Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:30:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBest zero-programming game making method?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Best zero-programming game making method?  (Read 4284 times)
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 10:33:07 PM »

do they do zero-programming tho? just asking, cuz that's the topic

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 10:36:53 PM »

Well yes, you don't program they do, it's as efficient if not more than visual programming, the result is teh same, a game compiled into binary, you can even script in plain language and schema via email or skype if you use a remote unit.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »

Well yes, you don't program they do, it's as efficient if not more than visual programming, the result is teh same, a game compiled into binary, you can even script in plain language and schema via email or skype if you use a remote unit.

I think this is under the assumption they have no money. Also even if you do get a programmer there's still the design-to-implementation issue.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »

Programmer can have a help function embedded in their natural language processor. I see no other solution since he has rejected all the popular non obscure alternative!

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 12:50:01 AM »

nothing immediately stood out as something super fun and easy.

Neither of those words describe game making. Are you sure you don't want to just play games?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 01:12:04 AM »

Programmer can have a help function embedded in their natural language processor. I see no other solution since he has rejected all the popular non obscure alternative!

Definitely, I agree Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed they have no money to hire a decent programmer making that venue unfeasible.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:58 PM »

i dont think the kind of people who like fighting are interested in / have the mental capability of understanding any stories tho

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »

so prejudiced

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »

i love fighting and bed time stories
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 02:40:51 AM »

ty based gimmy
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »

What game-making software and/or plugin is so fun and easy that it’s almost like playing a game in itself

This reminds me of

in WALL-E.

Not trying to me harsh here, but it's a VERY safe bet that if your game making process is as easy as you seem to want it to be, then the results will probably not be very unique or interesting at all.  Most of us have to sweat through this stuff, and it may behoove you to recognize this fact.

Burbank51
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »

for these specific purposes wouldn't mugen be the way to go?

Yeah, it sounds almost like you are looking for Mugen. I think there may be some light coding involved, depending on what you are trying to do, but nothing too fancy. There are a lot of pre-made resources (like characters and maps) that you can play with and modify, so it's not like you are starting with a blank template.

I play freeware indie games on my Youtube
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 12:48:03 AM »

there is also a thing, it's called programmer, you talk to make games, but expensive

not if you're partnering, which is a thing i'm doing

but you have to be good at/or demonstratably competent/passionate at/about art/music/game design/or all of the above before that can be even considered

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »

Pencil, paper, and dice?
A deck of cards?
A checkers/chess board and personal inspiration.

There's a rummy-style game called "Five Kings" out there - it's a double-deck of basic playing cards, except there are 5 suits.
With that in mind:

Play sets or same-suited runs, and then the opponent must discard that many cards from their decks. KO their deck to win.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:28:28 PM by baconman » Logged

Melon Mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »

If you aren't willing to learn programming concepts, you need to find someone to partner with for sure.

Even if you consider yourself a super great designer, you will be compromised heavily by using any "zero programming" tool out there.

SheridanR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 10:44:14 PM »

I didn't even know Construct 2 existed until a couple months ago, is that what all the non-programmers use these days?

Anyway, my advice to OP is: if you can't program, then don't look for a package that'll let you avoid that aspect of making games. Just find someone who CAN program and work with them directly. Honestly if you're as good as you say you are at literally every other aspect of game development then you should be able to get bites within days, all it takes is a show of serious effort on your part... kind of like dating. So if you are knocking around some new game idea or something, then got off this forum and GET TO WORK, maybe as if you already have a programmer. Build those sprite sheets, record some audio, design some levels, whatever. That way, when you finally DO get your programmer (which should happen in a matter of DAYS if you already have a good start) then you will glom with him better than peanut butter and pickles. (yes, I actually ate that as a kid. multiple times! the pickles actually contrast nicely with the peanut butter, you should try it)

harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »

I wish there was a zero-art game making method. I guess technically there are text-based games, but that's pretty restricting.
coolart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 03:07:05 PM »

I'm deciding between GameMaker Studio and Construct 2. The latter looks more fun and easy and effective in every way so far, but its apparent lack of exporting to the major gaming consoles, Xbox 360/One and PS3/4/Vita, leaves me wondering if GMS, which clearly exports to those consoles, is my only choice. So my question is: Is there ANY way for me to make a game in Construct 2...and then export it to those consoles with an extra step?
Melon Mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »

I'm deciding between GameMaker Studio and Construct 2. The latter looks more fun and easy and effective in every way so far, but its apparent lack of exporting to the major gaming consoles, Xbox 360/One and PS3/4/Vita, leaves me wondering if GMS, which clearly exports to those consoles, is my only choice. So my question is: Is there ANY way for me to make a game in Construct 2...and then export it to those consoles with an extra step?

GameMaker Studio is only an option if you want to learn to program. GameMaker is more powerful than people give it credit for, and a big part of it's appeal is how quickly you can develop your game, largely thanks to it's scripting language GML.

If you go to GameMaker just to use the drag-and-drop interface, you're in for a woeful time. Even the youngest beginners ditch that fairly quickly.

If you want to develop games by yourself but don't want to learn any programming, you've picked the wrong hobby.
JWK5
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2015, 02:39:02 AM »

You're in for a lot of learning and trial and error with just about any tool you choose to work with. Your best bet is to just pick one and see where you can get with it. If you don't seem to be breaking ground after a fairly legitimate effort try a different one. The biggest factor is not going to be how automated the tool is but rather how understandable it is to you personally. If you can understand the tool you can do the work no matter how roundabout it might be.

I've pretty much dabbled with any game making tool I can get my hands on but Game Maker Studio is probably my favorite. I've spent enough time with the various iterations of Game Maker that I always immediately have at least a general idea of how I might go about putting an idea to work with it. That is the key, no matter which tool you choose to use it is going to take time to become familiar with it, and the more familiar you are with it the easier things get.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic