Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:45:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBest zero-programming game making method?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Best zero-programming game making method?  (Read 4286 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2015, 03:05:16 AM »

honestly you should probably just get over your fear of code and use game maker. GM is seriously easy to learn once you get over the initial mental roadblock everyone has when they first try programming. i consider myself to be a terrible programmer and ive made a large project (and several small ones) in GM (this was pre-studio even).

if you want to make a game you'll have to either learn programming in some form (visual programming is programming too) or use a "genre-specific" tool like rpg maker or twine.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2015, 04:32:41 AM »

honestly you should probably just get over your fear of code and use game maker. GM is seriously easy to learn once you get over the initial mental roadblock everyone has when they first try programming. i consider myself to be a terrible programmer and ive made a large project (and several small ones) in GM (this was pre-studio even).

if you want to make a game you'll have to either learn programming in some form (visual programming is programming too) or use a "genre-specific" tool like rpg maker or twine.

Game Maker FTW!

Seriously, there are so many great tutorial series online that GM's scripting language is ridiculously accessible. Of course, you'll need some math knowledge and maybe some high school physics as well, but that's only if you want to make action games. Simple RPG's and the such should still be relatively easy to program. And don't forget, ask for help whenever you get stuck, the community is there to help!

I just read that you wanted to make a fighting game with animated clips. Game Maker does not support this natively, but I believe there are extensions out there that you can download to utilise .MOV files and some other video extensions.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »

game maker is barely easier than unity 3D

I DON'T GET IT

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 08:00:02 AM »

warioware diy

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 08:05:23 AM »

warioware diy

I actually laughed out loud. You sir made my day by mentioning that legendary game!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 08:20:28 AM »

i'm dead serious. don't laugh.

coolart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »

Thanks all! I assume I don't want to get into GML at all--unreasonable perhaps but I want to see what I can do with something simple; story and presentation are my forte, not a ground-breaking game--so I'm leaning towards Construct 2, but I'm spending today playing around with game-makers.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »

I hear good things about Construct 2, so it's great that you select it. But even if your forte is story and presentation, you will need to learn programming to progress further. At least you can learn the basics with it.

...Also you can work with a programmer xD

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 02:49:51 AM »

You could make something like Tabletop Simulator. If you found a physics engine, made a board game and left the rules up to the players you could make a digital board game with minimal coding. You could spend most of your effort on a detailed board and pieces, music and sound.

This is kinda silly, but I'm just tryin to think outside the box. Or inside, as it were.

Oh god make it stop.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 06:32:31 AM »

Game Maker I'd say.
Tryzna
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »

Depends on the game you want to make. If its somethink "simple" like platformer or shmup give Stencyl a try, i ve made my first project in it and while there are some limitations i dont regret it and it was pleasant experience(only thing i can complain about is long compiling time when your project gets bigger).
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic