Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 05:24:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingQuantum - Single/Multiplayer RTS
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Quantum - Single/Multiplayer RTS  (Read 16527 times)
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:38:20 PM »

Update: Gameplay/Editor Videos!

editor #1
editor #2

Update to Version 1.30!

Hi my name is Mario and the images above are from my latest game called Quantum.

Quantum is a simple adaption of the realtime strategy game Dyson focusing on multiplayer and adding some new game mechanics like alliances and routing. I was first asking Alex, co-creator of Dyson, wheter i could help them out and offered to write a multiplayer part for Dyson. Given their recent busieness due to the IGF nomination that was sadly not an option for some time. So i used the last month to write my own, uglier version to get multiplayer functionality. Alex told me to tell you that he's totally fine with this Smiley. You have been informed

Quantum is written in Java so you need to have that installed. The minimum version required is 1.5, for maximum speed you should use the latest version. if you have no idea what i'm talking about get Java here. Quantum was tested on Windows Xp/Vista and Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) and should run without problems. For maximum eyecandy you should also have a graphics card supporting OpenGL 2.0 or shader model 3. If you can't make any sense of that gibberish you'll know if the game looks like crap.

To play the game download it from the link given below, extract it and double click the file quantum.jar. You can get future updates automatically by using the check for updates button in the main menu. If you can't find a human oponent just create a new game vote for a map you'd like to play and add as many bots as you like. If you are not satisfied with the bot you can script your own. just look into the file bots.txt in the games folder. Don't forget to play the Tutorial!

Please note that this is an early version. You might encounter bugs. If so please attach the content of the file log.txt to your bug report.

I'm looking for all kinds of feedback, e.g.

- bugs
- user interface suggestions
- comments on the game mechanics

Thanks for your time and responses!

download: http://apiservers.com/hosted/marzec/quantum/quantum-1.30-pack.zip  3mb
java webstarter: http://apiservers.com/hosted/marzec/quantum/quantum-webstart.php
source: http://code.google.com/p/quantum-game/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:15:26 AM by quantum » Logged
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »

the download works fine, but the link is wrong, I had to copy and paste it to get it to work.
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:40:10 AM »

oh damn it. i fixed the links. thank you very much for the information!
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »

Check for Updates button doesn't work. It told me that I am up to date even though you have a new version out. (in 1.16)

EDIT FOR GAMEPLAY FEEDBACK:
Game works great for me, I'm not good at it but it's fun. At one point I couldn't select one of my small planets, but when I came back to it later it was possible. Other than that, I don't see any other bugs.

MORE FEEDBACK:
You cannot select which map to play on before you start the game, it seems to be randomly picked.
Also a map editor would be nice, if you have the time for it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:21:52 PM by Kegluneq » Logged
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »

Check for Updates button doesn't work. It told me that I am up to date even though you have a new version out. (in 1.16)

EDIT FOR GAMEPLAY FEEDBACK:
Game works great for me, I'm not good at it but it's fun. At one point I couldn't select one of my small planets, but when I came back to it later it was possible. Other than that, I don't see any other bugs.

MORE FEEDBACK:
You cannot select which map to play on before you start the game, it seems to be randomly picked.

Accidentally clicked quote when I meant to click modify, my bad.
Anyways:
Adding too many bots causes the map to never load after you click ready. I tried to go with 7 bots.
You should consider the feature of choosing your color, I'd love to play as my favorite color every time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:29:33 PM by Kegluneq » Logged
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 05:29:20 PM »

At first I thought "this looks a lot like Dyson" then I realized it was intentional. Looks pretty cool.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »

Never mind about the map thing, I hadn't realized that you had to vote for it first.
Can't find anymore bugs at the moment, so I'll take this time to tell you that the glow effect looks really nice when you zoom out. Also it's very epic to see swarms of creatures move en mass towards the other planets (even if those other planets are yours XD)
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »

Yes the updater had a bug in a php script. it is fixed now. you have to get the latest version (1.17) manually from the site though. The nect versions will update just fine. Sorry for the inconvinience.

MORE FEEDBACK:

A map editor is included Smiley. Simply click the "Editor" Button in the main menu. Within the Editor thereÄs a help button which will give you (not so well described) instructions on how to use it. Make sure to save your maps with the suffix .map. The directory they should go to is dat/maps which the file save dialog will automatically open for you.

Adding too many bots causes the map to never load after you click ready. I tried to go with 7 bots.
You should consider the feature of choosing your color, I'd love to play as my favorite color every time.

Could you tell me which map it was you tried to play? The information you already gave should be enough for me to reproduce the bug.

At first I thought "this looks a lot like Dyson" then I realized it was intentional. Looks pretty cool.

Thank you Smiley i feared people would rip it apart due to it's simple looks.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:40:24 PM by quantum » Logged
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:32:30 PM »

Yes the updater had a bug in a php script. it is fixed now. you have to get the latest version (1.17) manually from the site though. The nect versions will update just fine. Sorry for the inconvinience.
Awesome.

A map editor is included Smiley. Simply click the "Editor" Button in the main menu. Within the Editor thereÄs a help button which will give you (not so well described) instructions on how to use it. Make sure to save your maps with the suffix .map. The directory they should go to is dat/maps which the file save dialog will automatically open for you.
My bad, I saw it but didn't notice it.

Could you tell me which map it was you tried to play? The information you already gave should be enough for me to reproduce the bug.
I believe it was "big"
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »

for those of you who don't want to waste much time on downloading and installing this i uploaded a few gameplay and editor videos to youtube. you can find the links in the first post.
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 06:26:17 PM »

What did you use to make this?
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »

The window size is too big, I can't scale it unless I hide my toolbar and move it up a little, it'd be nice to have a screen size option.
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:32:43 AM »

What did you use to make this?

Java with Jogl for getting OpenGL to work. I use Eclipse as my IDE  of choice, Maven for dependency management and automatic packaging and subversion for source control. Most of the graphical content is created on the fly. Only a few buttons where made with gimp. Developement time has been a month now, mostly due to the nice oss tools mentioned above.

The window size is too big, I can't scale it unless I hide my toolbar and move it up a little, it'd be nice to have a screen size option.

Given that quantum is a windowed application, would you mind if it maximizes itself on startup? you could later on minimize it and it would initially set the window dimensions to something sane like 600x600 so it easily fits on any screen. I'll consider a screen size dialog for the next release.

Thanks for the feedback, very appreciated.
medieval
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 07:57:52 AM »

This looks intriguing! I should definitely try this when I get the chance to.

One thing though...

Prove that you're here for more than just advertising.
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »

One thing though...

i'm sorry i didn't introduce myself in the proper forum. i read the guideline on posting a project and did the best to put enough information in my first post as possible. i myself would call this thread a spam thread. however, quantum is a fan remake of dyson which is and will always stay free. i have no financial interests as i have a perfectly fine job that pays my bills. i have a passion for game programming as well as playing games. i thought i'd share that with people on this forum as it seemed to be the apropriate place.

having said that here's what i think: i can not possibly prove that i'm here for more then just advertising. sure, i could visit random threads and "participate" in the discussion. but i use tig source primarily as a source for information. i love to browse the games in the database, read the news and lurk the forums, but it will probably take a while until i get enough reputation to not get banned for this spam.

i don't think i can fullfill the requirements as stated in the thread you linked. if they admins feel the urge to delete this thread so be it if that's the rules. i'm sorry.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »

Given that quantum is a windowed application, would you mind if it maximizes itself on startup? you could later on minimize it and it would initially set the window dimensions to something sane like 600x600 so it easily fits on any screen. I'll consider a screen size dialog for the next release.

The thing I like best about windowed applications is that they ARE windowed. Instant maximizing would make it feel like full screen. Unless you mean what your talking about as a one time thing, then that'll be fine.
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 08:56:01 AM »

The thing I like best about windowed applications is that they ARE windowed. Instant maximizing would make it feel like full screen. Unless you mean what your talking about as a one time thing, then that'll be fine.

i solved this this way now: the first time you start the game it has a predefined position an size. the size is a lot smaller then the size used in version 1.18. if you resize or reposition the window this properties get saved. the next time you start quantum the window will be in the state it was when you closed it. this behaviour will be available in the next update which should be done by tomorrow. i'm currently refactoring large portions of the code an interfaces so that takes some time.

as always thanks for the valuable feedback!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:28:53 AM by quantum » Logged
quantum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »

I worked a bit on Quantum this weekend. I could get rid of a couple of performance bugs, change a lot under the hood which eases my pain of adding new stuff to Quantum. Here's a list of things that you as a player will notice:

• Fixed a bug concerning the ally/foe buttons. The click areas are now correct
  • Fixed the zoom speed when using the cursor keys. It is still not time based, i'll do that in the next version
  • Changed the tutorial dialog boxes to proper dialogs. Instead of an ugly box with text in it it's an ugly box with a header and a button now
  • Added a single player mode. This is probably the most useful addition in this release. You can now simply selected "Single Player" from the main menu, add a couple of bots and select the map you want to play. A simple click on the start button and all hell breaks lose.
  • Changed the game over screen. it is now a proper dialog and will ask you wheter ...
  • ... you want to save the game you just played for later replay. To replay recorded games just click the "Replay" button in the main menu and chose the file you saved your game to
  • The window size and position are now stored when you quit Quantum. Thanks to Kegluneq on TIG source for pointing that issue out
  • Fixed a bug that impacted the performance on single core machines a lot. The game should now be a bit faster overall

You can get the lastet update to version 1.19 either via the auto-updater or from  http://apistudios.com/hosted/marzec/quantum/click.php?url=quantum-1.19-pack.zip
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »

1.17 claims to be up to date even though you have 1.19 out.

1.19 is great, new stuff works perfectly. But the old clicking bug is still there, this time i came across it while playing the last part of the tutorial.
It'd also be nice if you could have either a window at the bottom giving planet stats like in Dyson, or a very small delay for planet stats when hovering the mouse, right now it takes too long to find out detailed planet info.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:40:21 PM by Kegluneq » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 01:59:52 AM »

One thing though...

I actually recommended that he post it up here.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic