Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:18:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: ◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷  (Read 37765 times)
tinyDino
Level 1

Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »

Ill just add to the general consensus and say Dat pixel art though  Shocked
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »

Thanks a lot for nice feedback ^^. I think it's really interesting to work with a really limited framework. The resolution of the final game will be much lower than oldschool VGA. I think it's kinda interesting that low-res itself is not much of an issue as long as you have unlimited colors Smiley

----------

Sorry, haven't updated in quite a while. Have worked on more character tests and functional stuff.....doesn't make a lot of sense to post lame stuff that's not interesting to anyone ^^

Siilk is busy writing the foundation of our interactive-object code. Most complex part of development so far and crucial to add functional content. After this step we'll be able to finally show something that resembles a game Big Laff

2 more NPC tests:

and a quick mockup of Tris

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »

i think i'll do a character a day from now on besides the usual work on the environments Tongue

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »

You art is wonderful. I hope the gameplay follows the same path.
posting to follow.

Good luck on your project !
TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2015, 05:49:55 PM »

Really interesting concept, and a great looking game. I'm really interested to see how this develops.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »

mini update. finished about 90% of a new location.....i'll upload more tomorrow

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »

a few more NPC images before i go to bed.

it'll take a little bit longer before we can post proper ingame material. Siilk is still working on the interactive object system that handles dialogue and items. most complex bit at the moment and essential to add all the little bits

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »

Yeah Beer!, we were mentioned in an article on MOTHERBOARD Smiley

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-dirtiest-job-in-video-games

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2015, 06:33:50 AM »

Hey everyone, Siilk here. Today I'd like to tell you a bit about my current task, implementation of the dialogue and multi-stage interactions in DNC. For an adventure game, dialogue trees are one of the core mechanics so making it potent and flexible is very important. Hence I avoided any kind of hard-coded dialogues and decided to go with dialogue processor approach, with tree-like data structure to hold the dialogue data a dedicated general-purpose processing code that would bring it to life.

I started with designing a data unit, a single dialogue node that will become building blocks for dialogue trees. To represent a single "step" of the dialogue, each node must have basic data fields(NPC speech to display etc) and also be linked to other nodes(child nodes for lower-level subtrees, back to parent node etc). So I decided to use GameMaker's object to build dialogue node from as it allowed me to use it's built-in rudimentary OOP support and add data fields to the object itself instead of creating data structure from an array or a list. This also gave me another unexpected advantage but I'll get back to that later.

In it's current current form, each dialogue node object contain prompt text(text that will be shown as player's choice for an option that will lead to this node), descriptive text that will be displayed when player will "enter" this node(NPC speech in reply to his choice etc), a couple of internal use fields to contain unique name of the whole dialogue and the node itself and a list of child elements(nodes this node will allow player to "move" to; this will represent dialogue options for this node). After some testing I also added a redirect field. This will be used to turn the node into a single-prompt redirect node that can be used to bring player back to a higher-level node. Such nodes can then be used to create a tree-like structure (a directed graph to be exact) that will represent a single dialogue with all possible choices and transitions between them.

After the basic data structure was more or less functional, I implemented the dialogue controller, an object that will act as a processor for dialogues. It's purpose is to draw the dialogue UI, process player input and change active dialogue node depending on player choice. Controller is still in it's infancy and so far lacks proper GUI(I use text output for debug purposes) but it already does the most important thing: brings dialogue data structure to life. Smiley

The biggest limitation this systems have so far is the lack of conditional changes to the dialogue graph. Ideally I would like to make conditions dynamically addable at runtime but so far it seems that it might be impossible to do in GameMaker. Another thing I would love to do with this is to implement a graphical dialogue editor that will allow us to create dialogues visually via custom-made GUI instead of writing the GML code to describe the graph structure. This is when nodes being GameMaker objects will come in handy as I will be able to draw them directly instead of creating the wrapper objects to represent each node on the screen.

There are of course other things like adding a field to store NPC emotion, dealing with multi-character dialogues etc but that's the distant future I guess. So far the most important thing is to add the actual GUI drawing subroutines.

Here are some work in progress style gifs of what dialogue UI looks like right now, as seen in DNC testing area.

Current testing text-only UI

Same stuff with debug overlay turned on(yeah, I'm a bit of a debug output junkie)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:52:53 AM by Siilk » Logged
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2015, 06:40:58 AM »

Nice devlog, thanks! I'll also soon start working on the dialogue system for Wanderer and it's very interesting to read how other are tackling it!

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »

This looks incredible and I love the premise! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

slarti88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2015, 07:22:38 AM »

This looks really good. Posting so I get updates!

Working on 'The Light Inside Us'
Twitter - http://twitter.com/slarti
Devlog - http://bit.ly/1JPumh4
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »

Nice devlog, thanks! I'll also soon start working on the dialogue system for Wanderer and it's very interesting to read how other are tackling it!
Cool, glad you liked it! Hope it will be useful for you. =)
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »

I love the overall look of this game (your art particularly), great job and please post more.

Here's a imaginary beer for the really impressive work, cheers  Beer!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »

I love the overall look of this game (your art particularly), great job and please post more.

Here's a imaginary beer for the really impressive work, cheers  Beer!

Corny Laugh Toast Right Beer! cheers and thanks a lot for the nice feedback.

i worked on NPC sprites and a few more locations the past days. i think i'll post some walkthroughs soon.

here is another quick location update before i go to bed:

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »

quick update before i go to bed:

worked on the exterior and interior of the bar a bit more. unfortunately it's horrible to work on more complex scene with game makers atrocious room-editor. i think there are alternative editors out there, but they are primarily used for more complex tile-setups. we on the other hand have lots of objects. does anybody know if there is an external editor that can import and handle objects?

and more NPC stuff

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »

really boring Sunday. spent the whole day separating PS-files into objects and importing them into GM:S  Cry

here are two examples

coroner's office exterior

backyard of Jack's company

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2015, 07:49:17 AM »

I relly really cannot get over the painterly pixel art it is too incredible! Yeah the GM pipeline is slow and demoralising.

Taxis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »

Great job guys, keep working that hard! Gentleman I think that your game will be a hit.
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2015, 12:51:59 AM »

haven't posted an update in quite some time. i fixed a lot of smaller issues which are not really interesting to show, but i also worked on some newer aspects of the game:

i added a few new tools and added a unified system for luminol/blood at crimescenes:

fooled around with some ideas for more creative menus:

also spent some time to come up with a funny team name. maybe the implications are too negative, but i kinda like it ^^:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic