Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:16:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCOLONY - A Horribly Ambitious Top Down Shooter By Total Noobs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: COLONY - A Horribly Ambitious Top Down Shooter By Total Noobs  (Read 1725 times)
TheDarthMoogle
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:43 AM »

At the beginning of this year, I had a look at the dozens of people that I regularly play with in The Realm, a multi-game clan I am involved with. I thought to myself, "there's got to be some people in here with the skills to put something playable together". And so it begins.

Our first meeting was spent brainstorming what kinds of game we would want to make together. Something top down, shooting lots of aliens in the face with a little bit of base defence and resource collecting. Horribly ambitious, yes. But hey, whatever.

This week we presented to each other sketches of player characters, aliens and weaponry. The quality varies, but the main objective was to promote discussion amongst ourselves rather than come up with a solid concept for each element.

Some went above and beyond in their work that week, and produced some great discussion. We decided in advance that we wanted a low poly art style, and while some sketches didn't represent that, we discussed how they would translate. We were very fond of the enemies in the above picture. We're inclined to go a bit elemental, so expect more glowy bits on them in future! DramaticDelta, the creator of the above render, has been getting all the models rigged and ready to roll out.

This is mine. It's rubbish. If an animator took a look at how I made this, they would puke everywhere. But at least it's made entirely of quads. That's about all it's got going for it.

PsychoKillerMonkey made this render of a rifle based off of a 2D sketch I did. We liked it a lot.

Everyone and anyone has the capacity to make great games and come up with great ideas. In the end, it was this image above by Requiem that won us all over with the player character being a robotic drone. So this week we're coming up with our own concepts of a player character that is not bipedal.

Over the next week we're also cracking on experimenting with player movement within Unity and camera angles and perspectives. We'll then demo the examples we all come up with and decide on the shooting mechanics, so we can build that onto the existing controller. Having something palpable is always an essential morale boost early on, so personally I'm very excited to have such and engaged and enthusiastic team. Hopefully we can all keep it up!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic