Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:05:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShould I make major changes to my game part way through development?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Should I make major changes to my game part way through development?  (Read 954 times)
Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:49 AM »

I've been working on a game for around 4 months now, and I've been loving it. Recently though I've been feeling as though a major change in the way the game works would be beneficial. I could use some of the work I've done so far, but a lot would need to be redone.

I'm aware that new developers often feel that starting over on a game would help them, when in fact they'd be better off just staying on track. What I'm asking I suppose it's whether or not people think it can be justified to rework large parts of a game to try and make it more fun? Or is it better to just carry on with what you have? Any help is very much appreciated.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:36:17 AM »

Could we have some more specific info about what would be involved in this particular case?

Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:44:41 AM »

Sure -  currently my game is pretty much a management game based around farming. I'm feeling that I'd like to change it to have certain roguelike elements. It'd involve changing the way objects are placed etc. but I feel the game would be more fun. Hope that helps.
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »

As with most things Game Design, there's no clear right or wrong here - It Depends.

How confident are you the changes will lead to a better game?
How confined are you by financial & time concerns?
How much of a rework are the changes? Is it a task that will take a day or a month?
What's the quality level of the game like now? Is it fun currently, or does it feel like it's not quite there?
Does it make it an entirely different game? That is, could you release your current work, make the changes, and release it as a separate game without feeling like you made the same game twice?

All questions you should ask yourself. It's hard for us to guide you much more without seeing the game.

Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »

I hear what you're saying - I'm guessing my question is a little too general. I guess what I was wondering is whether or not this is a common pitfall into which people fall. I think for now I'll build it according to my original plan; if I get the game to a working prototype I can at least evaluate it properly. Thanks for the feedback though.
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »

You have to decide if it's feature creep or much needed improvements.
Feature creep is common! Actually bdsowers answered your question in the best way possible.
I had this hobby project that took 2 years to finish because every time I reached 60% there were these thoughts "If I add this feature, it's going to be so much better!" Of course in the end it was a completely different game, but it also wasted a lot of my time that could be spent on better planned projects.

If your project is going to take another X years, it's not going to matter if you wasted these 4 months. But you can just quickly finish you current game and start a new one, incorporating your new ideas.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 06:45:35 AM »

I hear what you're saying - I'm guessing my question is a little too general. I guess what I was wondering is whether or not this is a common pitfall into which people fall.
It's not uncommon. In fact, it happens pretty often. Whether it's a pitfall depends on the circumstances.

As a project gets further in development, the cost of implementing changes increases. At a certain point, it becomes unfeasible. I don't know the scope of your project, if you're not even at 'working prototype' yet, it sounds like you've still got room to make significant changes before locking anything in.

Edit: Super Giant just released a large article on how they changed the implementation of their battle system significantly after hammering on it for some time. Might be relevant. A good read all the same.

JWK5
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »

Food for thought:

After making the changes, what if more major changes come to mind?

Are the major changes reflective of the current project or are they drastic enough to possibly below-the-surface ideas for a different game altogether?

Are the need for changes stemming from a desire to improve or momentary boredom?

What benefit will the major changes bring versus the benefits of staying on course?

Could you be satisfied with the game's progress as it is, or will only making these changes allow you to be satisfied?

Are the changes reasonably within your abilities, resources, time to commit, etc. or will it require you to life changes as well (acquiring more collaborators, shuffling your free time, etc.)?

Do you think you will keep pace or do you think the workload needed to make the changes might cost you momentum?
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »

I hear what you're saying - I'm guessing my question is a little too general. I guess what I was wondering is whether or not this is a common pitfall into which people fall. I think for now I'll build it according to my original plan; if I get the game to a working prototype I can at least evaluate it properly. Thanks for the feedback though.

There is no such thing as a to general question.

Your hypothesis is that doing some change will benefit your game. Doing the whole change will be lots of work. Ask yourself this: How can you prove/refute the same hypothesis with the least amount of work?

That said, a version control system with good fupport for branching is recommended, but not required.

Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. The questions you have posed have definitely helped me to think about the situation. I'd like to wait and see how the game turns out under my current plan before I make any major changes. I'm not under any time/money pressure so I'd like to just see how it goes. If it isn't fun when I'm finished then I can change it at that point. Thanks for the input, really helped.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »

If you have a good enough version, finish this one and then move on on the improvement in a new project

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic