Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:54:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDeath Heap - Kill ninjas and climb their corpses!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Death Heap - Kill ninjas and climb their corpses!  (Read 963 times)
madcap
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »

I'm Justin Luk - a game developer from Calgary, Alberta (Canada Woo!). Since August last year I've embarked on making games.

Death Heap is a game that was created for LD31, I'd love to get some general feedback on it. How do you feel about the controls? Player feedback? Is it clear what you need to do to win?

Kill ninjas and climb a pile of their corpses to win! :D
http://madcapacity.itch.io/death-heap
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:47:50 PM by madcap » Logged
RichSG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:21 AM »

Fun game! Controls are really crisp, feedback/objective is clear. Nice work!

The only thing I would say is that each time I played I basically ended up filling most of the level with enemies, in order to jump  to the top. It didn't seem like there was any strategy  that would work reliably (I tried standing in the same place and killing enemies in the same way to try and get them to die in the same place, but a lot of them went to different areas, ie: it look pretty random how they died).

Obviously variety is nice too  - it would be good to see more enemy types etc. But I guess as a LD game you probably didn't have that much time  Wink

Overall though fun and easy to play, and tight controls.
phillipfoshee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:42:55 AM »

Only had time for one run right now. 1:45 and 44 deadies. Kinda started developing a better strategy at the end of the round, so I'll play a bit more later. Nice! Good music track too. Thank you for not using something with wobble-bass.   ;P

B-12 (Brantisky Mk. 12) - https://brantisky.itch.io/b-12 - Free alpha download
Hoverbike Joust - http://www.indiedb.com/games/hoverbike-joust - Free alpha download
madcap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:00:55 AM »

I've been away on vacation so I wasn't able to respond to you guys.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I appreciate that you guys took the time to let me know your thoughts.

@RichSG: Yeah it isn't deterministic the when enemies get hit so you're right - it's difficult to build a strategy around when or how to hit ninjas. That's something I'll keep in mind for the next game I work on. Less randomness, more skill building.

Cheers!
TjTownsend
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »

Nice start! I would be cool if there were different moves that can be performed that cause predictable results for where enemies will fall. Or something where strategy comes into play... maybe different colored enemies that die in different ways. Like one type of enemy would just crawl over the pile and die in the spot you hit him, and another type that will always fly 60 pixels to the left, and another that always falls on the mirror side of the screen, etc.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Cool game, thanks for sharing.
madcap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »

@TjTownsend: Thanks! Yeah enemy variety is a good idea! I really like the idea of the one that crawls over the heap and dies where it gets hit.

Cheers!
TjTownsend
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »

Cool. Yeah I was thinking like in tetris when you see that long line coming and you are like "Yes!". That guy would be the same type of feeling. Like a freebie, but you still have to use it properly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic