Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:22:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow multitalented are you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: How multitalented are you?  (Read 4203 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 04:37:21 AM »

i can all

@ same time

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »

You guys are pretty good at cracking me up Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:07:51 AM by Miziziziz » Logged

gwartney21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »

I can pretty much do almost every thing needed to make a game but by no means am I master at it the only thing i cant do is music production.

My name is Alex Gwartney I am currently a college student attending online classes at University of Phoenix. I am pursuing my associates degree in computer science with a concentration in Software Development.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »

Art : not sure dude
Pixel art: Lame/zero
Programming: Lame
Gamedesign: No idea
Animation 2d : Pro (well i got my diploma of it -_-')
Level design: oh well  
Marketing: really ? zero here
Writing: I love writing dumb stories and hoping smart people will try to enjoy them
Sound and music: Just zero

Ok more seriously I'll update soon my Malaika princess thread with a new video i hope , showing a lot of new things (not a lot but quite an improvment on many leves as music , sound effect , design etc )

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »

Dancing: Great
Singing: OK
Unicycle: Good
Juggling: Good
Juggling with Fire: Same as above, but hurts more when you make a mistake
Juggling with Chainsaws: Never tried, probably wouldn't be able to type this right now if I did
Karate: White belt
Jiu Jitsu: White belt
Driving: Seat belt
Jumping school buses on motorcycle: Average
Breaking out of prison: Very Good. I haven't actually tried this one either but I have broken INTO prison before and I figured I would just do the same steps but in reverse.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »

Outside of programming I dabble in drawing, modelling, and music production.  But I am a pretty crack sailor, best in class in my country and went to a few world championships for it.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »

Outside of programming I dabble in drawing, modelling, and music production.  But I am a pretty crack sailor, best in class in my country and went to a few world championships for it.

dang! that's cool!

JWK5
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »

I do most thing well enough to start them but not well enough to finish them (i.e. I excel at driving myself insane and confusing others).
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »

But I am a pretty crack sailor, best in class in my country and went to a few world championships for it.
I bet handCraftedRadio could out sailor you any day!

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:22 AM »

• I was once able to shout for really long but I haven't even tried it in many years.
  • I can totally forget what was said to me or even what I said myself just a minute ago.
  • If I try really hard I can stop caring about pretty much everything.
  • I can turn women off just by looking at them, some have even said they are afraid of me.
  • I can keep breathing smoke in for quite long, like over a minute.
  • I have an unusually high tolerance for most substances except alcohol and nicotine, coffee doesn't work on me at all.

I kinda wish at least one of those things was useful for gamedev.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 08:30:38 AM »

I'm a generalist artist and designer so....

2D Art - B+
Concept art - C
2D animation - C
3D environments - A
Texture painting - B+
3D sculpting - B-
3D characters - C-
UI art - B
UI design - B
Game design - A-
Game mechanics - B+
Level design - B+
Creative Writing - C

Then I'm currently working on business and marketing skills but I wouldn't feel comfortable scoring them yet Tongue so won't yet. but I'm enjoying the business side of things so far.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 01:07:36 AM »

So I'm a straight-up programmer by trade, but the talent I value the most is my ability to do big-picture planning, and the flexibility that is required to make things a reality.

People get "broad-strokes" and "big-picture" mixed up a lot: "broad-strokes" are just the ideas and concepts that make up a project, whereas "big-picture" includes all the finer details down to the individual tasks, it's actually big. Like fucking huge. In my opinion that's where most projects (games or otherwise) fall down, the project lead having less than 20-20 vision of the project.

In rough order

Planning - Ninja
Programming
Law
Finance
Marketing
Art - Student

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 07:11:59 AM »

Some great tips here!

Do you guys mind linking to one of your games and describing it? I like hearing about unconventially built games (like, where you compensate for lack of skill in one area by improving another part of the game)

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »

PM me, happy to do a short Q&A if you like Smiley

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »

So I'm a straight-up programmer by trade, but the talent I value the most is my ability to do big-picture planning, and the flexibility that is required to make things a reality.

People get "broad-strokes" and "big-picture" mixed up a lot: "broad-strokes" are just the ideas and concepts that make up a project, whereas "big-picture" includes all the finer details down to the individual tasks, it's actually big. Like fucking huge. In my opinion that's where most projects (games or otherwise) fall down, the project lead having less than 20-20 vision of the project.

That may have been it's initial meaning although I'm not sure it is. But when someone says they're a big picture person these days it tends to mean something along these lines.

"I only care about the final product and overall direction, the small components that make it come together are your problem I will guide the vision to the big picture.. I have all you underlings to do the nuts and bolts properly..."

I would personally never hire anyone who told me they are a "big picture person" because I assume that means they want to be management and do very little actual development. Tongue but thats me.

Edit - I'd say you'd be called a detail orientated person, rather than a big picture person oodavid if you care about everything...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:23:01 AM by knifeySpoonie » Logged

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 11:31:51 AM »

@knifeySpoonie - I dunno, I'm detail orientated to a degree. I guess it all comes down to what we've experienced with others; in the same way you'd never hire a "big picture" person I'd be wary of a "detail oriented" person - for me they're the ones that make projects late because they often have the blinkers on, incapable of seeing the true value of their work (or lack thereof).

In my experience, detail orientated people can really screw things up: little old me wrote a mobile data-collection app in about 6 weeks, including planning, server API and server database - it did everything the company needed and we've used it for 3 years without much issue. It's not overly complex, the magic is in the decentralised database, it does some magic things to keep on top of "latest" datasets, most of that is on the server. Anyhow, 8 months ago we realised we could save money in the long run if it worked on cheaper handsets so decided to pay a company to port it to Java (I used a framework having never written Java) Their ETA was 3 months, which seemed like a long time, but we accepted it knowing the overall savings balanced it out. 8 months down the line and they still haven't shipped because they keep making mountains out of molehills, . They've cost us a fortune, not only have their costs escalated but we had to buy 300 of the higher spec handsets anyhow! Had I been in possession of these facts from the outset I would have JFDI myself.

Lesson learned? Detail-orientated people are incapable of doing timelines or estimates. Nor are broad-strokes people, they're ignorant of the details. Whatever's in the middle? That's me Smiley

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »

@knifeySpoonie - I dunno, I'm detail orientated to a degree. I guess it all comes down to what we've experienced with others; in the same way you'd never hire a "big picture" person I'd be wary of a "detail oriented" person - for me they're the ones that make projects late because they often have the blinkers on, incapable of seeing the true value of their work (or lack thereof).

In my experience, detail orientated people can really screw things up: little old me wrote a mobile data-collection app in about 6 weeks, including planning, server API and server database - it did everything the company needed and we've used it for 3 years without much issue. It's not overly complex, the magic is in the decentralised database, it does some magic things to keep on top of "latest" datasets, most of that is on the server. Anyhow, 8 months ago we realised we could save money in the long run if it worked on cheaper handsets so decided to pay a company to port it to Java (I used a framework having never written Java) Their ETA was 3 months, which seemed like a long time, but we accepted it knowing the overall savings balanced it out. 8 months down the line and they still haven't shipped because they keep making mountains out of molehills, . They've cost us a fortune, not only have their costs escalated but we had to buy 300 of the higher spec handsets anyhow! Had I been in possession of these facts from the outset I would have JFDI myself.

Lesson learned? Detail-orientated people are incapable of doing timelines or estimates. Nor are broad-strokes people, they're ignorant of the details. Whatever's in the middle? That's me Smiley

Sorry I don't mean I wouldn't hire someone who's good at it and has it as a skill, I just mean I tend to find people who say "I'm a big picture person" as a selling point tend to be people who can't do much, and often spend too much time doing anything other than the Job Tongue maybe I just had bad experiences...

I would always want a really good project manager who can work out all facets of the production schedule and fit it together in detail.. but again that to me is a detail orientated person...

I'm definitely in the middle also.. At the moment I'm in charge of the entire design process for my game, from overall story/writing/big picture stuff, down to game mechanics and balance etc... I can't afford to be one or the other. Sometimes I need to say "thats good enough for now" and leave it, but I also need to get my hands dirty and work my bollocks off on tiny details when I want to make the game work and be fun etc...

As for your experience with the other company... That doesn't sound like detail orientated that sounds like fucking incompetent. I'd be suing/speaking to them for failure to deliver what was agreed in the time allotted. When the Job was a simple port. That's down to poor management/inability to schedule/and possibly not having the skills to do the Job before taking it on and estimating... I'd be furious with them and certainly wouldn't have paid up after failure to deliver the product.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »

One single anus: I have one single anus. I poop a lot more than other people but I still just have one single anus.
A wild fuckin imagination: I spend a lot of time thinking about going on missions with Wolverine. We're about to jump out of the plane which is going sooooo fast and he's like "So what's your name?" and I say "Wonderbread". "Wonderbread?" he says. "White, sliced, ready to go," i say pointing to just below my belt line. other variations of this scenario are about my ass. we're really tough and strong, the job is difficult, but together we win in the end.
Me and Wolverine are a great team: he couldn't do it without me.
I have only the vaguest memories of seeing a urologist at a hospital when I was young. I don't remember a lot of my childhood but I remember some dude had to peep my pecker for medical reasons. I'm circumcised but I didn't see men's dicks, asses, and other stuff like that until I got the internet so I didn't know about this at all. My dad caught a jeep to the brain and left us so I don't know where he is anymore and I don't want to talk to my mom about my dick: So it goes, my dick will just have to remain a mystery. That's life.
Don't know what the word hacker means anymore: used to be like, a guy who could mess up your computer and eject the cd drive and stuff like your computer was popping a boner lol but it was kind of scary even though site unseen you knew instinctively you could kick his ass. Now lots of people use this word to mean something completely different, but i dont actually know what they mean. what is a life hack? WHen that guy couldn't cut off yuki mishima's head Rofl. No seriously there's some idiot who puts butter in coffee as well who "hacked his biology" by putting a different kind of milk in his coffee. I don't know what it means any more. You can get like these gels and shampoos and stuff specifically for washing women's pussies. you can use them even ifyou're a man. just some hacking advice, keep the change kid Lol
Highly advanced brain: other people debate about who bruce lee could beat up, but i know immediately with 99% confidence when asked
I use martial arts training solely to retain the ability for explosive movements of the hips: so that I can shake the last drop of piss, pee pee if you will, without having to use paper (I think a lot about the environment
You know that smug sense of superiority people exude in arguments on line on message boards where guys pretend to know things but are clearly googling them for the first time and are better than everyone at everything: well i have that sense of superiority but for irl things. so when i'm watching the news it's like Guantanamo huh? Big deal. I could do much more fucked up sex stuff to Arab men than that.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »

Pussy is kind of a rude way of saying vagina by the way, in case there is any confusion.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »

Joe, you're one in a million.

Is there anything you can't do?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic