Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:26:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer  (Read 15915 times)
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 01:31:42 AM »

Added a "shotgun" leaf attack upgrade thing.  Added some particles to the projectiles, some sound effects which I can't show in a gif but you could check my tumblr for the video.  Fixed a ton of bugs, too bad they weren't visual.  Haven't updated for a week.  Doesn't feel like a weeks worth of progress, but here it is.  I should probably build some new levels.  I just feel like I need to get the mechanics concrete before I do that.  

side note: this gif sped up the gameplay a lot.  woah.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:24:20 AM by Tox2000 » Logged
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »

Leaf explosions!  They're kind of hard to see against the sky so I might have to adjust that a bit.

Think I'll start working on some enemy AI now.  I've been postponing this for a while.
Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 02:44:28 AM »

Wrote a post but it didn't post.
Bright colours look good, and the game looks fun.
Smiley

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

Wrote a post but it didn't post.
Bright colours look good, and the game looks fun.
Smiley

Thanks!
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 03:23:14 PM »

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 12:48:09 AM »

I honestly love that gif, it is like you are speed running it! I hope that game isn't too slow Smiley

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 01:34:35 AM »

I honestly love that gif, it is like you are speed running it! I hope that game isn't too slow Smiley

It is a very fast game, but the recorder is speeding it up slightly, I can just barely tell.  I had to stare at it for a while to know, but it's not that much slower in-game.  Progress for today is slow, but I did add these little smoke explosions which I quite liked.  The day is not over though, I was just eager to share this because I think it looks so cute.  Got a bit of wind waker inspiration with the swirly's.  

Also, I really hope speedrunners play my game, I enjoy fast games and this is definitely one I think you should try to speed through.  (the combo mechanic is actually meant to encourage you to speed through the level, keep moving and keep killing enemies)
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »

Added a fire ability, and a little room transition effect which is pretty neat.  Then I changed the look of the enemies a bit, but I still need to do AI for them, and animate them.  I keep putting it off lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:26:08 AM by Tox2000 » Logged
Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 04:49:24 AM »

Looks really nice! I think the speed of it makes it feel really appealing, like you're trying to preserve speed/momentum.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more Smiley

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 06:31:38 AM »

Looks really nice! I think the speed of it makes it feel really appealing, like you're trying to preserve speed/momentum.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more Smiley

Thanks!

That's definitely what I'm going for, with the combo system and having plenty of enemies to kill, I want players to keep their combo up and KEEP MOVING. 
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:46 AM »

im seriously loving this! i dont know why but the vinework especially really does it for me, breaking up that blocky look a bit.

so what sort of mood are you going for with it? the setting seems tropical and the character is very cute, so in early posts i was assuming something kirby-esque, but the action seems pretty fast-paced. any hints yet as to what "the story" will be?

and finally a nitpick: the parallax on the cloud layer seems a bit quick maybe? looks fine when walking, but when you walljump it jerks back and forth oddly.

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »

im seriously loving this! i dont know why but the vinework especially really does it for me, breaking up that blocky look a bit.

so what sort of mood are you going for with it? the setting seems tropical and the character is very cute, so in early posts i was assuming something kirby-esque, but the action seems pretty fast-paced. any hints yet as to what "the story" will be?

and finally a nitpick: the parallax on the cloud layer seems a bit quick maybe? looks fine when walking, but when you walljump it jerks back and forth oddly.
I'm not really sure what mood I'm going for with this, but I do know that I want the game to be very bright and colorful with interesting enemy designs and lots of action and tons of PLATFORMING, you know what I mean.  

I'm not 100% solid on a story, but what I'm going with right now is pretty silly (but I love silly stories).
A group of friends get kidnapped by the ruler of this kingdom, the energy between them is so great that it's enough to power kingdom, which is what they want to use them for.  You play as the ladybug (or possibly the other friends if I decide to have more playable characters), who escapes while being transported, and you have to save your friends.

Also, I'm actually going to work on the parallax today, I don't know if you noticed, but there's no vertical parallax either, so I'll see if I can tweak it a bit to make it more appealing.
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »

I'm liking this insect slaughter fest, a happy insect slaughter fest at that. Any plans for larger, angrier enemies or swarms?

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:39 AM »

I'm liking this insect slaughter fest, a happy insect slaughter fest at that. Any plans for larger, angrier enemies or swarms?
  That is an amazing description of what I want this game to be, just sort of slaughter everything in your wake lol.  I really like beat em up games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, even Star Wars TFU where you just fuck up everything in your wake until you get to a really challenging boss, and I want to go that way with an action platformer.

I haven't implemented the AI yet so the enemies just sort of sit there right now, but they will serve as cannon fodder to rack up your combo and level up your weapon for when you fight bosses.  There will definitely be more challenging enemies in later levels, and swarms for sure, I want there to be tons of enemies to kill.
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2015, 04:02:10 AM »

Nice lookgin game, the gameplay seems to be quite advanced at this stage. Do you plan to add various environments ?

Follow us on playfield
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 04:51:52 AM »

Nice lookgin game, the gameplay seems to be quite advanced at this stage. Do you plan to add various environments ?
Yep, 4 other environments on top of this one, just been working on the gameplay mechanics before I add more environments.  Plus I have a lot of art to add to this environment as well, trees, flora, etc.  I'm thinking of making the environments based on the abilities, so a leaf inspired area, fire inspired area, electricity inspired area, etc.  I will see if this works, might be lame, who knows, I'm still idea-guying all of this up.
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »

There will definitely be more challenging enemies in later levels, and swarms for sure, I want there to be tons of enemies to kill.
'Nuff said. I'm excited  Grin

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »

There will definitely be more challenging enemies in later levels, and swarms for sure, I want there to be tons of enemies to kill.
'Nuff said. I'm excited  Grin
Glad to hear that man, I'm planning on releasing a full fledged demo in a month so, hopefully you'll like it!
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »

I'm having a bit of a problem with my particle system, if anybody could help me out I would really appreciate it.  Damn I suck at coding.  Here is the topic I started over in Technical.http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47181.0

EDIT: Fixed the problem, turns out I was creating a new particle system every step, which is ridiculous, I'm surprised my PC could handle that for so long before it dropped below 60 fps.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:58:29 PM by Tox2000 » Logged
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:09 AM »

Tried to put in some vertical parallax, I'll have to add some stuff in those background layers, like trees and stuff.  I think it looks ok.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:27:48 AM by Tox2000 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic