Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:59:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: SOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure  (Read 94820 times)
DifferentName
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2015, 06:58:21 AM »

Wow, this game looks amazing. The animations really raise the bar!

nickgravelyn
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:01 AM »

A BREAK FROM THE GRIND - MOVEMENT STUDY

So I've been hammering the writing and level block out side for the last week and a half (and Bloodborne), soon to inform the schedule I'm putting together with the help of the misses for an October milestone.  All of that stuff is a bit boring visually so I've reserved posting anything about that.  Now reaching a super exciting point in the game that I've used as a nice break from grey blocks and walls of text to just have a little animation play for a few hours.

This is ETNA.  She badass.  Make JOHN look like puny human.  We'll be seeing a lot of her, both in and out of her suit over the course of the game.
Oh man, that is slick. The shadow cast from the blast of the weapon just puts it over the top. Super cool.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2015, 09:50:49 AM »

[speechless]

I'll just go ahead and...

*clicks notify*

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »

DAAMN
this just keeps looking cooler and cooler

deroesi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »

very cool indeed.... your animation quality is top-notch, impressive stuff

.....the computer is just a toy, you are the tool.

my cg portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
my indie project - http://moldgame.wordpress.com
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »

Thanks guys, happy you dig.  Can't wait to show how all these pieces link together to make the whole.

These animations are absolutely gorgeous - but it makes me wonder if you are going to have a fair time of it making npcs which move that smoothly? I assume you are going to need a lot of blend spaces etc.

Well this animation is a canned anim for a character introduction via trigger event. So it just plays out.  Most NPC interaction outside of the enemies will be tightly scripted.  But yes, regarding the player controlled character and enemies - I'm going somewhat insane with anim blends right now. 

TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »

Well this animation is a canned anim for a character introduction via trigger event. So it just plays out.  Most NPC interaction outside of the enemies will be tightly scripted.  But yes, regarding the player controlled character and enemies - I'm going somewhat insane with anim blends right now. 

Nice. I would love to see this level of smoothness in a gameplay sequence!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »

Thanks guys, happy you dig.  Can't wait to show how all these pieces link together to make the whole.

These animations are absolutely gorgeous - but it makes me wonder if you are going to have a fair time of it making npcs which move that smoothly? I assume you are going to need a lot of blend spaces etc.

Gameplay will be as well animated as that? Damn, that's crazy. Cant wait to see

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2015, 07:49:25 PM »

I'm just posting to subscribe

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »

Hey guys, long time no update, apologies for that.  Had life stuff "visiting inlaws" over these last 2 weeks then scheduling and treatment finalising.  Then last weekend I took part in my first game jam with Ludum Dare.  Was a great learning experience and I only just managed to push something through.

Can play it here if you like...

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=51053

word of warning, needs checkpointing system I bloody ran out of time to implement.

Playthrough here if you can't be arsed. 

So, returning to Somerville.  Pushing hard to get the prologue playable from start to finish in a rough Probuilder form, still working on level design, will post a mockup this weekend of what I intend.  Outside of that I've been dialing in player control in my platforming arena and annotating the shit out of everything so it's nice and tidy.

More interestingly I got a nice little demo from my good friend Lee.  He's been working on the audio here and there.  I sent him a nursery rhyme-esque jingle a while back and he just riffed (spelling?) for a good 6 mins.  I really love it and can't wait to see where it goes when he pushes a few electronic or orchestral influences toward the more exciting set pieces.  He insists it's just a demo and was quite hesitant letting me post anything but I don't give a shit after 20 replays. Check it below.

Thanks guys, again, apologies for the lack of updates.  Doing all this part time makes things hard to stay consistent but now life and ludum dare is out the way expect to see daily updates.

Cheers

Chris

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2015, 11:36:56 PM »

nice ludum dare game! the checkpoint system would have been my first complaint Smiley
it took me ages getting past stage 3, as I never noticed there was a gap and a way to go under the nasty. I jumped from the top to get past

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2015, 11:57:52 PM »

nice ludum dare game! the checkpoint system would have been my first complaint Smiley
it took me ages getting past stage 3, as I never noticed there was a gap and a way to go under the nasty. I jumped from the top to get past

Haha cheers, you went the speed run method!

I'll do a quick update this weekend to make it more user friendly and upload it somewhere.  Also add an ending worth a damn.  Was a fun experience to make it though.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »

FOREST MOCKUP

Just a little break from grey level blockouts to work up a little wooded area.  Sorry if it's too dark, poor visibility be key to survival and gifcam crushes all things close to black.

Also designing levels around a intermittent light source or focused beam as a mechanic is proving hella challenging.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »

This is the 21th century another world
TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »

Wow, what a fantastic looking game! I'm really forward to seeing  (and hearing!) how it develops!

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2015, 08:48:18 AM »

@TopherPirkl + @bakkusa Thanks guys!

JUNGLE GYMING

Currently focusing on my combat/platforming test lab where I can run all the mechanics through their paces and build a nice prefab library of environment triggers that I can drop into my level blockouts.  Implemented slidey things tonight.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Oh wow, those animations are wonderful.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »

This is a project I will be sure to follow, great work so far!

2ndStudio
Level 1

Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2015, 12:58:14 AM »

Really cool style ! And animations as well.  Well, hello there!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2015, 01:06:09 AM »

Wow I really like the sliding! Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic