Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:29:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: SOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure  (Read 92133 times)
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:16:43 AM »

Updates

25/02/15 : Added Environment concept, drone and laser gifs.  As well as level design peak to the front page.

Hi Guys, I introduced myself over at http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.msg1104529#msg1104529 if you want to know a bit about me.

SOMERVILLE at it's core is a cinematic platformer with responsive shooter mechanics.  It draws influence from my beloved days of grinning through Eric Chahi's Another World but dragged through a nice contemporary wash.

CONCEPT WORK SNIPPETS

MOTION CONCEPT WORK SNIPPETS

UNITY GAMEPLAY SNIPPETS

WHERE I'M AT

Right now I'm still in the prototype phase.  Character control, animation system and shooting is all in place.  All need tweaking and adding to but its functional.  I'm currently hooking up enemy AI to join the party.  I'm aiming to have a prototype arena, proof of concept trailer and vertical slice all done by October this year.  Until then I will be posting in here as frequently as possible, with my tumblr devlog being a venue for rounding up the posts of the month from here into nice digestible chunks.

Lovely to meet you all.

Let us begin.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 01:27:11 AM by Olsen » Logged

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:48:48 AM »

Looks really nice, good luck with this project!

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:52:47 AM »

This looks awesome!

Though I kinda wish John's transformation into a member of Daft Punk looked more like a Magical Girl sequence. Wink

I kid, I kid! This has a very Out of This World feel. Which is a Good Thing.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:01:03 AM »

This looks awesome!

Though I kinda wish John's transformation into a member of Daft Punk looked more like a Magical Girl sequence. Wink

I kid, I kid! This has a very Out of This World feel. Which is a Good Thing.

Haha, yeah it's super Daft Punky.  That whole design was just a lazy mind fart to test the 2D effects out in 3D space.  Oh I forgot it was Out of This World in almost every other territory than EU.  How dare me.

Looks really nice, good luck with this project!

Cheers brosef!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:20:27 AM »

Continue. Excellent start to this devlog...

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:46:23 AM »

Continue. Excellent start to this devlog...

Cheers mate.  Shall be posting my progress on a nightly basis.  Nearly 3am and I've COMPLETELY shat all over my anim system to quickly test new things out. 

Must. Remain. Diligent.

NIGHT!

Music Vortex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:18:09 AM »

Very cool! The animations look great and the whole concept sounds like my kind of game. Keep it up!

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud|
Twitter
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »

This is almost perfection. I see my beloved Flashback in there. I want, yes.

Yeah.
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »

Thought I'd bring over from my tumblr one bit of the alien concept work my good friend James did.  Currently working on changes to the 3D model to bring in for John to shoot the tits off.  It's neck needs some GIRTH!

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »

Also an early concept for defeating such minion and the foundation for all the shooter mechanics.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:33:48 PM by Olsen » Logged

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 01:16:26 AM »

Also an early concept for defeating such minion and the foundation for all the shooter mechanics.

Broken image link.
Otherwise, this looks fan-friggin-tastic, man. I had to look at that transforming loop twice to see if it's 2d or 3d, and that's a great thing to pull off. Also loving the color scheme. Great stuff!

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 03:20:38 AM »

Cheers mate.  Hmmmm, i dunno what's going on with the broken image.  I'm seeing it right here and it opens at the direct URL below

http://s15.postimg.org/3mgi16mtl/mechanics.gif

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »

Looking superb. This is quickly becoming one of my fav devlogs.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »

How are you liking Mecanim to setup your animations? Sometimes I think it's a bit overkill when programming might be easier (especially for cases where I have to manage sprites for 4 different directions). Sometimes I think it's wonderful.

Have you considered using substates to simplify that state graph a bit? I find them pretty useful.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »

How are you liking Mecanim to setup your animations? Sometimes I think it's a bit overkill when programming might be easier

It does the job I find.  However this is coming from an artist background with limited coding perspective.  Originally I had my good friend coding on it but I felt like I was missing out on the invaluable knowledge to be gained through doing it myself.  I have however cheated with the use of playmaker but I've yet to hit the walls that I presume are coming.  The big plan is to do the prototype arena, vertical slice and a proof of concept trailer myself with minimal help.  Then bring people on board with all my pre-production in place.  

I'll definitely be doing a substate clean up in the future but I'm currently in a momentum phase of smashing out anims and plugging them in very easily, albeit in the messiest of ways.

Vesper
Level 0

"Sometimes... Good shit happens."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »

This looks awesome! i love the graphics style

Archendrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »

This looks great!  I love the style. The two .gifs in the original post look amazing! Can't wait to see more!
Sub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »

Wondering if you're from / have been to Massachusetts?  There's a Somerville near Boston

It Usually Ends In Nuclear War, a 4x strategy game

9001, a fast paced action arcade game
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 12:59:44 PM »

Looks pretty epic! Hope it is or will be backed up by great story telling.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 12:38:22 AM »

Wondering if you're from / have been to Massachusetts?  There's a Somerville near Boston

I am aware of the town but it doesn't really play into my use really.  I'm from the UK.  The original reason for John's second name was a place holder for a scottish name I just threw in there.  Then later down the line I did some research and found the origins lay in a Knight of William the Conqueror's and an Irish minister in 1690 who fled to Ireland.  Both who had stories that held values to the character I was writing.

My girlfriend says it's too American a name for a story set in the UK but I kind of like that it encompasses a place, a person and history that relates to the character. 

Long story short, it fits, so I kept it. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic