Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:12:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer  (Read 16048 times)
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »

(For some reason, licecap is speeding up my gifs a bit!  It's not quite this fast in game!)

Infinite Oasis is an Action Platformer with Roguelite elements where you string together certain jumps like walljumps and kill enemies to rack up combos and get score to level up your weapons.  There will be 4 basic abilities in the game, you get one after you kill each boss, not including the final boss.  The abilities drop randomly, so you might get the superjump first, or you might not get it until the end of the game.  The levels after each acquired ability will be based on the current abilities you have.  The game will have different pools of levels to randomly choose from, and based on what ability you have, will choose from levels that are made for that combination of abilities.  For 4 abilities there are 15 different combinations of levels, I will be building many levels for each combination, and they will all be chosen at random for a run, hundreds of levels in the game means a seemingly endless amount of different runs.  Just like the levels, there will also be 15 different bosses, based on what combination of upgrades you have.

Here is a design graphic showing how a single run will be set up in IO.

Every time you start a new run, there will be a random weapon at level 1, you level up the weapon by getting to a certain score, if you get the weapon to max level by the end of the run, you unlock it which gives you the option to choose it from the start of the game at max level.  Any questions about my game are very much appreciated.  

I hope to start working on art once I get all the abilities and enemies coded in since everything here is placeholder. I will post progress at least 3 times a week on my tumblr located here, infiniteoasisgame.tumblr.com, as well as on this devlog on TIG.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:30:45 PM by Tox2000 » Logged
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »

Added a side dash ability, just 2 more abilities and I will be finished with the -core- mechanics of the game, and be ready to design enemies, build levels, and do art.  I'm very happy with the ability, but I'll have to polish the animation a bit, I was originally going for a Luigi Missile - esque move but it looked flat so I made him spin.  I'll have to make him fall on the ground and lay there until you move again.

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »

Added the last 2 abilities, the ground stomp and the airdash.  I also lowered the sleep when you get a combo, so it looks a bit better but I like the sleep effect so I wanted to keep it in at some capacity.  Good news is that now that I'm done with the core mechanics of the player, I can start working on enemies and doing art and building levels.  Woohoo!

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »

I started to seriously work on art.  I'll post an update once I get this tutorial level finished, so far I have some ground tiles done, but they're kind of messy so I'll have to fix them up a little, I'll know a bit more how to fix them once I get the backgrounds done though I think.

ALGSmith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:07:38 AM »

I think this looks really good, really like the pixel art.

Done any designs on the bosses yet?

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »

I think this looks really good, really like the pixel art.

Done any designs on the bosses yet?

Nope!  I'm just now finally trying my hand at art, so I'm going to pop out this tutorial level and hopefully then I can start designing the first stages and their enemies.  I'll work on the stage 1 boss afterwards.  But I know I have a lot to do, so I'll get to that as quickly as possible.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:12:17 PM »

Learning how to do pixel art, I'm improving a lot.  Took me all day to do this palm tree, but I learned a lot.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »

Art progress for the tutorial level, very unfinished but I figured I would upload some progress just to keep the log updated.  I have to add a ton more detail into the background and foreground, I want to animate the tree and fix the shading with the leaves, I have a lot to do but I'm really like the colors at least.

Oh god I left the mouse in the recording.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »

I added more detail into the mountains, fixed the shading on the tree.  Something still feels off.  I also still have a bunch of detail to add into the foreground as well.  Art is suffering.  But I am determined to learn and make this game pretty.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55:13 AM »

Update on the art here.  I'm going to go ahead and just finish this up tomorrow and move on to building more levels.

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »

I'm just gonna spend the entire day working on adding stuff into this tutorial level so I can finally move on.  But I need some feedback from you guys!
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »

Replaced the placeholder bullet sprite, added omnidirectional shooting, added the breakable blocks, replaced the placeholder sprite for the magic leaf in the pit, tweaked the colors of the mountains for atmospheric perspective, added clouds, vines, just art stuff. 

I'll try to get a HUD finished tonight and maybe I'll post again in a few hours if it's done.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 09:28:01 AM »

Just made my first video dev log.  If you're interested in that sort of thing, check it out, I'll be uploading there regularly.  

I have no idea why the video looks so crappy, the only thing I could really tell you guys is to check out my tumblr for high quality videos and stuff, they look so much better on there. 
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »

Here's the HUD, pretty happy with it besides the colors.  Shows your health, your current weapon upgrade and the locked weapon upgrades, XP bar, combo meter, and combo counter

Here is a closeup of it
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 04:19:18 PM »

Updated my tumblr with some new level art progress.  Does anybody know how I could upload longer webms to this site?  I'm not sure how I would take a video and cut it to post progress here on TIG.  Imgur crashes a lot with my longer videos. 

Anyway, here it ishttp://infiniteoasisgame.tumblr.com/post/112259902216/quick-little-update-on-the-level-art-i-fixed-the.  Please take a look at it.  I fixed the parallax a bit. 
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 06:21:55 AM »

Particle effects!

I wish I knew a way to upload higher quality gifs.  Everytime I try to make a gif the size/quality I want imgur says I can't go over 10mb or they'll change the file type to webm. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:30:22 AM by Jobox » Logged
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »

Looks good.

Try using puush. I'm not sure what the limit is but it's worth a shot.

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 06:41:13 AM »

Looks good.

Try using puush. I'm not sure what the limit is but it's worth a shot.

I'll try that out, thanks.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 06:50:05 AM »

testing new gif file host site

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 02:38:21 AM »

Sweet got the HUD working.  Now just need code in the magic upgrades for when your magic thing levels up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:18:03 AM by Tox2000 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic