Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:23:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: SOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure  (Read 92149 times)
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2015, 06:08:05 AM »

Cheers guys, much appreciated. 

I'm currently going full ham on blocking out the game's prologue from start to finish.  I've reached a stage where I have roughed out the mechanics to the point where I'm confident they will serve as intended for the early stages of the game.

I overhauled the level structure and story treatment for pacing and player development purposes and it feels good to go forward.

The prologue will be a little teaser that I intend to release to give people an idea of the basic mechanics and introduce folks to the world.

As to not get distracted by art, I'm working in this monochromatic style and essentially speeding through as fast as I can with a few lights, basic shapes and place holder text.  Also found a method to force 21:9 aspect ratio no matter the resolution which I'd like to experiment with.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2015, 07:05:24 AM »

ROOM TRANSITIONS - TRIGGER AREAS

Messing with the most performance light options for transitioning rooms.  Currently sticking with masking off with planes and dimming the master directional but really want to do something staccato-like when I go back and do the art pass, the Eternal Sunshine Transition below is stuck in my mind for now...

Also implemented interactive areas yay!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »

Looks awesome man. Kudos for the inspirations from an amazing film.

The lighting changes, the clouds, the architecture, the general aesthetic... you're going to get a LOT of comparisons to Kentucky Route and that's not a bad thing, although I'm sure some will complain it's getting ripped off visually. I think the more neon you implement, the more it will differentiate. And mechanically, they seem very different so that will likely also alleviate the comparisons. But just looking at that GIF, it looks like it got pulled straight out of KRZ.

TL:DR... This is looking great.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »

Cheers man.  Yeah it looks like a right rip off in its current condition.  I blame the clouds!  But this placeholder stuff doesn't represent anything other than framing to me. The only things that represent where I'm heading in tone and direction are my very early look dev tests from the first page.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »

HUB LEVEL DONE!

Full Youtube clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LHlq2DWK4&feature=youtu.be where you can watch all the other facets in 1080p 60fps at your leisure.

So I've got all the basic functionality I need out of this area.    Super happy I found a method to add procedural camera noise in code.  The still pixels really got to me.  It's a gameplay-light environment and art heavy so I'm gonna park it to avoid art-creep and move on to the core portion of the prologue - the obligatory forest level! 

Moving forward I've got a good understanding how I want to handle the "action" portions to follow.  I'm going to mix these locked off cameras with my box camera (see previous posts) so we've got control over the back and forth within a controlled framing.  Can't wait to get cracking on the puzzles, action and cinematic shenanigans I have planned.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2015, 12:15:13 AM »

Wow good job, the camera movements are really classy!

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:25 AM »

Wow good job, the camera movements are really classy!

I agree, very nice camera work between areas! It does remind me a lot of KRZ, but at the same time it has such a different pace and feel to it that it feels very unique even at this stage
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »

Cheers guys!

I've always been a big fan of flexible semi-fixed camera framing for these types of games.  Obviously in a hub-like environment I have a lot more flexibility as it doesn't have to be as reactive to player movement but I'm definitely going to pull the camera around in the action areas to some degree.  I love the idea of toying with scale and having the player be a tiny little pea at some points.

Still, baby steps but my motivation is stoked thanks to all the positive support.  So thanks for that.

Got a week off this week.  Think I'll turn back to level design before I dive in to building next week.  Need to develop some interesting challenges for John despite him being a little peon lost in the woods.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »

Just noticed the comment that the current style is placeholder art? But that KR0-esque style is so good and atmospheric...
The final game's not going to look like that?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »

Just noticed the comment that the current style is placeholder art? But that KR0-esque style is so good and atmospheric...
The final game's not going to look like that?

Placeholder in the sense that it forms the foundation to be built upon.  I'm not going backwards and replacing the tone, lighting or framing.

wearepinata
Level 0

Piñata Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »

This is looking ace! Very cool art style. Big fan of the neon on black stuff as well Smiley

Piñata Games
Facebook // Twitter

We made Tamak and Magnetix
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »

A BREAK FROM THE GRIND - MOVEMENT STUDY

So I've been hammering the writing and level block out side for the last week and a half (and Bloodborne), soon to inform the schedule I'm putting together with the help of the misses for an October milestone.  All of that stuff is a bit boring visually so I've reserved posting anything about that.  Now reaching a super exciting point in the game that I've used as a nice break from grey blocks and walls of text to just have a little animation play for a few hours.

This is ETNA.  She badass.  Make JOHN look like puny human.  We'll be seeing a lot of her, both in and out of her suit over the course of the game.

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »

I just want you to know i'm developing an unhealthy attraction to the visuals in your game.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:39 PM »

I just want you to know i'm developing an unhealthy attraction to the visuals in your game.

Cheers man.  I welcome all attractions, healthy or unhealthy.

CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »

I keep rewatching that last gif.  Those animations are so smooth

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2015, 03:14:57 AM »

Too awesome! Keep up the great work
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »

Gorgeous stuff.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2015, 05:28:54 AM »

Damn, that looks gorgeous

How do characters and movement like that fit into the core gameplay structure?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59:58 AM »

Damn, that looks gorgeous

How do characters and movement like that fit into the core gameplay structure?

Well this character is an NPC but she's essentially a showpony for what's to come.  I dont wanna spoil anything but JOHN will evolve to fight the good fight as will the mechanics.

TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2015, 06:14:40 AM »

These animations are absolutely gorgeous - but it makes me wonder if you are going to have a fair time of it making npcs which move that smoothly? I assume you are going to need a lot of blend spaces etc.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic