Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:24:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBest zero-programming game making method?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Best zero-programming game making method?  (Read 4287 times)
coolart
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »

I'm about to start my own commercial indie game and am amazing at everything but programming (3-D art, 2-D art, video creation, writing, voice-acting, utilizing royalty-free music and sound effect resources, etc) so do you have any advice for what's the easiest software or method to use to handle the silly, you know, "game" part of the game? Zero programming is a must, so it would have to be any kind of game maker that allows me to use the awesome that I do have to make an at least aesthetically amazing game. (for example my best idea so far is something called 'GameMaker Studio' by a 'YoYo Games', but it looks pretty simple so far so I don't know if it can use full video clips, but let me know if you know something better) A one-player 2-D fighting game interspersed with video clips of my fully animated computer generated characters and story would be nice, but game genre matters less to me than ease of use and having a blast on the game-making side of it. And yes I already thought of just making a film or webisodes but I want to hit this from a game angle as well. Thanks
Uykered
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »

Construct 2 is probably the best method for making 2D games efficiently, but if you're wanting to go straight to commericial then you'll need to find a game designer and a programmer (or just a programmer if you want to clone another game's ruleset design). If you want to tell a story then since you're already good at non-game things, just having it as video would work best or something like a visual novel, QTE, or whatever.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »

Look that first, everything is said

What is said at 20:32 is relevant to your interest

Btw look directly there and then start again to get the beginning:

Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »

Fusion 2.5 is good for Side scrollers. It's on Steam.

Sound effects in video are pretty awful, but this'll give you a general idea.

And this:

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »

Everything is programming even if you don't type it.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:37:18 AM »

Contruct 2!
Helps you lern programming logic visualy, which in turn is a good gateway to real programming

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 06:26:57 AM »

as a long time game maker user: don't use GM for visual programming. the drag&drop interface is terrible for anything more complex than a pong clone.
~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:33 AM »

as a long time game maker user: don't use GM for visual programming. the drag&drop interface is terrible for anything more complex than a pong clone.
I agree. It takes 20 km to program things you can write in 10 lines.

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »

I strongly recommend Construct 2.
 I have used some other visual things like MMF2. Construct 2 is the superior one IMO. I have been using it for years and don't know how to program. Then you could always learn a bit of java and stuff and write your own plugins if needed. I have never used GM but I do hear nice things. I believe both have free versions though so you could always download and give them a try. I'm sure both have excellent tutorials to get you started too!

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:48 AM »

Stencylworks !
That's what i use

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »

For visual programming, C2 is where it's at.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:21 PM »

Like most of the people in this thread I recommend Construct 2, the game I'm currently working on is using it.

coolart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »

I just spent hours testing several game-makers, including: Unity with all sorts of plugins (PlayMaker, Universal Fighting Engine, Platforming Starter Kit, Adventure Creator, and uFrame), Construct 2, Fusion 2.5, GameMaker Studio, Stencyl, and Ren’Py. But in my initial explorations of each, nothing immediately stood out as something super fun and easy. I’m willing to buckle down and use the tutorials much further to become proficient in whichever software I go with, but I’m really looking for the absolute easiest, least detailed way of making my own game, no matter what kind. (If I got to choose, I’d probably want a super-simple fighting game maker: One background, two characters, boom bam.) What game-making software and/or plugin is so fun and easy that it’s almost like playing a game in itself, as if I’m simply modding an already-complete game with my own awesome 3-D and/or 2-D art and story-writing, but which I will also be allowed to sell as a commercial game when I’m done? I’m willing to sacrifice tons of control for the sake of simply making ‘my own version’ of a game or game template.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »

well twine ...

also you can look at complete project in unity's asset store and skin those

start modding a game ... (to attract programmer)

there is plenty option

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 07:50:37 AM »

You should be spending more with each individual thing trying to make a really basic game such as pong, space invader, a really simple platformer etc. Most of them should come with tutorials for the basic concepts you need to understand to make a game within them.

Making a game takes time and effort, it has become easier but that doesn't mean that it has become effortless.

If you want a fighting game maker check out this, but be warned that it is based off of a really old and outdated program, so it comes with a lot of limitations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_Maker#2D_series

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »

grab a ball (you choose the size) and go outside and be between the ages of 6 and 16
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »

Stencylworks !
That's what i use

Yup, although now it's just called Stencyl  Grin

jay43k
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 06:42:52 AM »

As far as best and no programming I guess I would have to say Unreal Engine 4 using blueprints. 

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 08:15:03 PM »

for these specific purposes wouldn't mugen be the way to go?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:16 PM »

there is also a thing, it's called programmer, you talk to make games, but expensive

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic