Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:27:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Combat Squadron
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Super Combat Squadron  (Read 10175 times)
Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »

Super Combat Squadron!

An RTS written in HTML5.  Control your squad of super troops to aid your soldiers in combat against the enemy team.

Each player controls a commanding officer, who can be leveled during the match to gain new and more power abilities to aid their squad.

Multi-player support will be implemented using WebRTC.

This is the first game for a new team of developers.  We are pretty excited Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:18:19 PM by Sanojian » Logged

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »

The first mockup.  Artwork is inspired by the Advanced Wars games but the gameplay is real-time and quite different.

Terrain affects movement and provides cover.  Each unit type has attack values vs soft targets, light vehicles, and armored vehicles.  Capturing buildings gives you money or experience, which can be used to buy new units or level your commanding officer.

"Gibson" is the players commanding officer, who can be leveled up during the game for new abilities.  There will be various COs to choose from, each with different special abilities.

The plan is for 2-8 players co-op or versus.  Multiplayer will be peer-peer using WebRTC and a game matching service.  A single player campaign is also in the works.

Sam B.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »

Heya, I'm the artist in question here and Sanojian is handling all the programming aspect of things, together we're working on this game so if you have any questions or suggestions, post 'em here.
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »

Is this original artwork because it looks a lot like Advanced Wars?
Sam B.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:29:36 PM »

It's all original, Advance Wars looks like this:

The style is directly inspired by it but there is no copying or plagiarism.

We're shooting for our game to Advance Wars as War for the Overworld is to Dungeon Keeper.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »

The trees, buildings and colors of the units are probably what makes them feel too similar. The tiles are very pretty, although I would like to see that seam in the road get removed. Other than that, I love advance wars and probably will love this too :D
I'm curious how it will work out real-time.

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:36:25 AM »

I had a hard time finding out information about creating a dynamic texture atlas in Phaser, the engine I am using to develop the game.  I made a blog post about how to do it in case it is useful to for the next person to try it.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »

I'd tweak the graphics so they look less like Advance Wars, I think it will hurt he project in the long run, and you will get sick of hearing about it.

The characters, trees, cities and the overall colors look pretty much the same.

I'm interested to see what the gameplay is like though

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 06:27:24 AM »

Heard of the Advanced War but never played it, but the artwor...Nevermind.
I like the real time instead of turn based gameplay and lovely graphic, would like to see how it turn out. Is it tile based movement, or is it only the background and the movement will be free?(non-tile based?)

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:37:50 AM »

It's all original, Advance Wars looks like this:

The style is directly inspired by it but there is no copying or plagiarism.

We're shooting for our game to Advance Wars as War for the Overworld is to Dungeon Keeper.

There's a difference between original and identical. Yeah, your graphics are slightly, arbitrarily different making them not identical to Advance Wars, but the overall art design is direct ripoff making them VERY UNORIGINAL. If you took this screen shot and showed it to someone only casually familiar with Advance Wars and then told them, "Hey have you ever played Advance Wars 2?" or something like that, they'd believe it was the genuine article.

Why do you want your game to look exactly like Advance Wars anyway? I mean, if you're just trying to have fun making a game and don't care what the design is, then fine. But you are actually going for a different game design and concept, so why make it look so much like an existing game?

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »

Yeah I agree, it's not a rip-off but it's not original either. It's similar enough to be confusing, I only played Advance Wars a few times and a few years ago and I would not be able to tell the difference from memory.

A few things you could try:

- drastically change the colour palette
- make the team colours show up in accents, like coloured stripes, helmets, team logos etc. instead of colouring whole sprites in the team colour
- change the pixel density, the sprites look like they are 16x16 and the AW sprites look the same, maybe try making your tiles 32x32?
- use a different environment, maybe dead trees without leaves instead of pines? canyons instead of rivers?
- change the artstyle, instead of cartoony big heads and tank turrets try more realistic proportions
- make the units more varied in size, make the tanks twice the size of infantry for example

the list could go on, and making the game have a distinct look of it's own will really benefit you in the long run, especially considering that everyone will react similarly to how people reacted in this thread.

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »

Thanks for the criticism about the similar look to Advance Wars.  I think the Sam and I have something to talk about.

Is it tile based movement, or is it only the background and the movement will be free?(non-tile based?)

It is difficult to answer that because it is free movement, but the unit always stops on a whole tile.  Does that make sense?  I hope to have a demo out soon and you can see what I mean. 

Sam B.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »

Hey everyone, artist back again to answer artside questions and post a brief update:

(the image is too big but you can open it in a new window or scroll to the left, there are some units on the side)

Been tweaking the palette map a bit so things read cleaner. Trees went from too much contrast to too little now but I like how the grass blends better now. Also removed the seams from the roads as was recommended here!

As for everyone's concerns, I definitely won't say that it doesn't look like Advance Wars, from the get-go that was the style we shot for, though gameplay itself will be a lot more like Company of Heroes or World in Conflict if anyone has played either of those games, due to being real-time.

In the bottom right are some enlarge images of new units that may or may not be in the final version based on play testng; a Jeep, a Truck, an APC, a Medic, an LSVW, and an anti-tank infantry.

- drastically change the colour palette

This is actually quite easy to do, and the palette is still undergoing evolution as I work on various art aspects. Currently the entire terrain is exactly 29 unique colors, with a maximum of 32 I've allowed myself but I don't see myself adding too many new colors at this stage, in fact I might pair it down to less. You can see the palette bellow:

(slightly out of date with the current colors, I was tweaking the grass while I made this post)

That being said, while it still changing as I work, I do like the mix of colors I'm using now. There are broad strokes I can make like changing the overall saturation or brightness, but the feeling we are shooting for is brightly colored, cute and  happy feeling warzone, which I feel is conveyed pretty well so far.

Each game in the Advance Wars series tended to move further and further away from its cute happy origins into things like Days of Ruin, a drab brown desaturated game, which we're vying away from in favor of the feeling of the first original.

- make the team colours show up in accents, like coloured stripes, helmets, team logos etc. instead of colouring whole sprites in the team colour

Readability is paramount here especially when each unit is no more than 16x16 pixels wide. It may be easy to pick out from a screenshot what units belong to whom, but in real time where there are 10x as many guys moving around the player has to be able to glance at the screen and identify friends from foes, medics from infantry from antitank inf., who is damaged, who isn't, and a whole host of other information to be able to play effectively, there can be no room for confusion. Attached is the current team color palettes:

(in descending order: White, Blue, Teal, Green, Yellow, Orange, Brown, Red, Pink, Purple, Black, then some other assorted colors semirelated. Dev stuff.)

As you can see, each team has 6 unique colors to themselves, and share the same white, black, three shades of neutral greys for metal pieces like wheels and guns, and two shades of peach for exposed skin on infantry units.

Using the new units shown in my first image above, some could get away with being more neutrally toned, such as the APC with a team colored stripe, however this means introducing more colors into a palette that strives to be as minimal as I can manage, and for units that are already very small like the infantry, might introduce confusion over which player it belongs to if for example its only the infantry's helmet that is team colored.

- change the pixel density, the sprites look like they are 16x16 and the AW sprites look the same, maybe try making your tiles 32x32?

They are as you said, 16x16! That's the size we're shooting for, while I COULD redo every single art asset I've done so far to match a larger resolution, imo with pixel art games the smaller is better, both with asset sizes and palettes. Look what the gameboy did with only four colors! I strive to only make my artwork and palettes as large as absolutely necessary. I could capture more detail with larger units and tiles, but the game would lose its style and start looking like some of the weird "trying to be retro while targeting none of the restrictions retro games actually had" look that is all too common. Like something like Shovel Knight COULD have used twice as many colors and twice as large graphics but then it wouldn't have looked like the NES that it does.

- use a different environment, maybe dead trees without leaves instead of pines? canyons instead of rivers?

Dead trees aren't cute! That being said, I DO have a full set of canyon artwork that works like Starcraft/Warcraft's high and low raised terrain, it's just not pictured here as its too complex for our alpha at the moment. I do have an example to show though, from a much earlier alpha stage:

(with white and black team units instead of red and blue)

You can see the raised and lowered edges and it uses mainly the badlands mud terrain instead of grass everywhere, and also the badlands roads instead of asphalt roads.

- change the artstyle, instead of cartoony big heads and tank turrets try more realistic proportions

No can do can, both Sanojian and I right from the get-go agreed with eachother that we both like the "Cute War" look of things. While I am going to take steps wherever I can to make us distinct from Advance Wars, the cute look is to stay. Besides, even if we DID go 32x32 and gritty realistic war, we'd just end up being compared to ANOTHER Advance Wars 'Days of Ruin' which is exactly as you describe.

- make the units more varied in size, make the tanks twice the size of infantry for example

16x16, actually I did do as you suggested before, the infantry used to be even larger and fill up the entire 16x16 space, they made the tanks look really small instead of just sort of small. They were more detailed but the detail didn't do anything for them.

A lot of the posts so far have been the consensus that being Advance Wars-like in gameplay and style hurts us, but we set out from the start to target that look, style, and demographic, people who want a casual RTS that is simple enough for people who cant play games like Starcraft because the hurdle to get in is too high with the demand for exact build orders and timings and stuff. The last Advance Wars game came out in 2008 and even then the later games got darker and grittier and weirder than the original, even the second game was not as good as the first imo, so there's a big gap for this kind of content.

I don't think being compared to Advance Wars will be annoying or repetitive when that was the -entire point- from the get go, people don't deride War for the Overworld for being TOO MUCH like Dungeon Keeper, so I'm unclear as to why this is bad while theirs is not.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:29:01 PM by Sam B. » Logged
Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »

A little teaser animation of combat from Sam.

BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »

This seems cool except the art looks basically exactly like a combination of advance wars 1 and advance wars 2:

#1:

#2:

Your game:
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 11:43:09 AM »

I haven't played advance wars but I gotta say I LOOOOVE the art. The muted palette is pleasing to my eyes and the blending and spread of the colors is great. Some yellow in the grass and some blue in the trees...

Personally I like your art more than advance war's.

What you do with the art is your business, but just this obvious word of warning. Your never going to please everyone.

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »

Thanks for your comments.  We are in the process of revamping some of the artwork due to it being a little bit too close to the game that inspired it, Advance Wars.

Stay tuned for updates.

dszordan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

I hate to continue badgering you for something you seem to now be changing, but this bugs me:

"people don't deride War for the Overworld for being TOO MUCH like Dungeon Keeper, so I'm unclear as to why this is bad while theirs is not."

WtfO looks similar, definitely, I can't speak to how it plays. But from a glance, you can easily tell that the art isn't exactly the same. It's either improved upon or different in every way. But the early examples shown in this blog are literally the same sprites as AW. The modifications you've made are in the right direction, but at a glance it still looks like Advance Wars with a modified palette.

I think you're doing the right thing in changing the art, but it bothers me that you're being so nonchalant how similar it looks to AW and why you're being dismissive of the fact that that's generally frowned upon in an indie development community where rip-offs are a pretty hot topic in the last decade or less.
Sam B.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »

Just for you dszordan (and everyone else) I've taken a lot of the comments here to heart. The early images are yes very true a lot like Advance Wars, and as we develop the style remains in flux. Here is a screenshot of its most recent appearance:

Based on feedback from here and other places, some changes are
* Scrapping the Advance Wars style mountains in favor of lumpy realistic ones. The nobby mountains might still see use yet, but for now I'm working on making a chunkier mountains.
* Redid Cities to look less like AW, as well as made roads narrower.
* Rounded trees out a little bit minor tweaks there but overall I like how trees look, just color tweaks yet.
* A lot of the early tilework is too square for the direction its being taken now so I'm going to rework a lot of things like the water shores to better obfuscate the grid.

I made a great long post detailing every step of the new mountain process HERE.
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 08:39:45 AM »

No one seems to bother when one realistic looking graphic looks like another realistic looking graphic. But to be fair with those complaint, the new mountain is pretty nice.

A little teaser animation of combat from Sam.
The animation is quite nice, but lack frame, currently it just looks like 4 or 5 frame. Not that it's all bad, it does have the strength of it if, say, the whole animation is the same pace as it is. is the final product gonna be that?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic