 30% are not much different, but chances are you can get featured or promoted on Steam or App Store, which can bring in much more sales.

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »

I started selling my game on FastSpring last year. I chose it because according to their pricing they only charge 8.9% fee for each transaction.

Everything went well until I found the payments they sent me were ~20% less than my gross incomes. Their answer to me is there's a minimum fee of $0.75 when the order is low cost (my game is priced at $5) because of the minimum swipe fees on credit cards. So actually I was charged 15% for each sale, but I didn't know because it's written in the User Agreement (yes another example teaches us YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GO THROUGH EVERY LINE OF THE USER TERMS!)

After I questioned them, they promised to change the minimum fee to $0.60. That price is less unreasonable but I wonder why they set the fee of $0.75 at the first place?

After all, what I want to say is that if you consider sell your game on some e-commerce service rather than the distribution platforms like Steam and App Store, 20% and 30% are not much different, but chances are you can get featured or promoted on Steam or App Store, which can bring in much more sales.

Be aware that you don't just "choose" to be on steam. You should go through greenlight/publisher.
You should ask the humble store if you want your game distributed with lower fee.

If you can be on steam/Appstore, you should be on every channel you can. Selling your game on your own website AND steam AND appstore.

But thanks for warning us on this hidden fee!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic